Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Steel Wheels--Urban jungle Tour-----Just great
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:06

saw the Rolling Stones the first time in 1970 in Essen. great performace there--But the "Sound"--just terrible. 1973 Munich---much better and a really Good Mick Taylor--76 I saw them 4 times. "hand of fate" was awsome. Saw the Rolling Stones 78 in Anaheim and oakland / micks 35 birthday---it really rocks......

Then 12 Years nothing. Missed the 81/82 tour.
Sure--bought all their records--and then...... 30th of may in Cologne 1990
What a show---superb Sound---Great setlist. and----WHAT A STAGE! I was impressed,

I thouhgt the Rolling Stones days are over, but I remember that this would be the start of of new Stones-LIVE--years

Sure i saw a lot of Voodou Lounge---Bridges Licks--concerts-----But 1989/90 I will never forget

Roll on Stones ---and the best wishes for the new Tour

Re: Steel Wheels--Urban jungle Tour-----Just great
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:21

Have to agree. Certainly the best sound I've ever heard - but also the best lighting. Ronnie on form too. Just a celebration. The SW stage was even better!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:25

hey havo those 1978 calif. gigs ..were u @ the shoe show,,,how were they that day..

Date: July 16, 2005 00:31

HI Chippy A really hot Day there. i Think--they opened with "let it rock"---I was in the middle of the crowd---Cant remember the SHOES

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:34

You were wearing your slippers.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:41

what hap was ..someone probly thru their clothes up on stage ,,& jagger said well ya midus well throw your shoes up 2..next thing ya knew the stage was covered with shoes....theres a pic of this out there from some1 right on the stage

Date: July 16, 2005 00:42

maybe---it was my first sTONES stadium Show in Anaheim 78
Maybe I lost my shoes

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:46

I agree with Havo. Steel Wheels was the best Stones show of all time. There was the long absence to build anticipation. There was the great hype and excitement. The boys were all together, Wyman, Stu etc. They were older and wiser. I loved the new record and single and video's. The stage outfits they wore were fantastic. The stage itself was astounding (still the best of all so far). The setlist was the best of all time and the sound system and the Stone's playing was top-notch. The only thing that could have made it better would have been the addition of Taylor.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:48

To be honest, i liked Voodoo Lounge more than SW/UJ Tour. (Sorry Bill Wyman, but...). And i enjoyed Licks Tour more than B2B. But, yes, 1989-90 was the start of their "new life" on stage, after all those roumours about the band's end in the 1987-88...

When SW was starting i thought "mm, hardly one more tour, there is not time for something else...". Then i could not imagine what would come in the future: The Stones have attracted in their concerts 23 million people since 1989, 17 milion since 1994 and 9.1 million since 1997! And now the 4th tour after the Sw "beginning"starts. It seems like a little miracle... If not miracle, a huge phenomenon...

Let's rock! Once again...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:54

and I still think it was their worst-ever tour - by a landslide. this is where it stopped being a rock'n'roll event and started being a well-choreographed "concert." and matt clifford's presence almost made it unbearable.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 16, 2005 00:59

Duane in Houston wrote about SW/UJ tour:

"The boys were all together, Wyman, Stu"

Duane, unfortunately Stu was already at another place...

I think "SW" album was NOT very good. In my opinion the following two studio albums, VL and B2B, were much better. But who cares now?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 16, 2005 01:02

Hmm- I have a boot of a SW concert (the last tour with Bill), and I was somewhat underwhelmed. I still prefer the basic rock n roll setup of 1973-81, myself, with an exception made for every tour since 1994-95. 1989 was indeed the introduction of "The Big Show", and I think it was overdone. Remember the Fox-TV special, with the 3D segments and all the special guests? Yuck. I have that on VHS. It got better after that, IMHO.

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: July 16, 2005 08:35

When I first heard the Rolling Stones it was around when Steel Wheels came out. I had a tape of the Atlantic City show, Flashpoint, and listened to them religiously. I can't believe how great I thought the Stones were. Then Voodoo Lounge came out, I was able to see them in Cleveland, and I was a bit disappointed. Looking back, I now think that the Voodoo Lounge cd and show were musically much better than the Steel Wheels tour. Just a different kind of energy. Everyone has their favorites...I'll pull out Flashpoint every once in a while.

I think the tours have a lot of influence from whatever Keith is into at the moment: for Bridges to Babylon, Keith wore the Bob Marley t-shirt to the press conference and had the Bob Marley pic on his amp at the show. For Voodoo, he seemed to be into more of a roots rock mood I think, leading them to open with Not Fade Away. Those two tours were better than 40 Licks and Steel Wheels in my opinion...
for SW and 40Licks it just seemed different. At least for SW they toured behind a strong album of new material, unlike 40 licks.

Anyway, the Stones are great all around. Different all the time. I can't wait to hear some new material....

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: July 16, 2005 14:07

Havo, I have been to the same show as you. Cologne 1990. Fu*** awesome. To me it was a start into a new Stones era. Awesome concert. Almost couldn´t believe what I saw and heard. I had goosebumps for almost 2 hours! And what agreat day it was. Sunny and warm. I was at the Müngersdorfer Stadium around 7 hours before the gates opened. It was such a peaceful, calm atmosphere among all those Stones fans and we all were so damn excited about what we´re going to see in a couple of hours. It was like a huge picnic. Damn...that was great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home