Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ticket sales
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 17, 2015 21:00

GPerel
BowieStone
gotdablouse
ROPS
The time when The Stones could sell out a show in minutes is long way past,as others have explained the "sold out" claim is just a trick to make you buy the much more expensive packages,tickets will be available galore on the day of the show.....

Not really...They sold out the 75000 (76,495 in attendance) Stade de France in 30 minutes last year...the prices were MUCH more reasonable though, €110 for VIP GA, €95 for Gold GA, €150 for the best seats.

+ pinkpop & werchter. Sold out in about an hour. Those are all 60.000+ venues.

Yes, Werchter was really sold out the day of the general on-sail. About the show in Paris, it's not right, I've seen tickets on sale later, on stadefrance.com. All the newspapers said "sold out in 51 minutes", but it wasn't right at all...

Stade de France was for all intents and purposes a day one sellout. A couple seats here and there prior to the show but nothing good. I was shocked since the concert at the same venue in 2007 was only 2/3 full. Tokyo Dome was the same way 3 shows sold out. Pricing is the key. In Tokyo, VIP meant only the areas around the catwalk and B Stage were 80000 yen ($650). Every other seat was between $120 and $150. If they would price like that in the US, every show would sell out.

For this tour, Dallas and Milwaukee may be sold out, but the secondary market tickets are selling very slowly. I suspect good face value tickets will be available on the day of the show. San Diego is a different story - Stubhub total available has decreased by nearly 20% in the last 48 hours. But it makes perfect sense. Small stadium; beautiful tourist city; affluent population; weekend show; nearest other show is 1/2 a continent away. On the other hand, an 80000 seat stadium in Columbus?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 17, 2015 21:08

GPerel
BowieStone
gotdablouse
ROPS
The time when The Stones could sell out a show in minutes is long way past,as others have explained the "sold out" claim is just a trick to make you buy the much more expensive packages,tickets will be available galore on the day of the show.....

Not really...They sold out the 75000 (76,495 in attendance) Stade de France in 30 minutes last year...the prices were MUCH more reasonable though, €110 for VIP GA, €95 for Gold GA, €150 for the best seats.

Yes, Werchter was really sold out the day of the general on-sail. About the show in Paris, it's not right, I've seen tickets on sale later, on stadefrance.com. All the newspapers said "sold out in 51 minutes", but it wasn't right at all...

Paris (again 76495 tickets, biggest attendance since... ?) was sold out in minutes (or as fast as they computers could process the orders as the promoters explained) and the VIP/GOLD GA in SECONDS, some odd tickets made their way back to the pot (canceled reservations, VIPs, etc...) and there was a 500 ticket drop a few days before the show.

There's little doubt that with the same prices all the US shows would have sold out in minutes as well so why they have to do it has to be AEG wanting to optimize their gains. In Europe they used individual promoters and there were none of these ridiculous shenanigans (except for the VIP packages) that hurt the biggest fans in the end as they want to be as close as possible. I'm not even sure that at the end of they day the gross will be that much bigger with all the money "wasted" on the flex pricing and cost of running the "pricing war" campaign. As for the "scalpers" being undercut, dunno, they can point to the scandalous "official scalping" prices of the "Official Platinum Seats" to justify their asking price !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 21:09 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 18, 2015 00:21

LetsWork
BowieStone
LetsWork
Pinkpop was a festival with other acts.

100% of the tickets sold for that day were sold to people who wanted to see the stones.

Ok.

What percentage of people there that day only bought tickets for that day, and not a full festival pass?

68,58%

Posted by: GPerel ()
Date: April 18, 2015 01:49

drbryant
GPerel
BowieStone
gotdablouse
ROPS

Stade de France was for all intents and purposes a day one sellout. A couple seats here and there prior to the show but nothing good. I was shocked since the concert at the same venue in 2007 was only 2/3 full. Tokyo Dome was the same way 3 shows sold out. Pricing is the key. In Tokyo, VIP meant only the areas around the catwalk and B Stage were 80000 yen ($650). Every other seat was between $120 and $150. If they would price like that in the US, every show would sell out.

For this tour, Dallas and Milwaukee may be sold out, but the secondary market tickets are selling very slowly. I suspect good face value tickets will be available on the day of the show. San Diego is a different story - Stubhub total available has decreased by nearly 20% in the last 48 hours. But it makes perfect sense. Small stadium; beautiful tourist city; affluent population; weekend show; nearest other show is 1/2 a continent away. On the other hand, an 80000 seat stadium in Columbus?

I remember there were a few "pelouse or" tickets (quite good tickets) on sale a day of april or may, but I agree most of the tickets that it was possible to buy after the general on-sail were bad seats. Anyway, as the Stones are playing stadiums this summer, that's sure it's difficult to sell out a concert if the best tickets are priced around 300/400 $.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 18, 2015 04:41

Leonioid
I am somewhat curious about this whole Buffalo situation. The only stop with no Lucky Dip tickets offered and now the the reports of better sales than anywhere else. Good for the city to suport the Stones so well.

Yes...and no. A good percentage of the crowd will be Canadians from just across the border...maybe half...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 18, 2015 05:46

gotdablouse

There's little doubt that with the same prices all the US shows would have sold out in minutes as well so why they have to do it has to be AEG wanting to optimize their gains.

As for the "scalpers" being undercut, dunno, they can point to the scandalous "official scalping" prices of the "Official Platinum Seats" to justify their asking price !

Yep, maximum profits and greed are playing a big part of this whole thing. It is somewhat tarnishing the Stones legacy imo, kinda hoped they would go for a reasonable set price - quick sell out strategy.

Your point about the scalpers justifying their high fees by pointing to the outrageous Platinum prices is interesting but I truly don't think they care about justification, just profit. The most interesting thing is that the official sellers are now firmly entrenched in the practice.

I never thought I'd see the day where I would see prices for a pair of tickets for a stadium rock show from the primary agent for near $10,000. Especially to see and hear songs played that cost less than $20 for the same seat when those songs were new. Inflation on an $8 ticket in 1970 is about $48 in 2015.

Reversing the the inflation index, could those promoters have charged $800 in 1970 for a ticket going for $4800 today? I kinda doubt it and I certainly don't think music is more important to people today than it was in 1970.confused smiley

That being said $30 Lucky Dip tickets are a bigger bargain today than an $8 general admission ticket was in 1970.

It's a big 'ole complicated mess.

peace

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: April 18, 2015 09:56

Ticketmaster has put up "Buy On Map" for some shows like Raleigh. I think it is fair to assume sales have at least been respectable when that feature appears. Nashville does not have "Buy On Map" available which would indicate things are going slow there.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home