Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Clapton or AC/DC?
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 16, 2015 16:54

Koen

Nine Inch Nails: [zup.cm]

We are already 2015. Unfortunately.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2015 17:01

Haha, I didn't even see these were outdated.

Thanks for spotting that!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:47

Do you like to sit or stand? Only one choice if you like to rock!

Re: Clapton or AC/DC?
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:55

StonedAsia
I've seen Clapton many times, the last being in Shanghai. I've never seen AC/DC so the choice is obvious, for me at least. And Paris in May? Not a hard choice smiling smiley

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. McCartney, I'll be seeing in April at Tokyo Dome, so I don't need to see him again. But, as you mention, a day in Paris sounds really tempting, as long as I can wake up in time to catch the morning train. Lunch in Paris, check out the Louvre, head to Stade de France. Not to mention that the prices of the Clapton show are outrageous. And, I want to try this pork tonkatsu/egg sandwich, which is apparently served on Saturdays at Abri, a small restaurant in Paris.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 18:56 by drbryant.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:58

skyhawk
I have a ticket FOS for Paris May 23, but I don't know if I make it to get in Paris on time. You know there is a band in California in that very same period....winking smiley

Trust me; I will be spending most of Wednesday trying to match up a concert with a business trip to the US I need to make June 5-6. I love it when people ask me "why are you flying from Tokyo to LA via Minneapolis on Delta?"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:52

<<won't have alot more chances to see either one of these legends.>>

According to what Clapton himself has said in recent months, this will be the last chance, as he has expressed a desire to retire from live peforming, at least tour-wise.

So since AC/DC are not retiring in the near and immediate future, and you can only go see one or the other, and since you will never again be presented with this exact combination to choose from, may as well go see Clapton while he's still out there.

Clapton retirement story at: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 16, 2015 20:27

See Clapton.........

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 20:38

drbryant
So it looks like I'll be in London on May 23. Should I see Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall or should I take the Eurostar to Paris and see AC/DC at Stade de France? I've seen both recently (AC/DC on their last tour and Clapton last year at Budokan. I'll probably go alone and I'll have to pay inflated broker prices but cost and time are not an issue since I have Saturday free. What would you do?

If you want to ROCK, go to AC DC

If you want to go to sleep, go to EC

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 16, 2015 20:46

alhavu1
drbryant
So it looks like I'll be in London on May 23. Should I see Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall or should I take the Eurostar to Paris and see AC/DC at Stade de France? I've seen both recently (AC/DC on their last tour and Clapton last year at Budokan. I'll probably go alone and I'll have to pay inflated broker prices but cost and time are not an issue since I have Saturday free. What would you do?

If you know how to ROCK, say "yeah" (yeah)
If you know how to party, say "oh yeah" (oh yeah)

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 22:45

alhavu1

Have you ever been to EC concert? I thought Clapton was sort of boring (like many people thing, I guess), untill I went to see him. I absolutely loved the concert. That was 2 years ago. Then I saw him again the last year and had a great time again. Would not hesitate to go again.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 16, 2015 23:05

drbryant

I'd go to Paris but I wouldn't see AC/DC. I'd see Paris.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 17, 2015 00:13

Happy24
alhavu1

Have you ever been to EC concert? I thought Clapton was sort of boring (like many people thing, I guess), untill I went to see him. I absolutely loved the concert. That was 2 years ago. Then I saw him again the last year and had a great time again. Would not hesitate to go again.

glad you enjoyed the show, definitely a different experience than I had.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:08

I have seen both and was bored - sorry, that's the right word.
Once AC/DC as a support for the Stones: About one to two decent songs, the rest was the whole gimmick stuff like bell and school uniform but no "music" filling 90 minutes.
Clapton (with the even more boring Derek Trucks) was more some kind of classical or jazz concert. Perfection but no emotion and the somehow surprising realization he hardly has any songs filling 90 minutes.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:17

JJHMick
I have seen both and was bored - sorry, that's the right word.
Once AC/DC as a support for the Stones: About one to two decent songs, the rest was the whole gimmick stuff like bell and school uniform but no "music" filling 90 minutes.
Clapton (with the even more boring Derek Trucks) was more some kind of classical or jazz concert. Perfection but no emotion and the somehow surprising realization he hardly has any songs filling 90 minutes.

I can understand your points about Clapton an AC/DC but when you call Derek Trucks even more boring you've lost me. Makes me wonder what you think of a modern Stones show?

peace

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:23

If there were 2 bands or artists I liked, and was seeking advise on which one to see, I certainly wouldn't listen to someone who wasn't a fan of both.

That being said, earlier in this thread I said, as a fan of both, I would pick AC/DC, however the thought of RAH vs Stadium does make Clapton sound more tempting. For some reason, Clapton seems to sound better these days, when there is another good guitarist on stage with him....I guess it pushes him. I last saw him with Winwood, a great show.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 17, 2015 21:28

I can understand your points about Clapton an AC/DC but when you call Derek Trucks even more boring you've lost me. Makes me wonder what you think of a modern Stones show?

peace[/quote]

An acquaintance burned me a Trucks cd and there was some mini thing for the Computer in a magazine. I think he has no good songs - well, good isn't a good word: Songs that grab you - maybe.
A modern Stones show: Show is a good word as Mick actually doesn't need his war horses! He could excite with Mongolian shepherd Songs. He distracts me a bit off the music (that got better in 2014). But whenever I've been to the Who I felt more to be in a concert than in a show despite windmills and flying lasso-mikes.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 17, 2015 22:01

drbryant

Well, I've been going to see Clapton at the RAH since way back in either the late 1980s or early 1990s - which is when he first started doing these runs of shows there, typically in the spring. Saw him there most recently in the fall of 2011, and I think time has significantly bettered him .... I have always enjoyed his shows, but with the benefit of having seen dozens of them over possibly 25 years, I would plum for Clapton at the RAH in the year 2015. He IS actually threatening to quit touring altogether, I think he's getting very fed up with the travel ... I recall him alluding to this several times in the last 2-3 years.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-17 22:03 by paulywaul.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 17, 2015 22:52

paulywaul, liked your post, as I generally do.
I used to know EC in bad times and good...
You might be interested to know that one of our
best old buddies here (thrown off a couple of years ago)
sent me a copy of Eric's Japan concert from early in this
century.

I started playing the CD and suddenly, I said to myself: "Eric is HAPPY."

He played really, really well. Hopefully, that's what you'll get at the RAH.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 17, 2015 23:27

In two large cities there are really no other gig options that week?

I would say AC/DC if not in a stadium; they are amazing and put on an entertaining show. Clapton = snoozefest 80% of the time, unless he is playing with quality musicians who push him.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 17, 2015 23:44

Im' afraid that in 2015 an AC/DC show will be a loud snoozefest...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home