Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best Stones Guilty Pleasure Song? Waiting On A Friend
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2015 23:56

Guilty pleasure ? Would have to be a good ol' boogie-woogie, "Hang Fire", "Neighboors", "Mean Disposition", "Don't Wanna Go Home" ? Yeah I'll go with "Don't Wanna Go Home", hehe...

"Keep the music blasting, keep the lights turned way down low
It's hard to look your best around half past five, yeah"

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 3, 2015 01:50

woodyweaving
I have always wondered in case anybody knows - who is the blonde guy in the window who mick and keith walk by in the waiting on a friend video? Is he somebody notable? I have checked the youtube vid comments but no like.

I always wondered about that myself. AT first I wondered if he was guy Stones-associate that gets interviewed in 25X5 segment about swinging 60s London and Marianne & Anita..but I don't think the years add up. The guy in WOAF is younger..and its years later.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 3, 2015 16:26

Waiting on a friend

As the ballad of Mick and Keith proves, through riffs, romances and rocky patches, the bond of true male friendship is stronger, and lasts longer, than any relationship a man will ever have with a woman.

The first time I saw Mick Jagger, he was in court to offer support to Keith Richards as he faced the possibility of being sent to prison for possession of drugs.

Well, that's not strictly true. The first time I saw Mick Jagger, he was in court and staring at some sixth-form beauty who was skipping school to watch a Keith Richards drugs trial in the sleepy town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. And whatever was on Mick's mind at the time, it did not appear to be Keith.

"I'll have the one in purple," leered Jagger, as Richards was led to the dock.

January, 1977. We - rock stars, sixth-form beauty queens, spotty NME hacks in cheap leather jackets - were all squeezed knee-to-knee and buttock-to-buttock in the tiny public gallery of Aylesbury Crown Court as Keith's legal team attempted to establish his complete innocence of any wrongdoing.

And if you spent any time at all in the company of Jagger and Richards, then two things quickly became as clear as crystal meth. Jagger had an eye for the ladies that made Don Juan look like the shy, retiring type who was always in the kitchen at orgies.

And Mick and Keith were best friends.

At the start of 1977, Jagger and Richards were both 33 years old. They had known each other since Wentworth Primary School in Dartford (they were classmates from September 1950), so they were already into their third decade of friendship.

Jagger did not have to be in that courtroom. He was busy negotiating his controversial transfer between his wife, Bianca, and a 20-year-old Texan model called Jerry Hall. He had flown in from Los Angeles for the trial, and was ready to give evidence if he was called.

Keith had creamed his Bentley on the M1 the previous May. The law had found a silver tube for snorting cocaine and some LSD in the car. Keith's defence was that he didn't own the cocaine-snorter and did not know how the acid had found its way into his car. After more than ten years of baiting the British Establishment, there was a real chance that Keith could get put away for a long time.

And his friend Mick, despite the usual distractions - all the young nubiles - was there to stand by his friend in his blackest hour.

Those days in Aylesbury are why I always take the chatter about Mick and Keith feuding with a pinch of the white stuff. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are paragons of male friendship. And despite all the hurt feelings and bad-mouthing, they have meant far more to each other than any woman ever could.

The Stones never had a Yoko Ono figure who broke up the band. That point is proved by the row over the comments Keith made about Mick's manhood last year in his autobiography, Life.

Even after almost half a century, and divorces and marriages all round, Keith is still crazy jealous about his then girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg, having a quick one with Mick on the set of the movie Performance.

Male friends fall out over many things. But mostly we fall out about women. Yet even Mick sleeping with Anita did not break up the Stones. Or the lifelong friendship of Jagger and Richards.

I would imagine that he is ten years too old for all of that now, but for most of his lifetime Mick Jagger took what he wanted. That clearly hurt Keith, who always preferred drugs to women.

But the spiteful chatter about the size of Mick's todger or his ability in bed is motivated by Keith's jealousy over Anita, and is merely the kind of rough banter that is normal between friends.

The only erectile dysfunction that Mick Jagger ever had was an inability to keep it down. You can hardly blame Keith for objecting to Mick treating his old lady as if she were just another Biba-clad groupie.

But the constant focus on the bad blood between Jagger and Richards overlooks the real story: how desperately they need each other. The real story is how men born of different parents can become brothers. The real story is love.

Keith did not go to jail.

The jury did not buy the notion that the silver coke-snorting tube did not belong to him, but they accepted that the LSD may have belonged to someone else. Keith was fined £750, with £250 to pay in costs. Jagger and Richards were featured on the front page of that week's New Musical Express - arm in arm, in all their louche pomp, golden gods trailing silk scarves and velvet jackets, even at the dawn of punk. It was my first cover story for the NME.

And one month later Keith was in the biggest trouble of his life. A raid by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on his suite at the Toronto Hilton discovered an ounce of pure heroin - enough to warrant a charge of intent to traffic, enough to put Keith in a Canadian jail for life. Mick Jagger, who was always the one with the work ethic, was waiting to start rehearsing. Sometimes your friends can drive you nuts.

For 18 months the possibility of life imprisonment hung over Keith's head, the Stones faced collapse and the friendship of two boys from Kent was pushed to breaking point. At the tail end of 1978 the trafficking charge was dropped in return for a guilty plea, and Keith escaped jail. But by now, as in the best of friendships, grudges were being nurtured on both sides.

For both Mick and Keith, there were things to forgive and forget - or not. There was plenty of fuel for the sniping that would simmer for decades, and boils through Keith's book. Jagger's sweet tooth was always sexual, while Richards' vice was always chemical. Yes, Mick did drugs, but not in the heroic style that Keith did drugs. And yes Keith did sex, but not in the Olympian style that Mick did sex. Mick had Anita, and that battered the friendship, but Keith had a heroin habit, and that nearly killed the Rolling Stones.

But somehow the friendship endured. And endures to this day. Because, come hell, high water or heroin busts, both of them were diminished outside of that friendship. They needed each other. Professionally, the world has shown scant interest in the solo projects of the Rolling Stones. And on a personal level, Mick and Keith were irreplaceable to the other. How do you replace a friend you have had for so long? You can't - because life is too short.

We are so accustomed to the shallow acquaintances of the professional and social whirl that we forget what real friendship looks like. Jagger and Richards are the kind of friends who come along once or twice in a man's lifetime, the kind of friends who are living proof of that wise old saying. You can make new friends. But you can't make old friends.

We think we should grow out of male friendship.

Personally, as soon as I found a girl who would let me put my hand in her bra on a regular basis, I could not wait to get away from that little gang of mine. But that wasn't me growing out of male friendship. That was me turning 17, and tiring of hanging out with the lads.

The bonds of true male friendship take time to develop. A woman can own your heart for years before she has even opened her mouth. Male friendship takes longer, and it doesn't happen at first sight. But one day you look into the gnarled features of the man sitting opposite you in some seedy bar and you realise that you have known him for five, ten or 20 years. You realise that you have watched each other go through all the changes that matter. Your friend has seen it all - the stranger who was yourself, the boy who grew to be a man, the drug-crazed, semen-splattered single guy who somehow became a loving father, husband and grown-up.

You grow up with your friends. Economically - from sleeping on each other's sofa to flying first class. Sexually - exchanging quantity for quality. And spiritually - together you experience the death of parents, the birth of children, true love coming and going. And you learn something of life.

Real male friendship is more durable than even your longest relationship with a woman. Your friends have seen it all. They know everything - the one-night stands, the secret affairs, the time your heart was smashed to pieces. They have seen you at your best and your worst, and they have seen you bounce over every speed bump as you struggled to maturity. And they forgive everything (in a way that no woman ever could).

And in every male friendship there is a Mick and there is a Keith. The sensible one and the raving nutcase. The hard-working one and the unapologetic hedonist. The clear-eyed, cold-hearted one who likes women. The misty-eyed romantic who craves oblivion. For real lifelong bonds are rarely forged with someone who is exactly the same as you. Male friendship is more of an alliance between lone wolves, a collaboration between men who usually go their own way, whose natural inclination is to fly solo. But together we are stronger.

Keith is dissolute, wild, the eternal adolescent, too far gone to tap the ash from the end of his cigarette. Mick is grown up, industrious, the one who for 30 years has gone for a nice cardiovascular jog. Yet there was always a sweetness about Keith, a lop-sided humanity, a fundamental decency - while Mick has a fiercely selfish streak, a hard core, a ruthlessness.

In their 60-year friendship, Jagger has often seemed like the tolerant one, the indulgent older brother. But Mick has the ability to hurt Keith in a way that Keith would struggle to hurt Mick.

Keith cackles about Mick's penis, calls him Brenda and ponders his ability in bed. Yet it is impossible to imagine Keith cuckolding Mick in quite the way that Mick cuckolded Keith on the set of Performance. If Mick was devastated by Keith's revenge f*** with Marianne Faithfull, he has hidden it very well.

Keith was the one who shot smack for England, and yet he has always seemed the more innocent member of the partnership. His constant talk about "bitches" - "I am not going to let this bitch go," he said when he married Patti Hansen - make him sound like a 13-year-old virgin who likes hip-hop.

For all his wild ways, there has always been something family-orientated and homely about Keith Richards. While Mick was watching the cricket at Lord's, or chatting up Prince Charles, or taking Carla Bruni roughly from behind, you know Keith would have been far happier at home with his blues records, his slippers and his pipe. A crack pipe, of course.

It is true that without Mick's business sense, Keith would have probably fallen into rock'n'roll's muddy ditch 30 years ago. But without Keith's debauched glamour, and the noise he makes with that Fender, Mick's preening showmanship would no longer be filling stadiums.

Friends stick together because they have a history, because they need each other and because they love each other.

That's what friends are for.

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 16:32 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 3, 2015 16:39

RomanCandle
Don't get the concept of "guilty pleasure songs" but I have always loved Jagger's poofter voice on Fool To Cry.

Guilty pleasure songs are songs that are not appreciated by serious fans, but that you really happen to like.

My example is You Got Me Rocking.

But it could also be a U2 song smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home