Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Lulu 1968
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 25, 2015 17:00

while we're waiting for the Stones...

I really like the song. she owns it..

I've always liked that look too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 17:01 by duke richardson.

Re: OT - Lulu 1968
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 25, 2015 19:12

she also covered The Stones' "Surprise, Surprise" with session man Jimmy Page on guitar

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 25, 2015 19:29

Re "Surprise Surprise" - well, now we all know what Lulu sounds like on speed.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 25, 2015 20:07

A cover of Bowie from the mid-70s. Produced by Bowie and Mick Ronson, with backing vocals by Bowie.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 25, 2015 21:23

I think Bowie also played sax on the cover of Man Who Sold.

He also, in the same time, turned up as saxophonist and backing vocalist on Steeleye Span's To Know Him is to Love Him, as produced by Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson.

I like what Lulu did between 1969/70 for Atco, wherein she recorded with Duane Allman and Eddie Hinton in Muscle Shoals. Dare I say it, but it was on a par with Dusty In Memphis.

Date: March 25, 2015 21:36

tomcasagranda
I think Bowie also played sax on the cover of Man Who Sold.

He also, in the same time, turned up as saxophonist and backing vocalist on Steeleye Span's To Know Him is to Love Him, as produced by Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson.

I like what Lulu did between 1969/70 for Atco, wherein she recorded with Duane Allman and Eddie Hinton in Muscle Shoals. Dare I say it, but it was on a par with Dusty In Memphis.

let me add to the well wishes for you, tomcasagranda.. all the best for your recovery.

im on the hunt for that album. just learned of it, guess this would be the one to get:
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 25, 2015 22:51

Flip side of "The Man Who Sold The World"

Date: March 26, 2015 02:22

For those i8nterested, here's Lulu's ATCO sessions. IMHO, it is not on a par with Dusty in Memphis, but this is just one person's opinion.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 26, 2015 02:48

only a few listens and I tend to agree its kinda searching for what to do with her.. Many thanks for posting

Date: March 26, 2015 10:21

dmay
For those i8nterested, here's Lulu's ATCO sessions. IMHO, it is not on a par with Dusty in Memphis, but this is just one person's opinion.

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, but there were so many artists sent down there for a bit of southern grit. Paul Simon, Jim Capaldi (solo and with Traffic), Irma Thomas, spring to mind. Ace have recently uncovered a set of instrumentals by the Muscle Shoals guys.

I do like the way the guys add to Lulu's vocals, and also how the choice of songs is pretty tasty too. I might be rambling a bit here, so don't worry.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:30

She did two great albums that`s covered by the Atco sessions CD. In addition, you get some bonus tracks that are not on the LPs. Maan, this is great music! Honestly, I think it`s better than Dusty In Memphis, more powerful, but in the same vein, sort of.

Date: March 26, 2015 21:46

Plus that marriage to Maurice Gibb brought forth some pretty tasty Bee Gee covers, pre disco.

Date: March 27, 2015 05:35

Irma Thomas may have recorded at Muscle Shoals, but she originally started in New Orleans if my memory is correct. She's considered one of the top performers to have come out of N'awlins. Allen Toussaint wrote and produced songs for her. Here's a taste of Irma.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
(The Stones may be familiar with this one)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

And a nice cover of the above:

[www.youtube.com]

And to my ears, Otis copped on the melody of Ruler of My Heart for this:

[www.youtube.com]

And wouldn't you want to hear the Stones do Otis' song? Y'all know you do along with a bunch of other r&b classics.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 28, 2015 10:59

duke richardson
im on the hunt for that album. just learned of it, guess this would be the one to get:
[www.amazon.com]

Your email address is hidden, I cannot help you here!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 29, 2015 03:12

Glasgow's finest tho' Maggie Bell is up there too.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home