Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 18 of 22
Re: Buffalo NY USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 10, 2015 03:52

buffalo7478

and right across the street is Burchfield Penny Art Center, home of more regional American art, housing the collection of Charles Burchfield, great American landscape painter, and a collection of modern portraits by Philip Burke (many of rock stars). You may be familiar with his work from seeing his work in books and magazines (esp Rolling Stone) over the years.
[www.burchfieldpenney.org]

John

Free entry this Friday, and special evening programs:

[www.burchfieldpenney.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-10 03:54 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: July 10, 2015 03:53

Donnebr
rambler44
mickjackett
Is Hammer taking reservations for the lot? I want to guarantee a spot because I'll be there with my 72-year-old father (who is not Mick Jagger) and I don't want him to have to walk far. Plus, I don't want to miss out on the IORR party if the lot fills up with casual fans before I get there.

I have sent him an email to reserve a spot and have not received a reply.

I also emailed him. I am on route to Buffalo now, staying in horses head tonight. I don't have paypal & was gonna pay him the day of the show.
horseheads :-)

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:00

LadyJane
The Sicilian
Do you know if Gazza is coming or anyone else from Rocks Off? What is the info on the Shidoobee bus?

No Gazza; we almost had Voodoo here though.
Several ROer's in town; LJ (yours truly), Sweet Virginia, parmeda, @#$%&, TomL, Maxmeister, Paranoid Android.
Shidoobee buses are full. We've got close to 200 at Danny's South

What time is everyone converging on Danny's? I attended the community college just up the road for a couple years and we used to stop at Danny's for some late night studying occasionally.

We had such a cool math professor, he took out the whole class to the Big Tree Inn across the road on the other corner.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:02

The Sicilian
Totally unacceptable. However, I would never take a stranger across the border under any circumstances, too risky. I have driven to Toronto many times, but with people I know. I do think you are incredibly generous but with good intentions.

But you do make some valid gripes about babysitting people and then running the risk of someone barfing in your vehicle. Things to consider. Though I like the way you think. Very pragmatic. Are you still coming to Buffalo?

Thanks Sicilian! Yes, coming to Buffalo...and giving a ride to another visitor. BUT this time I have his written assurance that he is neither a complete nor partial asshat!

Seriously, what I should have done - at various stages - was just have left. But we women are so conditioned to please and pacify - even heartless crones like me - that we don't want to been seen as the bad guy, don't want to give anyone an excuse to call us a bitch. I will go far out of my way for someone who demonstrates basic, garden variety decency. But this was waaaay offside. I think.

You'll be there?

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:06

**I just received an email from AEG with show info. It says that part of Abbott Road, the road that Hammers Lot is on, will be closed the day of the show. Hammer, does this affect us???

Here is that part of the AEG email, pasted below:
"Abbott Road will be closed to all vehicle traffic between the south entrance of Lot 2 ADA and the north entrance of Lot 6 ADA on event day, beginning at 3 p.m."

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:30

It sounds like Buffalo is the real show of the tour for hardcore fans! Pretty sure 18 pages before show day is a record so far. I guess RO and Shidoobee folks are more social that the iorr'ers. Anyway, sounds like a friggin' blast, hope you all get the best show yet.

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:43

Naturalust
It sounds like Buffalo is the real show of the tour for hardcore fans! Pretty sure 18 pages before show day is a record so far. I guess RO and Shidoobee folks are more social that the iorr'ers. Anyway, sounds like a friggin' blast, hope you all get the best show yet.

Have just under 200 shidoobee members attending the show and most of them approx. 180 signed up and will be attending the pre-party at Danny's. Going to be awesome!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:48

taz22
Naturalust

Have just under 200 shidoobee members attending the show and most of them approx. 180 signed up and will be attending the pre-party at Danny's. Going to be awesome!

Hope someone takes some pictures at the party taz, I would enjoy seeing some posted here.

Date: July 10, 2015 04:51

Naturalust
taz22
Naturalust

Hope someone takes some pictures at the party taz, I would enjoy seeing some posted here.

I will make sure to take some pics and post them here. But it might have to wait until sunday because I won't have my laptop with me and I'm slightly phoned challenged! If my 15 year old daughter was going they would be up in an instant! Oh, to be so tech savvy!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:54

A lot of activity at the Roycroft

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:06

Have a great show LJRO...we are happy the Stones are forgiving and returning to Buffalo!!!!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:13

Brstonesfan
Have a great show LJRO...we are happy the Stones are forgiving and returning to Buffalo!!!!

Forgiving of what?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:15

RockinJive
A lot of activity at the Roycroft

I was working in East Aurora yesterday. I see BarBill was packed. The stone walls at the Roycroft look really nice.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:16

Brstonesfan

You keep going back to that, but nothing to forgive. They come here to make money and know they will be welcome. I have forgiven them for the lousy sound in 1978. : )

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:21

Brstonesfan

There is something wrong with you

Posted by: LadyJane ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:23

The are Downtown per my sources.
And thank you for the good wishes my old friend BRstonesfan.

Date: July 10, 2015 05:28

mickjagger1009
**I just received an email from AEG with show info. It says that part of Abbott Road, the road that Hammers Lot is on, will be closed the day of the show. Hammer, does this affect us???

"Abbott Road will be closed to all vehicle traffic between the south entrance of Lot 2 ADA and the north entrance of Lot 6 ADA on event day, beginning at 3 p.m."

Abbott Road stays open except for the part that is immediately in front of the stadium, so people can cross without being run over. They do this for every football game. By car, you get to Hammer by approaching from the south. Exiting Rt 219 (the main highway to Orchard Park) at Rt 20A. Make a left and follow 20A to Abbott Road. Make a right turn on Abbott and Hammer's lot will be on your left, look for a sign that says HAMMER.

If you are going to Danny's, you would go the same way, as Danny's is at the corner of 20A and Abbott Road. I heard about the Shidoobee party, but really hate Danny's. Easily the worst food in town, and not great prices. And they limit what you can have in their lot.

If you are after a bar experience, try the Big Tree Inn, also same directions as it is at the corner of 20A and Abbott. The have good wings and it was the regular watering hole for many Bills players like Jim Kelly back in the day (and he still is seen there from time to time).

But for the full Orchard Park experience, come tailgate. Sunny and 81 degrees, music and other fans.

I will have a grill or 2 going from 3 or 4 pm on if anyone needs it.

Date: July 10, 2015 05:36

buffalo7478
mickjagger1009

Abbott Road stays open except for the part that is immediately in front of the stadium, so people can cross without being run over. They do this for every football game. By car, you get to Hammer by approaching from the south. Exiting Rt 219 (the main highway to Orchard Park) at Rt 20A. Make a left and follow 20A to Abbott Road. Make a right turn on Abbott and Hammer's lot will be on your left, look for a sign that says HAMMER.

If you are going to Danny's, you would go the same way, as Danny's is at the corner of 20A and Abbott Road. I heard about the Shidoobee party, but really hate Danny's. Easily the worst food in town, and not great prices. And they limit what you can have in their lot.

If you are after a bar experience, try the Big Tree Inn, also same directions as it is at the corner of 20A and Abbott. The have good wings and it was the regular watering hole for many Bills players like Jim Kelly back in the day (and he still is seen there from time to time).

But for the full Orchard Park experience, come tailgate. Sunny and 81 degrees, music and other fans.

I will have a grill or 2 going from 3 or 4 pm on if anyone needs it.

The shidoobee party is a one price for an all you can eat buffet and We can bring our own beer and jello shots etc. Also included is our own 20ft x 40ft tent, tables, chairs, our own porta-potties and dedicated serving staff.

But most of all.....we have approx. 180 shidoobee folks who will be there and having a blast!

Posted by: mickjackett ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:51

I'm seeing a lot of options for Saturday partying; any Friday plans? Anyone staying downtown? I'm at the Lenox on North St.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:54

forsure
Donnebr
rambler44
mickjackett
Is Hammer taking reservations for the lot? I want to guarantee a spot because I'll be there with my 72-year-old father (who is not Mick Jagger) and I don't want him to have to walk far. Plus, I don't want to miss out on the IORR party if the lot fills up with casual fans before I get there.

I have sent him an email to reserve a spot and have not received a reply.

I also emailed him. I am on route to Buffalo now, staying in horses head tonight. I don't have paypal & was gonna pay him the day of the show.
horseheads :-)

No clue what the name is, should have kept motoring to Buffalo. Tomorrow

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:59

I'll again extend the offer that if any one or two people want to chip in on a taxi I have lined up at 6:00p from the Town Place Suites by the Buffalo airport and back after the show - email me at dpemerson@verizon.net. Total cost is $100 R/T, so if I got 2 more to join me and my buddy, would be just $25 PP.

Date: July 10, 2015 06:05

SomeTorontoGirl
SomeTorontoGirl
Anyone interested in carpooling from Toronto, please let me know. I don't plan to stay overnight - have tix to the CanAm games the following day. I can be reached at [email protected]

These fellows left the concert completed sh*tfaced on beer, were stumbling, missed our meeting place, were somewhat inarticulate and, since I was sober, very tedious. I got them to the bus, but I would not want to have them in my car for 2+ hours driving from Buffalo to Toronto, including trying to get them across a border. It would cause me endless grief, be a risk I'm not willing to absorb while driving (don't want a drunk in the car while I'm driving the highway at night).

They were late leaving this morning while I waited in the car for a half hour to leave. And we're otherwise disrespectful of my time. Somehow extending them a favour put me at some obligation to THEM. Shortly before dropping them off, I raised the issue of their gas contribution. (Splitting the gas had been discussed earlier, but they didn't raise it after I picked them up.) No - I wasn't looking to profit on this, was prepared to pay for the gas down, and have the two of them pay for the gas back, which is what happened. Then I told the fellow, as nicely as possible, that I will not be driving him to Buffalo. He was polite but looked surprised. Baffled.

(Of yeah - he also wanted to travel light so didn't bring his cell phone. Leaving me no way to message him after the concert in the event we couldn't find each other.)

When I drive people somewhere, I feel a complete sense of responsibility - for my sobriety, having directions to where we are going, for the mechanical fitness of the car, and making sure people are not lost of left behind in a strange place. Others have extended me these courtesies in the past. For me, it is a no-brainer. For these folks - no sense of awareness whatsoever. Doing them a favour was damn hard work.

If you are providing rides, especially cross border, please be more diligent than I was, and make it clear what you will or won't accept, how long you are prepared to wait for them, and under what circumstances you would consider leaving them behind.

*** the concert was excellent!

I had a similar experience driving from Long Island, NY, to Hartford in 2005. I had two extra tickets and sold them at the last minute to an acquaintance and a friend of his I hadn't met. I'm glad I got back what I paid, but it was a hassle.

These guys got drunk in my car on the way to the show. After the show, I found them quickly enough, but they were falling down in the parking lot. I literally thought I was going to end up at the emergency room, and I was looking at a three-hour drive home. We made it to the car, but the one guy who I didn't know at all was livid that the friends of a woman he was hitting on blocked him (he was married, by the way). He was cursing and moaning in the back seat of my car. Annoying, plus I was worried he'd throw up. We stopped to get snacks, and I was worried this moron was going to get in a fight with someone in the convenience store.

Anyway, they both fell asleep quickly enough and didn't puke, but it was a shitty experience. They didn't even go to their seats and watch the show! They just wandered around the hallways of the stadium getting obliterated!

So to answer your original question/concern: you are completely justified in ditching those guys, and I agree with you that it's a shame that we can't just be benevolent to our fellow fans and have them return in kind.

See you in Hammer's Lot? Enjoy the show!

Date: July 10, 2015 06:06

mickjackett
I'm seeing a lot of options for Saturday partying; any Friday plans? Anyone staying downtown? I'm at the Lenox on North St.

Look back to Page 15 or so. I posted a variety of things to do, as did others. In the evening there is a party with a band covering Stones songs, raising money for the local food bank.

Lots to do near the Lenox. If you go to the left out of the hotel the first main street you get to is Elmwood, home to many bars and shops particularly if you head right on Elmwood. If you like Belgian style beer, try the Blue Monk. Want some wings or a burger try Cole's further up Elmwood.

Want a funkier neighborhood, take a right out of the hotel and a right on Delaware Ave and walk down to Allen Street. Several 'alternative' bars and restaurants.

But check out my post and some of Dean Goodman's a few pages back. The show mentioned for Friday night featuring Stones music sounds like it will be well-attended. My email info is on that post if you need any more help.

Date: July 10, 2015 06:08

Dean Goodman, will you be at Hammer's Lot before the show? I enjoy your reviews and I'd love to meet, have a beer, and chat Stones.

I'll be with my dad and siblings in a white Toyota minivan, and I'll be wearing an Exile cover wraparound T-shirt. Hope to see you there (and everyone else!).

Date: July 10, 2015 06:11

For those who has asked, the address for the Hammer lot is 4170 Abbott Road.

If you arrive after 3 pm, you will need to approach from the south via car (from Route 20A). Before 3 pm you can arrive from any direction.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 10, 2015 06:18

LadyJane
The are Downtown per my sources.
And thank you for the good wishes my old friend BRstonesfan.

You are welcome!!! It looks to be a great bunch of folks coming to Buffalo!!!! This could be the best pre/post party of the tour...lots of true fans who put the Stones #1 and hate U2 and the Beatles. Thankfully, the Stones are giving Buffalo "One More Shot".

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 10, 2015 06:26

@MickJackett. Not sure. I get very particular about parking. But I will look out for you and your dad (who's not Mick Jagger).

Posted by: HammersLot ()
Date: July 10, 2015 06:36

Christopher
Well , I am going to Hammers Lot to meet up. If there are no spaces left I'll park in the official lot and walk on over. I am sure the "unofficial" lots" will be where most of us will be.
I am waiting for a reply before sending $$ paypal.
John says it is reputable so I am going to take his word for it and if he is bringing a grill and coolers it makes it very enticing.
Sorry for the delay. I'm playing catch up. I will not be able to do pay pay. So please Email me with your name, and what time you will arrive. I will respond back and put your name on the IOOR list. Hammer6035@aol.com I will hold spots till 5:30

Posted by: HammersLot ()
Date: July 10, 2015 06:42

mickjagger1009

No it does NOT Abbott Rd is block in front of the stadium only Abbott Rd is open to the point.

Posted by: Darin75 ()
Date: July 10, 2015 08:21

It's gonna be a hell of a show! Can't Wait! I'll be wearing my Cotton Bowl 1975 shirt!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 18 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home