Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Looking for Information on Chesley Millikin & The Rolling Stones
Posted by: punkskins ()
Date: March 15, 2015 12:36

Hi

I'm currently researching Chesley Millikin for a college project and I'm trying to find out what his role with The Rolling Stones was and from what period from what I have looks like late 70s to early 90s and any photos would be nice aswell.

Regards Paul

Re: Looking for Information on Chesley Millikin & The Rolling Stones
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 16, 2015 09:22

Sorry not to have any great info for you, but I see you're new on iorr, and didn't want you to feel totally ignored.

I'm sure you've done a lot of research already, but I found (web search only) this, of potential interest:

"One day in early 1982, Mick Jagger dropped by the horse-racing track Manor Downs to view some thoroughbreds. Millikin was also the general manager of the track, and he passed a videotape of one of Vaughan’s performances to his old friend. A few days later, Stones drummer Charlie Watts called Millikin and asked when he and Mick could see Vaughan play. Millikin hastily arranged a private showcase party in New York City at the Danceteria nightclub in April. Aside from members of the Rolling Stones, only a handful of people showed up, but a photograph and an article about the party appeared in Rolling Stone magazine. Rumors spread that Vaughan was going to sign a deal with Rolling Stones Records, but Jagger passed, saying as many others had that the blues just doesn’t sell."
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Lone Star Rising, Guitar Magazine - 08/18/2010

Other than that, and his association with Sam Cutler (of whose 1969 role with the Rolling Stones you're probably aware), what leads you the believe Millikin had a specific "role" vis-à-vis the Stones?

-swiss

Re: Looking for Information on Chesley Millikin & The Rolling Stones
Posted by: srijim1 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 08:50

Delighted to see you’re looking for information on Chesley Millikin. Chesley was one of my dearest friends. He was a one-of-a-kind Irishman who moved to Canada and then to the United States in the late 50’s after competing as a member of the Royal Irish Jumping Team. He was a man of many talents who started his career in the music business around 1966. The first band of prominence he managed was “Kaleidoscope”, which featured a young David Lindley. I’m not sure of the exact dates, but I believe he was offered and accepted a job in 1967 as executive vice-president for Epic Records in London. This was most likely when he became associated socially with the Rolling Stones. He became friends with Mick Jagger and became particularly close with Charlie Watts and Sam Cutler. In 1968, Chesley became personal manager for British rocker, Terry Reid. Terry is somewhat infamous for turning Jimmy Page down when asked to be lead singer for Led Zeppelin. Terry suggested Page contact Robert Plant instead. Through his connections with Mick and Charlie, Chesley was able to get Terry on the ’69 American Tour with the Stones. It was a triple bill as I recall with the Stones, Terry Reid, and I believe B.B. King. You would need to check that though. When Terry’s career started falling apart in the early 70’s due to a drug problem Chesley left to road manage the New Riders of the Purple Sage. I believe this is when he started working with Sam Cutler as a member of the Out of Town Tours management team in San Raphael, California. Although Out of Town booked many acts (myself included, Paxton Brothers) they primarily worked for the Grateful Dead whose office was just up the street. I remember in ’76, Chesley moved over to the Dead’s offices. At some point in the late 70’s, he moved on to Austin, Texas to manage Manor Downs Racetrack with Frances Carr. Frances was a wealthy heiress who had previously worked with Chesley and Sam and the Grateful Dead. It was during the Austin years (early 80’s) he and Frances became aware of Stevie Ray Vaughan and took on his career under Classic Management.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home