Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stories
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 05:32

Hi. This is to anyone who's seen Stones shows in the 60s-90s; what were they like? I can't imagine having the incredible experience of seeing them live back then. I've obviously watched many recordings and concert DVDs, and they were just amazing live (not that they aren't now, of course). I'd love to hear anyone's stories. Thank you

Re: Stories
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 15, 2015 11:38

nowadays their goal is to please everyone. back then they came to take the piss.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 15, 2015 12:26

The 90's? Man you are showing your age....although I have similar feelings for stories of people who saw them in the 60's and 70's. I think the difference was in the 60's and 70's they were constantly changing, generally touring behind excellent new records and they really represented a large segment of young people. They were Gods to the anti-establishment, alternative lifestyle, music loving, drug friendly masses.

Throughout the 90's and up to now they have basically been living off the reputation they created back then. The difference between the 90's shows and the one you'll see this summer are much smaller than the difference between say a 1972 show and a 1981 show, imo. They have become more predictable in the last 20 years but it's actually hard to have expectations beyond whatever they decide to do because there really is no one to compare them to who has been consistently in the game for so long. They are an international treasure.

peace

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 15, 2015 12:35

At least they still didn't omit any Some Girls lyrics in the 90s, so there's that.

Date: April 15, 2015 16:12

Naturalust
The 90's? Man you are showing your age....although I have similar feelings for stories of people who saw them in the 60's and 70's. I think the difference was in the 60's and 70's they were constantly changing, generally touring behind excellent new records and they really represented a large segment of young people. They were Gods to the anti-establishment, alternative lifestyle, music loving, drug friendly masses.

Throughout the 90's and up to now they have basically been living off the reputation they created back then. The difference between the 90's shows and the one you'll see this summer are much smaller than the difference between say a 1972 show and a 1981 show, imo. They have become more predictable in the last 20 years but it's actually hard to have expectations beyond whatever they decide to do because there really is no one to compare them to who has been consistently in the game for so long. They are an international treasure.

peace

Oh I wasn't trying to imply that the 90's was very long ago, it's just that I think the 90's tours (especially the Steel Wheels tour) looked really cool.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:23

Saw my first show in '75 and all subsequent tours up to and including Bridges To Babylon. What stands out to me was "festival seating" on the floor, meaning there were no seats or chairs on the floor and all other seating was first come/first served. If you had the wherewithal you could make your way to the front of the stage and smell the sweat. It was incredible. Thanks to the tragedy at a Who concert later on festival seating (and Quaaludes) went away and things were never the same.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 19:39 by Bungo.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 15, 2015 17:27

Topless girls sitting high above the masses on guys shoulders on a GA floor and the shit-eating grins of a thoroughly stoned crowd.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 15, 2015 17:39

With the Stones it's always been a magical moment when they come on stage.

I've seen them on all the tours since 1970 and there were many great entrances.

But funnily enough the greatest kick I got when they entered the stage on the Steel W. Tour.The hair on my skin stood up and my girlfriend felt the same.
What a moment . .

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 15, 2015 17:50

I just changed my cable company at home and had to watch the 2012 Brooklyn PPV because I was about to lose all my recordings. What a great show, the band was on fire that night!! No different than a great night in the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's 00's.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 15, 2015 18:13

Brooklyn, Jersey, it's all really the same.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 15, 2015 18:20

Maindefender
I just changed my cable company at home and had to watch the 2012 Brooklyn PPV because I was about to lose all my recordings. What a great show, the band was on fire that night!! No different than a great night in the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's 00's.

The Prudential Center Newark, NJ USA 12-15-2012. Even Keith's set was spot on!! A great version of One More Shot even…..

Date: April 15, 2015 19:24

CousinC

But funnily enough the greatest kick I got when they entered the stage on the Steel W. Tour.The hair on my skin stood up and my girlfriend felt the same.
What a moment . .

Cool! Yeah I think the Steel Wheels tour looked amazing

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 15, 2015 20:52

Well sonny... pulling on grey beard, gazing off into the past as a grin grows... back in 95/95, for parts of the Voodoo Lounge tour the show was split into 3 parts, now mind ya, they changed it up as the tour went along, but at one point...

...after the middle stage 3 songs segment, as they came walking back to the main stage to the sound of the drums of Sympathy for the devil playing and the band was high fiving the audience, grabbing gifts, etc etc...

...all along the MONSTER SIZE stage was redecorated as a bunch of MONSTER SIZED voodoo looking charms and things started dropping down from the top part of the stage... leaving the stage laden with voodoo bobbles and bathed in red lights... WELCOME TO THE VOODOO LOUNGE!!!!!... and the drums... and the crowd... and the vibe... AND BOOM!!!! JAGGER RISES UP THROUGH A TRAP DOOR ON TO THE STAGE IN A VOODOO OUTFIT, TOP HAT AND ALL AND... ...

I have at 30-40-1000 2000 stories from my Stones shows and life, and they are all (mostly) clear as the day or night I lived them execept for... like 007 movies some of the shows and dates start to run together into bunch of small memories of so many awesome tours memories... I could go on for months. I should write a book, has anyone ever made a Rolling Stones book of any kind yet?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 15, 2015 21:10

josepi
Topless girls sitting high above the masses on guys shoulders on a GA floor and the shit-eating grins of a thoroughly stoned crowd.
exactly, great times

Date: April 15, 2015 21:12

CousinC

What a moment . .
that was from the pyro for start me up . one of the best ways to open up esp. if you were close enough to feel the heat from the pyro!!!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 15, 2015 21:16

That sounds like my experience of The Stones in 95 (Wembley) and GnR at that same venue around the same time.

Does this not happen at Stones concerts any more?

Or only at show`s for the young `uns?

Date: April 15, 2015 21:16

Montreal , olympic stadium during steel wheels were in line to use the porta poddie on the field during intermission my buddy makes friends with this pretty young lassie and lo and behold they are in the loo for quite some time getting to know each other and making friends

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 15, 2015 21:24

My first show was Hyde park 2013 and I've now seen them 5 times but my parents were at the Hyde park show in 1969,behind the stage in that concert was the serpentine lake and my parents were on a little rowing boat listening to the concert and they also saw them at Earl's Court in the 70s and Wembley in the 90s

Nate thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2015 22:12

'72 Akron - Mick climbed up a speaker scaffold and smoked a joint.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:14

well that's one way of not having to share it ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 15, 2015 22:16

Leonioid
Well sonny... pulling on grey beard, gazing off into the past as a grin grows... back in 95/95, for parts of the Voodoo Lounge tour the show was split into 3 parts, now mind ya, they changed it up as the tour went along, but at one point...

...after the middle stage 3 songs segment, as they came walking back to the main stage to the sound of the drums of Sympathy for the devil playing and the band was high fiving the audience, grabbing gifts, etc etc...

...all along the MONSTER SIZE stage was redecorated as a bunch of MONSTER SIZED voodoo looking charms and things started dropping down from the top part of the stage... leaving the stage laden with voodoo bobbles and bathed in red lights... WELCOME TO THE VOODOO LOUNGE!!!!!... and the drums... and the crowd... and the vibe... AND BOOM!!!! JAGGER RISES UP THROUGH A TRAP DOOR ON TO THE STAGE IN A VOODOO OUTFIT, TOP HAT AND ALL AND... ...

I have at 30-40-1000 2000 stories from my Stones shows and life, and they are all (mostly) clear as the day or night I lived them execept for... like 007 movies some of the shows and dates start to run together into bunch of small memories of so many awesome tours memories... I could go on for months. I should write a book, has anyone ever made a Rolling Stones book of any kind yet?

Oh that's an awesome story! Thanks! It would be cool if all the long time IORR people came together to make one massive tour memory vault...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 22:19 by stones2000.

Posted by: kate2 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:19

San Diego Sports Arena 1969 tickets $4.50..Mick Taylor's first tour with the Stones..All I remember is not sitting on the floor but up in the stands about half-way. I do remember watching Mick Taylor in LA, at the
Whiskey a GO GO..He was with John Mayall then and yes there were go go dancers in cages up off the floor..I went 3 nights in a row. $1 per night. He asked me to go out after the show..I said no thank you. This is a true story.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:25

I managed to see them for the first time in 1978. I couldn't see them again until 1989. I felt that 1978 was the last real chaotic, messy, pushing a new album, Stones tour. They were still in their early 30s for gods sake. Keith looked like some kind of heroin soaked wraith, with this greenish hue. Mick was dancing everywhere and did this marvelous cheerleader run when he picked up an American flag tossed on the stage and took off, spinning the flag expertly like a baton. It was like they'd descended from London Rock Star God Heaven and then they were gone, no f-ing encore, "See my tail lights fading, there ain't a dry eye in the house...."

By 1989 it was like a regal coronation, a Greatest Hits Show at the highest level, incorporating such wonders as 2000 Light Years From Home. But it wasn't the same. And it got progressively less about the music and more about the smoke and mirrors. Except for No Security. That was a blast.

Date: April 15, 2015 22:29

kate2
San Diego Sports Arena 1969 tickets $4.50..Mick Taylor's first tour with the Stones..All I remember is not sitting on the floor but up in the stands about half-way. I do remember watching Mick Taylor in LA, at the
Whiskey a GO GO..He was with John Mayall then and yes there were go go dancers in cages up off the floor..I went 3 nights in a row. $1 per night. He asked me to go out after the show..I said no thank you. This is a true story.

Oh wow neat story! Man...$4.50 tickets? I can't imagine. But I guess that was a lot more money then

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 16, 2015 09:39

my 1st Rolling Stones concert was the voodoo lounge conert in Brisbane Australia,I took the bus form Mackay north Queensland,I think it took around 14 hours to get there.

I took about 20 pre rolled joints with me for the trip down and to smoke at the show.

I sat up the back in the voodoo lounge area,The cruel Sea was the support band.When the Stones came on I nearly wet my pants.finaly after all these years I was seeing my fav band.

The Best Concert I had ever been to,and they were exactly and I Imagined they would be.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: April 16, 2015 09:45

Rockman
well that's one way of not having to share it ....

Yep, that's Mick for ya!

Date: April 16, 2015 16:21

mandu
my 1st Rolling Stones concert was the voodoo lounge conert in Brisbane Australia,I took the bus form Mackay north Queensland,I think it took around 14 hours to get there.

I took about 20 pre rolled joints with me for the trip down and to smoke at the show.

I sat up the back in the voodoo lounge area,The cruel Sea was the support band.When the Stones came on I nearly wet my pants.finaly after all these years I was seeing my fav band.

The Best Concert I had ever been to,and they were exactly and I Imagined they would be.

Awesome!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 16, 2015 16:32

TheGreek
CousinC

What a moment . .
that was from the pyro for start me up . one of the best ways to open up esp. if you were close enough to feel the heat from the pyro!!!

Lol I know what you mean cause we were in the front row.But it's been more than that.
It was seeing them first time again after ca. 8 years and everything was right on that day.I had this special feeling only on my first SW concert.But it was a great opening anyway.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 16, 2015 20:16

CousinC
TheGreek
CousinC

What a moment . .

Lol I know what you mean cause we were in the front row.But it's been more than that.
It was seeing them first time again after ca. 8 years and everything was right on that day.I had this special feeling only on my first SW concert.But it was a great opening anyway.

WHEN THE COBRA BREATHED FIRE TO START THE 94/95VOODOO LOUNGE SHOWS!!!

I can not find a picture of the fire coming out... but...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home