Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MATHIJS: WHY IS AKRON '72 A FAVOURITE SHOW OF YOURS?
Date: July 8, 2005 05:13

3/6 through 26/7 is my 'Stones season', much like the 12th of August is when the English head North to shoot grouse, the 1st of September is partridge and the first of October is south for pheasant. But enough of my affected bloody (literally, again) Britishness. So, during these two months I pull my '72 boots offa the shelf, listen to them endlessly, thereby reducing my neighbours to a small group of Stones-loathing irregulars.

But I digress, as the bride said to the groom on their wedding night as she got up to bake a cake...

Mathijs, whom, as we all know, is the undisputed Master of All Things Stones, counts Akron '72 as one of the STP tour's best shows. I now wish Mathijs to tell us why in minute detail. If he does, I'll show him parts of Heiloo he's never seen before!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: MATHIJS: WHY IS AKRON '72 A FAVOURITE SHOW OF YOURS?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2005 14:45

Well, and don't know the exact reason, but somehow the 1972 tour peaks right in the middle: they were hot as hell from playing 25 shows, and weren't too spaced out on drugs yet as is the end of the tour a bit. The Mobile, Washington, Norfolk, Charlotte and Akron shows are to me the pinnacle of any R&R tour to this day. The sheer energy flowing from the stage is unprecedented, and not matched ever since. Everything was right: the guitars (Taylor still was inventive, while later on he seems to get bored a bit, and Keith still had everything under control while on the end of the tour he seems to just bash harder and harder without finesse), Jagger is at his ever best while later on his voice was shot, Charlie and Bill are encredible, and -very important- Nicky Hopkins is in the front of the mix at all these shows. For some reason I find the Akron show the best of the best. Jagger wasn't to interested to do this show ("there just farmers" he states in STP) but it sounds like one of those things you just can't predict as a musician: one night you have the best night ever, while the next day is horrible. It just sounds to me like the Stones themselves are really surprised they play so well and easily that night. You can hear the joy of the band shining through.

Mathijs

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 8, 2005 17:24

What is the best source for Akron?

Posted by: wawijr ()
Date: July 8, 2005 18:35

Is there a complete Norfolk show out there? I have something that says it's Norfolk but I think is Charolette.

I'm trying to collect all of the Stones Virginia shows.
I live in downtown Norfolk a few blocks from where they played.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 8, 2005 19:04

I sthe Akron show on the 7cd set Stones touring Party and if so wich one?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 8, 2005 19:12

Wuudy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sthe Akron show on the 7cd set Stones touring
> Party and if so wich one?

No, it isn't... The box is SBD recordings, except for a few "rarities"

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 9, 2005 00:46

all info:

[home.wanadoo.nl]

Mathijs

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 9, 2005 01:51

The 1972 Ft. Worth concert ("Ahmet Ertegun Thank You Kindly", June 24, 2nd show) is now available on alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.m

- Koen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-09 01:54 by Koen.

Posted by: macdaddy ()
Date: July 9, 2005 02:14

after all this talk, how's about someone uplaoding this one to the ro tracker - that is what it is there for, and it is open to all...

here's to hoping...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home