Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jagger and Bowie
Date: July 19, 2005 09:32

It's sooooooooo gay. Baboon Bro, don't forget "Man of Word, Man of Music" (US title "Space Oddity) and "The Man Who Sold The World".

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2005 09:46

I have to admit that I like their version, and the video, too. There is just so much charisma in those two ga/uys.smiling smiley

I have the original maxi single where there are few alternative versions. Best one is the one with only vocals without any background in the mix (and thereby not spoiled by that horrible mid-80's over-production). Only Jagger's voice shouting! You can hear him breathing between the shouts. That's cool.

(A critical note: perhaps the big boys try a bit too hard. Mick just shouts out, and David tries to sound cool by playing tricks with this voice. A result is not very natural, but funny though.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-19 09:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 19, 2005 14:44

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah it's Mick & Bowie doin' the old..You Be
> The Ham & I'll Be The Eggs routine.
>
> ROCKMAN
>
>

LOL!! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley Best summary of a video I´ve ever read!
Thankz Rockman!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2005 14:46

Hey Baboon glad I tickled ya ole son....ROCKMAN

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 19, 2005 14:47

The Menace of Mayfair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's sooooooooo gay. Baboon Bro, don't forget
> "Man of Word, Man of Music" (US title "Space
> Oddity) and "The Man Who Sold The World".
>
> "This scarf's in the wrong group!" Mick Jagger,
> Seattle 18/7/75

Yeah, it truely is. But somehow that peculiar Jones-guy gets away with it...
For me better than even Jagger does. I ´ate Jagger´s chicken dance & double-crossing style - but Bowie is Ok with me. But I prefer listening sooner than watching.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 19, 2005 15:08

Bowie is a great showman. One of the best.
As an artist he never pioneered, it was all done before. But he made it all very david bowie like. He did all sorts of genres and they all sounded 100% david bowie. Even his drum & base period.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 19, 2005 16:26

Dancing in the Street was in a movie, wasn't it. Was there a soundtrack CD released and what's it called?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 19, 2005 19:38

Hunky Dory works for me that's for sure but i can't get past the feeling there's too much pretence with Bowie.
I never really liked Mick and David's version of Dancing In The Street - the typical eighties production in addition to Jagger's forced vocal spoils it - Bowie is not very evident apart from the odd line here and there - give me the original any day.

Date: July 19, 2005 23:42

Ofcourse there is pretence with Bowie.
That's actually an important factor in what they called glamrock.
Same thing with Roxy Music (although personally, I don't consider it glamrock), Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Elton John,...

It doesn't have to be a bad thing.

About dancing in the street. Nice cover, but nowhere near the original.

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: July 20, 2005 00:25

Dancing in the Street - good video, but really I always thought just a bit of throwaway fun in a good cause- they always look like they are trying to outdo one another in those head closeups - really makes me laugh watching it.
I love Bowie 69 to 74, I love Bowie on Heroes and Low, BUT...mid to late 80's - absolute pile of crap, but he turned it round in style with 'Outside'- that is a great album. Also he has kept the form up sinc then, Hours, Heathen and Reality are good - I thought he had blown it forever with 'Tonite',etc.
One thing though - what about tin machine - was it as bad as everyone said - I didnt think it was.

Date: July 20, 2005 01:06

The first Tin Machine album is a fine album. Definitely worth a listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-20 12:59 by BowieStone.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 20, 2005 12:42

Very tongue in cheek,but for a worthy cause.There have been far better collaborations,Tosh and Jagger takes some beating.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home