Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Baltimore...my hometown
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 2, 2015 01:40

Cool version of the Randy Newman song by Nina Simone. You don't need to comment, folks, this ain't meant as a political post. Just dig the tune and the words. Watch "The Wire" if you wanna know. Almost all of "The Wire" is based on real Baltimore sh*t.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Baltimore...my hometown
Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 2, 2015 01:44

And don't forget Love In Vain from Ya-ya's!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 02:54

Baltimore is a city with soul and heart. I lived there for four years and taught in an inner-city school. One of the best and most rewarding experiences of my career. The southern most city north of the Mason-Dixon. Lots of love for Baltimore and a cry for justice.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 2, 2015 02:58

Isn't Baltimore in fact two separate cities?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 2, 2015 05:30

As Zappa used to sing, "What's new in Baltimore" ?

Posted by: kohoutek ()
Date: May 2, 2015 05:58

Pretty sure Baltimore (and the entire state of Maryland) is actually below the Mason Dixon, isn't it? Anyway, it is a great town and I hope the troubles will end there soon.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 2, 2015 06:52

Whitem8, that is so cool that you were a teacher in Baltimore, you're a good man.

I grew up in Maryland, the Eastern Shore, where I still have family. The state is an interesting divide of northern and southern sensibilities. Used to take the bus into Baltimore when I was a kid to see shows, still love to visit. It's a great town.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 2, 2015 08:27

whitem8
Baltimore is a city with soul and heart. I lived there for four years and taught in an inner-city school. One of the best and most rewarding experiences of my career. The southern most city north of the Mason-Dixon. Lots of love for Baltimore and a cry for justice.

strong support for your message and for the people of a great town and state.

Date: May 2, 2015 15:08

kohoutek
Pretty sure Baltimore (and the entire state of Maryland) is actually below the Mason Dixon, isn't it? Anyway, it is a great town and I hope the troubles will end there soon.

It is, that is a joke that a lot of Baltimorians say as a reflection on how much the city has changed into a North eastern coastal city. Lots of love in Baltimore. Great food too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 15:25 by whitem8.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:12

ROCKMAN

Date: May 2, 2015 16:35

Thank y'all for your kind words regarding the old hometown.

Regarding the Mason Dixon Line, it was considered the dividing line between the northern and southern states back in the day. You can still find remnants of it - stone markers and such - along the Maryland-Pennsylvania border. During the American Civil War, Maryland held itself to be a Southern state and wanted to join the other states that had seceded from the Union. This would have left Washington, D.C., in Southern hands. The U-S government wasn't going to let that happen, so Maryland was pushed to remain part of the North. Funnily enough, the folks on the Eastern shore of Maryland often muse about the idea of seceding from the rest of Maryland because of cultural/political differences from the folks on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. And that's it for today's history lesson.

Love the song "Streets of Baltimore". Great song to sing along to. There's some other great versions of the song on utoob. Go check 'em out.

Date: May 2, 2015 17:46

...the folks on the Eastern shore of Maryland often muse about the idea of seceding from the rest of Maryland because of cultural/political differences from the folks on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay.

Don't give a damn for the whole state of Maryland, I'm from the Eastern Shore...our motto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 22:59 by latebloomer.

Date: May 2, 2015 17:55

I read that Baltimore in fact is two cities: one being wealthy and doing well and the other being totally different: poor and 'chanceless', where the black people live and try to survive. So talking about 'Baltimore' seems not right to me.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2015 22:55

kleermaker
I read that Baltimore in fact is two cities: one being wealthy and doing well and the other being totally different: poor and 'chanceless', where the black people live and try to survive. So talking about 'Baltimore' seems not right to me.

That describes so many cities in the USA that singling out Baltimore doesn't make much sense.

peace

Date: May 2, 2015 22:58

Naturalust
kleermaker

That describes so many cities in the USA that singling out Baltimore doesn't make much sense.

peace

But when we talk about Baltimore for instance, about which city do we talk then, if you understand what I mean?

Date: May 2, 2015 23:34

kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker

peace

But when we talk about Baltimore for instance, about which city do we talk then, if you understand what I mean?

Yes I understand what you are saying but it's a strange way to think about a city. confused smiley A city doesn't describe a homogeneous class of people, rich or poor or in-between or an area of equal opportunity or equal housing. It is usually defined strictly in terms of geographical area and includes all the people and structures within that area.

It may make sense to identify which area of the city is affected by certain things like riots, but it's all still one city and due to relatively close proximity to the rest of the city, these actions can easily spill over to affect other areas. Plenty of cities where rich and poor neighborhoods are pretty close to each other and many people in wealthy, high opportunity areas embrace the diversity and less fortunate people in their cities and vice versa.

Where do you live kleerie? Is it any different there?

peace

Date: May 3, 2015 00:06

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker

peace

Yes I understand what you are saying but it's a strange way to think about a city. confused smiley A city doesn't describe a homogeneous class of people, rich or poor or in-between or an area of equal opportunity or equal housing. It is usually defined strictly in terms of geographical area and includes all the people and structures within that area.

It may make sense to identify which area of the city is affected by certain things like riots, but it's all still one city and due to relatively close proximity to the rest of the city, these actions can easily spill over to affect other areas. Plenty of cities where rich and poor neighborhoods are pretty close to each other and many people in wealthy, high opportunity areas embrace the diversity and less fortunate people in their cities and vice versa.

Where do you live kleerie? Is it any different there?

peace

We're very well informed here by our journalists about Baltimore and its segregated structure. So there's no Baltimore but two totally different and separated areas that both are named 'Baltimore'. But in fact those two areas only have the name Baltimore in common.

The situation here in Holland is, alas, becoming worse, but one can't speak yet of what is called here 'American conditions'.

Baltimore was the first segregated city of the US I read (with all its social-economical consequences) and here we don't have segregated cities. Also, the gap between the rich and the poor is much less deep here, though it has grown disturbingly during the last three decades.

Of course here too are social-economically different quarters, but there are no 'no go' areas in our 'big' cities like (in order of size of citizens) Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht and Eindhoven.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 3, 2015 00:21

All cities, all over the world, for 3000 years have had "The other side of the tracks" even before there were tracks. "The haves" and "the have nots" is as old as mankind on this planet and they have not lived next to each other.

Date: May 3, 2015 00:44

kleermaker
We're very well informed here by our journalists about Baltimore and its segregated structure. So there's no Baltimore but two totally different and separated areas that both are named 'Baltimore'. But in fact those two areas only have the name Baltimore in common.

The situation here in Holland is, alas, becoming worse, but one can't speak yet of what is called here 'American conditions'.

Baltimore was the first segregated city of the US I read (with all its social-economical consequences) and here we don't have segregated cities. Also, the gap between the rich and the poor is much less deep here, though it has grown disturbingly during the last three decades.

Of course here too are social-economically different quarters, but there are no 'no go' areas in our 'big' cities like (in order of size of citizens) Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht and Eindhoven.

Yes we definitely have areas which are segregated by race and socio-economic factors here in America. It's pretty much always been that way in my lifetime so it's hard to have any other perspective, but we don't define our cities names in those terms.

Gangs have become more prevalent in all our larger and some medium sized cities and they generally have STRICT boundaries and territories, mainly limited to more depressed areas withing the cities. From my perspective, the relative safety of these "bad" areas seemed to go down when the crack cocaine epidemic hit the US with it's associated desperation, violence and profits...we've never really recovered. It has been somewhat perpetuated by the popularity of the gangsta mentality.

Still with all our problems, America is still a land of great opportunity, great people, excellent music and beautiful nature. I'm sure you would be treated very well in Baltimore or elsewhere in the US in 2015 kleerie.

peace

Date: May 3, 2015 00:47

Leonioid
All cities, all over the world, for 3000 years have had "The other side of the tracks" even before there were tracks. "The haves" and "the have nots" is as old as mankind on this planet and they have not lived next to each other.

Very true. I've been to Baltimore's Johns Hopkins University Medical Center many times over the years and I am always struck by that difference. I drive past the rivitalized tourist section of Camden Yards and the Inner Harbor, turn left and go a few blocks and the poverty is evident everywhere. It is the same in Washington DC. I've lived in or near the District for over 25 years and have never spent time in the Anacostia area. It's just not safe. It doesn't mean they aren't both great cities. It is, unfortunately, the way it is in most big cities, here in America and around the world.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 3, 2015 00:55

latebloomer
Leonioid

Very true. I've been to Baltimore's Johns Hopkins University Medical Center many times over the years and I am always struck by that difference. I drive past the rivitalized tourist section of Camden Yards and the Inner Harbor, turn left and go a few blocks and the poverty is evident everywhere. It is the same in Washington DC. I've lived in or near the District for over 25 years and have never spent time in the Anacostia area. It's just not safe. It doesn't mean they aren't both great cities. It is, unfortunately, the way it is in most big cities, here in America and around the world.
Great post LB... and I will add... if anyone thinks good and bad parts of cities is strictly an American concept and they go wandering around any and all sections of London Tokyo, Dubai, Hong Kong, Moscow etc etc thinking to themself "This isnt America, I am safe everywhere" then they are probably in for an unpleasantsurprise.

Date: May 3, 2015 01:38

Naturalust
kleermaker

Yes we definitely have areas which are segregated by race and socio-economic factors here in America. It's pretty much always been that way in my lifetime so it's hard to have any other perspective, but we don't define our cities names in those terms.

Gangs have become more prevalent in all our larger and some medium sized cities and they generally have STRICT boundaries and territories, mainly limited to more depressed areas withing the cities. From my perspective, the relative safety of these "bad" areas seemed to go down when the crack cocaine epidemic hit the US with it's associated desperation, violence and profits...we've never really recovered. It has been somewhat perpetuated by the popularity of the gangsta mentality.

Still with all our problems, America is still a land of great opportunity, great people, excellent music and beautiful nature. I'm sure you would be treated very well in Baltimore or elsewhere in the US in 2015 kleerie.

peace

I've of course nothing against Americans in general, but the American social-economic system with still an important racial factor is not a system I feel comfortable with. Of course there are places and countries where things are far worse, but it's shocking to know that in such a rich and prosperous country half of the people live below the poverty line, many people not having medical insurance, being forced to have more badly paid jobs etc. Well, I don't have to tell you what you already know. Here in western Europe we have basically the same system but it's generally more mellowed by more progressive income tax and by better social security. But now I tend to go into politics and that's forbidden here so I withdraw from the discussion.

Date: May 3, 2015 01:50

Re latebloomer comment about Anacostia in Washington, D.C., Anacostia is slowly starting to be gentrified, along with parts of the eastside of D.C. I wouldn't yet call these safe areas, but change is coming and the people who called Anacostia home will be displaced like in many areas of major cities around the world. Harlem in New York City here in the U-S-A is an example.

Regarding Baltimore, having lived there for most of my life, I can say it is and probablty will always be a city of tribes - ethnic, skin color, socio-economic, etc. Where you went to school, who you know or are connected with, are important things there to this day. As noted in a comment here, poverty bumps right up against wealth in areas of Baltimore. Growing up in Baltimore you learn there are dividing lines, streets/hoods, where you don't venture unless you have business there. You do your business and get the hell out of the area.

Look closely at "The Wire" television series. It points out the tribal instincts of Baltimore, the differences that can exist between people living/working side by side, the way people conduct themselves depending on where they are. I guess this tribal instinct exists in most large cities, especially those where ethnic groups have settled and claimed areas as their own. You belong or you don't. You know where you can go and where you can't.

Date: May 3, 2015 02:11

You know, I see what you are saying about Bal'more. I only lived there four years. However, I was teaching down near Federal Hill, and often would walk from the Department of Ed to my home. Through some pretty rough areas. I am tall, white and had a pony tail. But never once bothered. Well once! And some cats on the stoops were starting to yell stuff at me. But then some other guys leaned out the window and said, "lay off man. He teaches the youngins!" And from that day forward no one ever bothered me. I often was seen with my class doing walking trips, all of us holding hands, and people would great us, smile, and were so friendly. So while, I see what you mean about tribes, the great thing about Bal'more is if you try you can cross the tribal boundaries and it can be a rich and rewarding experience. I loved my time there. And always love going back. I wish I was there now to march with those brave souls who have endured so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-03 03:52 by whitem8.

Date: May 3, 2015 02:29

You know, I see what you are saying about Bal'more...

I love it whitem8, brings me back home. The only thing you left out was the Old Bay Seasoning. I know what you mean about Anacostia. I don't get to DC as often these days, but from what I hear and read, the area is getting spruced up.
Here's a little taste of the Bal'more accent, which is really hard to replicate well. This kid does a pretty good job, but he doesn't hold a candle to my nephew. smileys with beer

Date: May 3, 2015 02:57

Yeah, I miss Lexington Market and a softshell crab sandwich with a beer.

Sunday Bloody Marries with old bay on the rim instead of salt. And a pickle.

Date: May 3, 2015 03:05

Sunday Bloody Marries with old bay on the rim instead of salt.

Here you go whitem8, you can have some of mine! Annapolis, not Baltimore, but close enough. smileys with beer

Date: May 3, 2015 04:10

OH man! That is my Sunday now for sure! Thanks latebloomer! I have the old bay on the counter, horseradish, limes, and tomato juice and some Grey Goose vodka. Going to make some swiss cheese/ham omelets, and tons of crispy bacon. Yeah! All in tribute to Bal'more!

Date: May 3, 2015 04:43

Man, if you gonna talk soft crabs at Lex market, that's cool. Soft crabs is one of my most favorite things in this whole world, but Lex Market has a place that sells fried chicken and Western fries to die for. I wish I had me a piece of that chicken and them fries right now.

If you wanna talk B'more and the food, you gotta go for a corned beef sandwich at Attman's on Lombard Street. It's gotta be on rye with mustard and a piece of pickle on the side and some Western fries. Holy fluck...an experience not to be missed. Yum yum yum. And, oh, don't forget Jimmy's down in the Point or the Sip & Bite in Canton for some down home eatin'. Ain't nuttin' like this is Arizona where I curently happen to be.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 3, 2015 04:53

Love this thread, dmay and others - making me homesick. Lived most of my adult life in DC and always a soft spot for Balmer.

btw, Kleermaker, Baltimore isn't 2 cities. From what I observed (but others would know better and more recently), in Baltimore there's wealth and power elites (among them is a significant showing of black folk); there are middle class people; there is working class (definitely both black and white); there's a "creative class" that's very mixed; there's lower middle class (both black and white--probably more black); and there is poverty (mostly black).

btw...Brussels today...yikes!

Have a hankering for some crab and Old Bay or'd love some Bertha's Mussels!

- swiss

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home