Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Ernie Watts 1981
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 28, 2015 23:33

Classic player.
The irony is that some posters say his playing is amazing yet bag Mick Taylor for overplaying...go figure.

ernie watts overplayed during the 81 tour. ..at times he ruined it.
maybe he was simply too brilliant for the band..in the same way Mick Taylor was.
I hate the moments he played too much during the stinkin 1981 US tour.
Well...I like him more than Jaggers disgusting outfit and his stupid insipid vocals.
but hey...the tour rocked!! Haha

Date: April 28, 2015 23:41

Eleanor Rigby
Classic player.
The irony is that some posters say his playing is amazing yet bag Mick Taylor for overplaying...go figure.

ernie watts overplayed during the 81 tour. ..at times he ruined it.
maybe he was simply too brilliant for the band..in the same way Mick Taylor was.
I hate the moments he played too much during the stinkin 1981 US tour.
Well...I like him more than Jaggers disgusting outfit and his stupid insipid vocals.
but hey...the tour rocked!! Haha

Good point.

As I've said numerous times. You can enjoy and really love Taylor's playing. That doesn't mean it's always right for the Stones.

Watts filled a void that Taylor didn't fill, though, as Keith's riffs were massive in 72/73.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-28 23:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 28, 2015 23:44

Good point about jagger's stinkin vocals and outfit?

Yep agreed..great musicians might not mix for keith and Mick.

But all good...we all win.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2015 00:19

You'll find the TOP guest slot on these boots :
[www.dbboots.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-29 00:25 by dcba.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2015 00:20

Ernie did not only do the standard horn section bits but interacted with the band and kept the songs, and the sometimes astray guitarists, together. Kind of like a third, very reliable, guitarist.
It would have been interesting to hear what Perks, Watts and maybe Jagger has to say about Ernie's contribution to the 81 tour.

Date: April 29, 2015 00:21

Stoneage
Ernie did not only do the standard horn section bits but interacted with the band and kept the songs, and the sometimes astray guitarists, together. Kind of like a third, very reliable, guitarist.
It would have been interesting to hear what Perks, Watts and maybe Jagger has to say about Ernie's contribution to the 81 tour.

Indeed. He was the glue. In a way he was Chuck with good taste, imo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2015 00:32

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Indeed. He was the glue. In a way he was Chuck with good taste, imo.

Glad to hear someone agree for once! thumbs up

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 29, 2015 01:03

Mathijs
2120Wolf
dcba
tomk
he said he didn't enjoy it. Could be about money.
Ian McLagan mentioned that a few times.

Yeah I've read that too. You play full stadiums in front 80000 people and the end of the day when you divide the amount of money you got from Jagger by the number of shows you played with the Stones you realized you played for 1K a night.

Mmmmm....

Which was big money for a side man in 81'....Legend had it that Bowie was paying Stevie Ray $300 a night in 84....I was never big on Steve Ray V...he bailed of course....

Ian MacLagan had a nice story about the money -he negotioated the money with Jagger, and Ian was under the impression he was discussing a lumped sum for the total tour, while Jagger was talking about an amount sum per gig. I believe it was in the region of $30K per night.

Ernie Watts didn't like touring with the Stones as he felt totally secluded from normal life, and he was completely on his own. He said he played a gig for 1 hour, then spend 2 days in his hotel room waiting for the next gig. He didn't have any interaction with any of the Stones or touring entourage.

Mathijs

No way was it 30,000 a night. Billy Preston only got about $4,000 for Knebworth, so there's no way Jagger was gonna pay Mac that amount. Unless you meant 3,000 (or 30,000 for the whole tour). Anyway, I though McLagan took a lump sum. I'd have to check his book again, I can't remember. No way was it that much. Hell, they wouldn't even pay Bobby Womack's taxi fare.

Re: 81
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 29, 2015 01:56

Mathijs
BY his own account he hated touring with the Stones in 81, and declined for the 82 tour.

Mathijs

Well, on that "Just for the record" DVD boxset Ernie Watts is talking
nicely about the tour and the Stones.

1. "Mick asked Quincy Jones if he knew a good sax player"
2. "San Diego was my audition - in front of 80.000 people"
3. "The Stones are like a jazz band - playing different every night"
4. And he is talking respectfully about every member of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-29 01:57 by TooTough.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 29, 2015 10:39

tomk
Mathijs
2120Wolf
dcba
tomk
he said he didn't enjoy it. Could be about money.
Ian McLagan mentioned that a few times.

Yeah I've read that too. You play full stadiums in front 80000 people and the end of the day when you divide the amount of money you got from Jagger by the number of shows you played with the Stones you realized you played for 1K a night.

Mmmmm....

Which was big money for a side man in 81'....Legend had it that Bowie was paying Stevie Ray $300 a night in 84....I was never big on Steve Ray V...he bailed of course....

Ian MacLagan had a nice story about the money -he negotioated the money with Jagger, and Ian was under the impression he was discussing a lumped sum for the total tour, while Jagger was talking about an amount sum per gig. I believe it was in the region of $30K per night.

Ernie Watts didn't like touring with the Stones as he felt totally secluded from normal life, and he was completely on his own. He said he played a gig for 1 hour, then spend 2 days in his hotel room waiting for the next gig. He didn't have any interaction with any of the Stones or touring entourage.

Mathijs

No way was it 30,000 a night. Billy Preston only got about $4,000 for Knebworth, so there's no way Jagger was gonna pay Mac that amount. Unless you meant 3,000 (or 30,000 for the whole tour). Anyway, I though McLagan took a lump sum. I'd have to check his book again, I can't remember. No way was it that much. Hell, they wouldn't even pay Bobby Womack's taxi fare.

Could be 3000K per night. Didn't Ron Wood earn $200,000 for the entire tour?

Mathijs

Date: April 29, 2015 10:46

Mac quit because he didn't get as much as Billy did, didn't he?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 29, 2015 10:47

TooTough
Mathijs
BY his own account he hated touring with the Stones in 81, and declined for the 82 tour.

Mathijs

Well, on that "Just for the record" DVD boxset Ernie Watts is talking
nicely about the tour and the Stones.

1. "Mick asked Quincy Jones if he knew a good sax player"
2. "San Diego was my audition - in front of 80.000 people"
3. "The Stones are like a jazz band - playing different every night"
4. And he is talking respectfully about every member of the band.

O sure. But the interview is from 30 years later! There's this interview from 83 or 84, where he really slammed the touring with the Stones. Not the Stones or the music, but the endless waiting in the hotels and the loneliness.

Mathijs

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 10, 2016 20:38

Mathijs

It was a struggle between Jagger and Richards -Jagger wanted to tour with a brass section, Richards wanted a stripped down version of the Stones with only a piano player.

After auditions of various pianists they settled on Stu and Ian Mac Lagan. After the disastrous Philly opening shows, and the subpar Buffalo show, Jagger insisted in getting a sax player. They hired Ernie Watts, who had problems playing raunchy RnR solo's, so they took Bobby Keys on board starting in LA, October 9, to play on LIB and BS. Apparently Jagger also wanted to hire the horn section of The Tower of Power after their guest stint in San Francisco.

Mathijs

Mathijs, you are an amazing and most knowledgeable Rolling Stones fan. What you say here makes much sense. I'm wonder how do you know, "It was a struggle between Jagger and Richards -Jagger wanted to tour with a brass section, Richards wanted a stripped down version of the Stones with only a piano player."

I'm also wondering how do you know, "Jagger insisted in getting a sax player."

And, "They hired Ernie Watts, who had problems playing raunchy RnR solo's, so they took Bobby Keys on board starting in LA, October 9, to play on LIB and BS."

And, "Apparently Jagger also wanted to hire the horn section of The Tower of Power after their guest stint in San Francisco."

Tower of Power played with the Stones in San Francisco? I had no idea. I learn a lot from you over the years. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. I'd love to know your sources.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-10 20:44 by exilestones.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 10, 2016 20:51

Mathijs
stanlove

I don't know about the reaching further and extending stuff ,sounds like music critic rambling,

I find Ernie Watts just utterly fantastic on the 81 tour. He really added a melodic sense to the tracks he played on, enabling the band to really extend and reach further than they ever been. And I love his sound.

First and last time they played 10 minute versions of Let Me Go, Imagination, BoB, WOAF, LIB etc.

LIsten to the band jamming on Imagination from Hampton -even Bill Wyman starts freewheeling!

Mathijs

Yes, I agree and listen to Tempe, especially on Just My Imagination! (not the edited version)

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 10, 2016 23:33

Mathijs
I find Ernie Watts just utterly fantastic on the 81 tour. He really added a melodic sense to the tracks he played on, enabling the band to really extend and reach further than they ever been. And I love his sound.

First and last time they played 10 minute versions of Let Me Go, Imagination, BoB, WOAF, LIB etc.

LIsten to the band jamming on Imagination from Hampton -even Bill Wyman starts freewheeling!

Mathijs

+1 .....and I love his playing on Miss You.......and Neighbours

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: February 11, 2016 03:07

swimtothemoon

At the Rockford show my friend and I observed the sax player would
Continually get in Mick's stage space. Mick may have even bumped
Into him. I always thought this was Ernie Watts but it now makes
More sense that it was Lee Allen.

This had more to do with Lee Allen being removed from the tour. He didn't know the show wasn't about him.

As for Ernie being related to Charlie, Mick clarifies this during the band introductions during the Hampton 12/18/81 show:

"On saxophone, Ernie Watts.
On drums, no relation, Charlie Watts."

Not sure I've heard him do that at any other show during that tour.

Re: Ernie Watts 1981- Eddie Money - Sax?
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 11, 2016 04:45

People don't forget...Didn't Eddie Money play sax on a couple of shows he opened for The Stones?

PECMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home