Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
RRHOF: Green Day and not....
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:59

I like Green Day, but one look at the list of artists not in as of yet, and their inclusion seems seriously....presumptious. Are they just this year's obligatory 'cool and hip' inclusion, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers a few years ago..?
No Carole King, as a performer. (It could be argued that Tapestry has had a bigger influence on popular music since its release than GD's entire catalogue)
The Marvelettes
Tommy James and the Shondells
Deep Purple
The New York Dolls
and when you consider Lou Reed is barely getting in...
What's this GD induction about? I know its a f*** up, political committee, and not everyone deserves to be in, but c'mon...

[www.notinhalloffame.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 20:01 by stupidguy2.

Re: RRHOF: Green Day and not....
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:19

Green Day....reallly? They were my daughter's favorite band when she was in fifth grade. That's about right, I'd say.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:20

a relief then that Ringo's made the cut.

Date: March 18, 2015 21:26

It's perspective. Not saying, that at some point in, say, 15 year? that they don't deserve it.
But like the RHCP before them, its premature.
No Tommy James and the Shondells, no Shangrilas, no Black Sabbath, no Misfits..
I don't get it.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:33

Green Day's ticket got punched when they did American Idiot. When you're doing (preferably progressive, liberal) message music, it's catnip to the Rolling Stone mag crowd.

Date: March 18, 2015 21:40

StonesCat
Green Day's ticket got punched when they did American Idiot. When you're doing (preferably progressive, liberal) message music, it's catnip to the Rolling Stone mag crowd.

That's exactly it. Post-911, GD was making music that had a (liberal)political bent and they're also a RS Magazine darling....
It's a grotesquely premature induction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 21:42 by stupidguy2.

Date: March 18, 2015 21:47

Black Sabbath is in there.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:48

The Hall's questionable choices are about the only thing that gets them in the news these days. It's like they are trying to be controversial in the way the original rockers were.

Any organization that would induct Joan Jett before including Yes and Deep Purple is a joke, imo. Every rock guitar player I know knows a few Deep Purple and Yes tunes while I've never heard of a single player learning or covering Joan Jett.

peace

Date: March 18, 2015 21:52

Donkey Girl Scout

My mistake, I meant Deep Purple. And Naturalist is correct in regard to DP or Yes and their influence on musicians. One of the first songs I learned was Roundabout, and every guitar player over the age of 45 can do Smoke on the Water....
They made a mark. Alas, they're not politically correct right now.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:52

The Grateful Dead are not in the RRHF? They sold more tickets than almost any band for over 2 decades. Even now they're playing to over 400,000 people in 3 days. Tickets have been scalped at six figures.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 18, 2015 23:22

reckon they can spend without regard to how much..

damn that's a lot of money to see a band..

>>Tickets have been scalped at six figures.<<

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 18, 2015 23:58

DoomandGloom
The Grateful Dead are not in the RRHF? They sold more tickets than almost any band for over 2 decades. Even now they're playing to over 400,000 people in 3 days. Tickets have been scalped at six figures.
Yes they are. All the big ones for the most part are. The biggest I have found that aren't are:

Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Electric Light Orchestra/Jeff Lynne in some capacity
Harry Nilsson
The Moody Blues
Yes

I'm making it clear I don't know if all of these bands deserve it, but I'm just saying that based off everyone who's already in, these are glaring omissions. This second list is just a random ones that I feel are more controversial, but are people I found aren't in while searching through my iTunes (note that I made this years ago before Lou Reed was on the ballot).

Badfinger
Boston
Don McLean
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
Joe Cocker (he'll get in cause of death now)
Lou Reed (he's in for Velvet Underground but I am a bit surprised he's not in alone)
Meat Loaf
The Monkees
Ozzy Osbourne (in for Black Sabbath but I think he should probably be in alone as well)
Peter Frampton
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
T. Rex
Whitesnake

Date: March 19, 2015 00:53

Green Day, for the record, are not a terrible inductee. I don't think they should be in (or at least not yet), but by modern music standards it could be much worse. I prefer them to Abba or Madonna. Green Day has done their part in struggling. They had a breakthrough with Dookie in the mid 90s, and then AGAIN worldwide with American Idiot 10 years later. That rarely happens that an artist hits twice like that, and it also rarely happens that a band gets that big so late in the game. They'd already been around for 12-15 years by that point. They'd done their fair part of growing on their own terms. And whether you like it or not, they are one of the few genuine rock bands around today that are still keeping it alive, along with guys like Foo Fighters.

Again, in no way do I think they should be in a Hall Of Fame with The Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, The Who. Not in any way possible. But the bottom line is, Madonna and Abba and people like that already are, so this is at least a better inductee than those people. Whether you are a fan or not, they've solidified their place and there's a fair argument for them. They aren't even the worst nominee this year. They deserve this place, by the rules of what this stupid Hall has become.

Date: March 19, 2015 00:57

RollingFreak, I get all that,
Still too soon.....
No one who had their peaks in the 90s or 2000s should be in. That includes the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
Its a jerk-off vote.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 19, 2015 01:04

stupidguy2
Still too soon.....
No one who had their peaks in the 90s or 2000s should be in. That includes the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
Its a jerk-off vote.

25 years is 25 years. Green Day had some indie stuff from the late 80s, so they qualify.

Date: March 19, 2015 01:39

stupidguy2
Donkey Girl Scout

My mistake, I meant Deep Purple. And Naturalist is correct in regard to DP or Yes and their influence on musicians. One of the first songs I learned was Roundabout, and every guitar player over the age of 45 can do Smoke on the Water....
They made a mark. Alas, they're not politically correct right now.

My son's 9 and I just taught him Smoke On The Water on guitar...he loves it!

Date: March 19, 2015 01:41

StonesCat
stupidguy2
Still too soon.....
Its a jerk-off vote.

25 years is 25 years. Green Day had some indie stuff from the late 80s, so they qualify.

I have no problem with Green Day or the Chili's getting in. I agree 25 years is 25 years.

I do however disagree with a lot of the choices. Joan Jett? Ringo? Madonna? come on.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: March 19, 2015 02:31

R&R hall of fame is such a joke I can understand why some inductees have turned their nose at it. Green Day gets in this early but Lou Reed gets a posthumous induction? Yeah that makes great sense.

So many subpar acts get in and so many more deserving potential inductees miss out. It is going to get even worse as well in coming times once all the terrible pop artists of the last 10-15 years start becoming eligible.

Date: March 19, 2015 04:12

woodyweaving
R&R hall of fame is such a joke I can understand why some inductees have turned their nose at it. Green Day gets in this early but Lou Reed gets a posthumous induction? Yeah that makes great sense.

So many subpar acts get in and so many more deserving potential inductees miss out. It is going to get even worse as well in coming times once all the terrible pop artists of the last 10-15 years start becoming eligible.

I think that Lou was overlooked is ridiculous. But that should have no bearing on whether The Chili's or Green Day should get in.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2015 04:29

It don't mean a thing till Harmonica Frank gets inducted ...
The guy deserves it for Rock-A-Little Baby ....... they don't come much looser than that one...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 19, 2015 04:52

Rockman
It don't mean a thing till Harmonica Frank gets inducted ...
The guy deserves it for Rock-A-Little Baby ....... they don't come much looser than that one...

I thought Elvis the Pelvis did Rock-A-Hula Baby first.

Date: March 19, 2015 04:56

....different song treacle but Harmonica Frank cut Rock-A-Little Baby in '58

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 19, 2015 05:04

stupidguy2
StonesCat

That's exactly it. Post-911, GD was making music that had a (liberal)political bent and they're also a RS Magazine darling....
It's a grotesquely premature induction.

Definitely true. Jann Wenner and his henchmen run this crap. You have to have a certain amount of street-cred to get in. THat's why the Monkess aren't in, and that's why it took forever to get the Holles, Dave Clark Five and even Gene Vincen and Rick Nelson to get in. Wenner's still kind of living in 1968.

Date: March 19, 2015 07:31

treaclefingers
woodyweaving

I think that Lou was overlooked is ridiculous. But that should have no bearing on whether The Chili's or Green Day should get in.

Completely agree. I'm such a huge Lou Reed fan and it made me sick for years he never got in on his own. Its even worse that he's getting in only cause he died. Its actually despicable. But again, we're dealing with what this Hall is now. To give it any more thought or emotion towards their inductions is worthless because its more than they deserve. If they kept the high standard they pretty much had until 2000, I'd be a lot more angry and upset about people like Lou Reed, Deep Purple, the Moody Blues, and I would have a louder voice in keeping people like Green Day out. People like Abba and Madonna would be nowhere near the Hall.

But again, this place has become a joke and doesn't deserve the attention. The only thing to think now is that hopefully things move in a better direction. Which they won't, but its why I'll stick by people like Green Day getting inducted. With who has and who could get inducted, it could be much worse, and at least Green Day has an argument. If you don't agree with their induction, basically ignore they are getting in. The only thing I do with this Hall nowadays is hope some of my favorites go in each year and I follow those, mainly for reunions and to give those bands a happy and deserved ending. Anyone else, I just shrug off since the Hall DOES NOT MATTER.

Date: March 19, 2015 08:33

Rockman
....different song treacle but Harmonica Frank cut Rock-A-Little Baby in '58

ah of course, and even if it was the same song, Elvis' was in 1961 for Blue Hawaii.

Date: March 19, 2015 08:36

....no problem mate ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 12:58

The RRHOF is a bit of a joke but it's always good when people who deserve it get recognition. Really happy Lou Reed is in as a solo artist, shame it didn't happen in his lifetime though. Wonder if John Cale will also get a solo induction? The guy is such a talented songwriter and musician, not to mention his great work as a producer.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 21, 2015 13:06

Chelsea Girl and Paris 1919 are both stunning records.

Date: March 21, 2015 16:20

RollingFreak
DoomandGloom
Yes they are. All the big ones for the most part are. The biggest I have found that aren't are:

Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Electric Light Orchestra/Jeff Lynne in some capacity
Harry Nilsson
The Moody Blues
Yes

I'm making it clear I don't know if all of these bands deserve it, but I'm just saying that based off everyone who's already in, these are glaring omissions. This second list is just a random ones that I feel are more controversial, but are people I found aren't in while searching through my iTunes (note that I made this years ago before Lou Reed was on the ballot).

Badfinger
Boston
Don McLean
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
Joe Cocker (he'll get in cause of death now)
Lou Reed (he's in for Velvet Underground but I am a bit surprised he's not in alone)
Meat Loaf
The Monkees
Ozzy Osbourne (in for Black Sabbath but I think he should probably be in alone as well)
Peter Frampton
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
T. Rex
Whitesnake

The idea that GD should be inducted is just laughable. That tears it for me and the HOF. there are artists I am not wild about, but I understand why thyey should be in there. GD did a few albums that sold bwell, but have they had ONE original thought?

Deep Purple and Yes must be in thefre as soon as possible. And - seriously: are the Moody Blues not in there?
Huge omission is T.Rex. Is Marc Bolan in there on his own maybe?

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 21, 2015 16:27

Bolan = main influence of the early Bowie stuff

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home