Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Wyman new solo album "Back To Basics" - June 22 2015
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 15, 2015 09:58

New solo album:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-19 19:58 by bv.

Re: Bill Wyman - Back To Basics - June 22 2015
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:00

Thanks for the info.
jeroen

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:43

The cover art look like an instructional video for beginners to bass playing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 11:00 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:53

Nice !

Back To Basics does exactly what it says on the tin. It is unashamedly stripped back. The snappy lyrics are refreshingly audible and the instrumentation is clean, subtle and accomplished.

Back To Basics wears its influences on its sleeve – Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, JJ Cale – and there's more than a passing nod to Bill's own English background. It is that rare thing, a meld of styles and genres that actually work together - uplifting in a jaunty, dancey way and pensive in a bluesy, narrative way.

As might be expected from one of the world's best known bass players Back To Basics drives along with a rhythmic muscularity, and then slows the pace for more autobiographical lyric and melody. It is an album that warrants repeated play. It is also an album that's long overdue…

Bill Wyman's last solo UK album, Bill Wyman, was released in 1982. Back To Basics comprises only his fourth UK solo release. But Bill has not been idle of course. 31 years in the Rolling Stones, author of seven learned books, globally exhibited photographer, metal detecting expert with his own brand of metal detector, producer, composer for film and TV and founder of the very successful Rhythm Kings who release CDs and tour regularly - he has had a pretty full calendar. It was only when archiving old demos last year he realised he had around 60 songs he'd never released. He chose three songs that needed reworking and did just that. He put them together with a bunch of brand new songs and went into his studio to record them.

The CD comprises 12 tracks in total, eight of which are new songs. Musicians joining Bill in the studio include long time collaborator/guitarist Terry Taylor, Guy Fletcher (Mark Knopfler), Graham Broad and Robbie McIntosh while co-production credit goes to Andy Wright (Jeff Beck, Eurythmics, Simply Red).

On Bill Wyman's Back To Basics you get music that's the real deal...and you're all the better for it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 10:54 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 15, 2015 11:06

What a cool bass guitar! Hope the songs are equally cool from old Bill, our bass-hero.smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 15, 2015 11:27

that's a lookalike of his self-crafted fretless bass!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 15, 2015 11:29

Wow this is a pleasant surprise. Kinda came out of left field. No Rhythm Kings.
I notice my friend, great musician (and windsurfer) Guy Fletcher is a collaborator, whoo hoo!

I must admit I'm really interested in this one. Thanks for the post.

peace

Date: April 15, 2015 12:11

Come On
What a cool bass guitar! Hope the songs are equally cool from old Bill, our bass-hero.smoking smiley

The same he used on his Stones comeback thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 15, 2015 15:41

you can buy one...

nice marketing there, Bill!

[www.basscentre.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:37

interesting. I'll listen to it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 15, 2015 18:26

Yes indeed, same bass, one of my best pics of the night ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 18:26 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:37

Interesting as there was a rumor floating out there that the Stones were secretly working on an album of the same title. Guess this is what started the rumor.

Date: April 15, 2015 23:14

Jagger should be thinking "Hmm, if Bill can do it..."

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 15, 2015 23:31

Strange, no news of a tour to promote the record.
Maybe a serious TV documentary.....Bill deserves one.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:22

Wyman has been my biggest Stones influence, looking forward to this more than SF and Marquee. Plus I own one of those basses and it's lovely to play, very versatile tones.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:26

gotdablouse
Nice !

Back To Basics does exactly what it says on the tin. It is unashamedly stripped back. The snappy lyrics are refreshingly audible and the instrumentation is clean, subtle and accomplished.

Back To Basics wears its influences on its sleeve – Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, JJ Cale – and there's more than a passing nod to Bill's own English background. It is that rare thing, a meld of styles and genres that actually work together - uplifting in a jaunty, dancey way and pensive in a bluesy, narrative way.

As might be expected from one of the world's best known bass players Back To Basics drives along with a rhythmic muscularity, and then slows the pace for more autobiographical lyric and melody. It is an album that warrants repeated play. It is also an album that's long overdue…

Bill Wyman's last solo UK album, Bill Wyman, was released in 1982. Back To Basics comprises only his fourth UK solo release. But Bill has not been idle of course. 31 years in the Rolling Stones, author of seven learned books, globally exhibited photographer, metal detecting expert with his own brand of metal detector, producer, composer for film and TV and founder of the very successful Rhythm Kings who release CDs and tour regularly - he has had a pretty full calendar. It was only when archiving old demos last year he realised he had around 60 songs he'd never released. He chose three songs that needed reworking and did just that. He put them together with a bunch of brand new songs and went into his studio to record them.

The CD comprises 12 tracks in total, eight of which are new songs. Musicians joining Bill in the studio include long time collaborator/guitarist Terry Taylor, Guy Fletcher (Mark Knopfler), Graham Broad and Robbie McIntosh while co-production credit goes to Andy Wright (Jeff Beck, Eurythmics, Simply Red).

On Bill Wyman's Back To Basics you get music that's the real deal...and you're all the better for it.

BACK TO BASICS...thumbs up

Great statement by BILL.

Is BILL on the boat to the US of A for the ZIP CODE already?

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:29

TheBlockbuster
The cover art look like an instructional video for beginners to bass playing...

It is...and you can purchase it from Bill directly.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:29

I'm buying this on the day it is released just as I did his previous three solo albums decades ago. I love his energy and creative spirit.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:42

the basscentre bass is Fretted? that is not right. Bill pioneered fretless electric blues bass

Date: April 16, 2015 01:46

dadrob
the basscentre bass is Fretted? that is not right. Bill pioneered fretless electric blues bass

It's fretted to appeal to a wider audience, I've got Pyramid flats on mine and if you lead with the neck pickup it almost sounds a Fretlessesque tone. I gig with it every week and it's a powerful instrument for its size, packs a punch if you turn it up.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:38

Rollin92
dadrob

It's fretted to appeal to a wider audience, I've got Pyramid flats on mine and if you lead with the neck pickup it almost sounds a Fretlessesque tone. I gig with it every week and it's a powerful instrument for its size, packs a punch if you turn it up.

I've been considering one for some time. They don't turn up in the states very often. Can you tell me what country it is manufactured in?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:57

gotdablouse
Yes indeed, same bass, one of my best pics of the night ;-)

Yeah, Excellent photo gotablouse! Very expressive looks on Bill and Ronnie, the bass showing up twice and the pixelated background really make it shine. And Bill really looks happy. Nice work.

Very interesting comment by kovach, the title is indeed very similar to the basis for the Stones rumored new project. Did Bill just beat them to the punch? Is he capitalizing on the Stones association with the similarity in the title and the timing of the release? Or is it just a coincidence?

peace

Date: April 16, 2015 03:21

It could also be a play on the word bass.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 16, 2015 11:21

He should have called the album "back to zero". That way, any comparison with the similar named song by the Stones easily would have been in his favour.

Date: April 16, 2015 11:52

jazzbass
Rollin92
dadrob

I've been considering one for some time. They don't turn up in the states very often. Can you tell me what country it is manufactured in?

Bass Centre UK ships globally I believe. It's manufactured in Taiwan but tbh these days instruments made in the Far East are much better than they were 10 years ago. But before it's sold, Barry Moorhouse, the Bass Centre owner, sets them all up individually and fine tunes them. Barry was a good friend and bass technician of John Entwistle.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 16, 2015 22:37

Bill Wyman Releasing First Solo Album in 33 Years
Former Rolling Stones bassist gets 'Back to Basics' this June

BY JON BLISTEIN April 16, 2015
Bill Wyman
Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman will release a new album 'Back to Basics.' Chris Jackson/Getty
Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman will release Back to Basics, his first solo album in 33 years, on June 22nd via Proper Records.

Per a press release, the stripped-back album counts JJ Cale, Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen among its influences, and came about after Wyman found approximately 60 unreleased songs while archiving old demos last year. He reworked five of those tracks, placing them alongside eight new songs.

Wyman was joined in the studio by guitarist, and longtime collaborator, Terry Taylor, as well as Guy Fletcher, Graham Broad and Robbie McIntosh. The album was co-produced by Andy Wright (Jeff Beck, Eurythmics).

SIDEBAR

Bill Wyman Talks Solo Record, Being a Stone »
Back to Basics marks Wyman's first solo album since his 1982 self-titled effort and is only his fourth solo release overall. "Initially I thought I'm a bit old for this," Wyman noted in the statement. "But then I thought all the old blues musicians played till they dropped so why don't I give it a go."

Despite the significant gap in solo material, Wyman has regularly toured and recorded with his band, the Rhythm Kings. He's also composed for TV and film, penned several books, held photo exhibitions, patented his own metal detector, and, in 2013, released, Bill Wyman's Scrapbook. The latter was a limited edition coffee-table book filled with images from his London childhood up through his final full show with the Rolling Stones in 1990.

"I've always been interested in multiple things since I was a teenager," Wyman told Rolling Stone in 2013 of his Renaissance man ways. "I've always been interested in ancient cultures, archaeology, astronomy, photography, art – and as I grew up, I tried to learn more and embellish those things by reading books and documentaries and films.

"When I was in the band for 30 years, that was very difficult, because I didn't have the opportunity to spend much time doing that. But I did meet great artists in France, like Marc Chagall. I learned about art and I met historians. I met scientists. And I went to look at the stars in observatories, and it just opened my life to many, many different other aspects."

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 16, 2015 23:07

>Back to Basics marks Wyman's first solo album since his 1982 self-titled effort and is only his fourth solo release overall.

Nope. His last solo release was STUFF, first released in 1992, reissued in 2000.

[billwyman.com]

Edited to add: contributors to STUFF included Nicky Hopkins, Matt Clifford, and Chuck Leavell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 23:08 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 16, 2015 23:41

Nikkei
It could also be a play on the word bass.

Of course that's what it is. Took me a while, but yes. It's a fairly common pun. Hopefully no one will confuse it with the Christina Aguilera album of the same name, or maybe some confusion will benefit him.

Re: Bill Wyman new solo album "Back To Basics" - June 22 2015
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 20, 2015 10:08

Bill Back to Basics
The Stones RUMORED Back to their Roots

Maybe whoever posted original rumor about the Stones had been given a nugget about Bill's new record as a new record BY a Stone??? Hahaha

Re: Bill Wyman new solo album "Back To Basics" - June 22 2015
Date: April 20, 2015 11:54

Bill's album was first mentioned by himself towards the end of 2013 and more frequently and recently in interviews with European press during the RKs tour in November/December. He said then that he wouldn't play these songs with the RKs because that's not what the RKs are about.

Chances are he won't even do a one off gig for this album. There was also a lot of talk in the European press in Nov/Dec 2014 that that would be the RKs last tour. Bill said himself that he was starting to wind down after over 50 plus years touring.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home