Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

WHO SAW THE 1972 SHOWS? TELL US EVERYTHING YOU REMEMBER, PLEASE!
Date: July 7, 2005 10:59

Please provide those of us who missed this tour w/your memories and experiences, however trite and boring they may seem to you. Cheers, thanks a lot...

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: WHO SAW THE 1972 SHOWS? TELL US EVERYTHING YOU REMEMBER, PLEASE!
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 7, 2005 16:16

I saw the stones in 73 and it was my first stones concert, i remember camping out all night to get a ticket as there was two concerts one starting at 17.30 & the next one at 20.30 and thats the one i went for.

Billy preston was the support act and i have to say he was brilliant in so much they was shouting for him to come back on <first & last time i seen that before the stones were due on>, what can i say the stones were brilliant and looking back obviously in thier prime and realise how good mick taylor was and how he complemented the band.

I remmember my mate just before the end saying were going to miss the last bus if we dont go no i replied some thing like F*** the bus how can you miss something like this!.

as i say if i could only go back in time i definatly would have appreciated them a lot more, but i could say that for talking heads.

One of these days i will get switched on.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 7, 2005 16:44

By the way midnight rambler stood out so much it was done brilliantly, and sadly never to be repeated imho.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 7, 2005 16:47

was the audience aware of taylor the new guitar god or did jaggers antics
steal the spotlight.

taylor's torching guitar lines piercing the garden walls

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 7, 2005 17:14

Saw the Stones in Jan 73 in Honolulu, Hawaii. I wasn't even 13 years old yet, at my first concert. ZZ Top opened the show. It was an all white stage, very simple, with a large tongue backdrop. The only real prop was a huge moving mirror on the ceiling of the arena, operated by a man in a tiny cage, that was used to reflect to the stage spotlights aimed at the mirror from behind the stage. Pretty cool, actually.

They came out through the tongue backdrop. Jagger in his white jumpsuit, Keith all over the stage. Mick, thin and blonde, and Bill, stonefaced except for the occasional smile at Mick, glued to their spots on stage, and Charlie, rock solid as usual. They played about 85 minutes, no encore, and absolutely incredible. From today's perspective, a virtual greatest hits set, but at the time, most of it was still fresh.

Brown Sugar, Bitch, Rocks Off, Gimme Shelter, It's All Over Now, Sweet Virginia, Happy, Tumbling Dice, Dead Flowers, YCAGWYW, Midnight Rambler, Rip this Joint, JJF, SFM (might be forgetting one).

Absolutely Amazing.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: July 7, 2005 19:42

Vancouver, First Night

Lets see, if I recal it was the first time folks lined up over night for anything (tickets that is) and we got the last 7 before they sold out. Only three of the seven of us got to go because parents did not like the bad hype the show was getting....the bad boys of R&R.

Stormed the doors and ran to front of stage, do not recall any barriers and we were squeezed about 5 back from the stage and dead center. We were so close all I saw of the piano player was his legs under the piano and we stood in the spot light from the rear stage mounted spots. The guy who held up the cassette player so we can all enjoy it today stood about 5 spots to my left and you can probably hear me in the audience.

Just before the lights go out I get into some sweat hash...this becomes critical later. So I believe it was Martha Reeves and a big bad who start and knock off about two great R&B tunes and the croud is loving it...not much Detroit music hitting the west caost in those days. Martha leaves and walks Stevie Wonder out unannounced (his name was not on the bill or advertized, more on this later). Well the roof came off the place when he just walked on stage....realizing this was turning into a double show I smoked some more hash...the problem is building. Stevie plays keyboard, chromatic, sings, dances, falls down and knocks off a deadly drum solo....very impressive. Break time.

The Stones took forever to get going. The croud was boooing. They made anouncements after anouncements...quite annoying ( the begining of L&G captures this tour preshow tension quite well I thought). They are also indicating a riot is going on outside and that the Stones will be putting on a hell of a show so we can go out and tell them what they missed. Sensing the show will start I take, yes more hash. Frankly since allot of the material was new, remember Exhile is no classic at this time, I was a little put off, I liked a show with hits and Stevie did a better job of that. It is well documented about the equipment problems that night and it still ranks as the worst show I have ever seen as far as getting the thing going and keeping it going. I do recall spotting a Lemon Gin mickey bottle spinning over my head into the front stage light as Mick is strutting across the stage, this thing is going to hit him right on the ear, just, and I mean just as Mick is about to get clipped he turns 180 and the bottle kisses the back of his hair, hits the lip of Charlie's bass drum and flips back up and over Charlies head.

Now there is a three song gap in my story. About two thirds into the show my eyesight starts to dim, I am standing but going blind. Sheer determination keeps me upright and I go completely black but seem to be standing. Then I sence something on my forhead, what could be touching my forehead if I'm standing I think...unless I'm not standing....maybe it's the shoulder of the guy infront of me (good guess as it turns out)....I try to snap myself into an upright standing position but my momentum sends me straight backwards...out cold on the floor. I was holding my girlfreinds hand and managed to do some damage when I tried to rip it off. I recall waking up on my back, sitting up, looking at knees and during a break asking how many songs did I miss...three a guy next to me says. I sat one out on the floor and got up to finish the show. The only other concert I ever got that waisted at was Seattle 81 (15th), I'm the guy looking woosy in the back rows. We dragged our feet on the way out as not to step on any hard liquor bottles and go for a ride. Took the 4 AM ferry home. By the time I woke up midafternoon the folks were freeking that I was OK since the news was full of the riot footage which nobody inside saw.

The guy next to me in the office has a similar story and the guy on the other side of me was outside being chased by riot police on horses.

There is a little known historical moment to this particular show covered in Stevie's bio. Seemed he had an impression that nobody knew his music outside of the Mowtown circles and he wanted to bring his music to white audiences...what better way than sign with the greatest white band in the world. He actually thought he was not worth billing, hence the surprize at show time. Now I like to think this was me and my freinds...when he walked out he was immediately recocnized and addored...the roof came off and me and everyone in the front rows were just screeming...THATS STEVIE WONDER...he heard that. Evidentaly that rush of coming out on stage and being recognized sparked him into a touring career. Very cool to be part of that.

I love hindsight....at the time I was miffed with the amount of new material, I went because if your parents let you go you would be the coolest kids on the block. I had seen everyone from CCR, GD, Allmans, CSNY, Fleetwood Mac (original), Savoy Brown, John Baldry and many more in months both sdes of that show and what stood out was how poorly run it was compared to other bands, the wait, the eqipment. Today IORR fans have given me an alternative perspecive on it's signifigance, the Stevie angle is cool and once again thanks to that guy I thought was crazy to hold up a cassette player for the whole show.

Date: July 7, 2005 19:51

I have that vancouver boot they do torn and frayed and ventilator blues if i
remember. The quality of the boot is not as good as some of the other shows
from 72. I still think Drippin Honey from NC is awesome as well as philly.dc and
MSG shows.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 7, 2005 20:19

Was at the July show in Charlotte. Most people got there by noon and mulled around in the parking lot.

Show started with Stevie Wonder, he was well received.

This was the first show that many concert goers saw the sound system hanging from the ceiling. The stage was covered in a dragon pattern with Charlie on a small riser. There was a wall of amps which the guys would actually walk back to and adjust the knobs. There was guitar tuning between songs on stage, no big screen, no security fence. Fans were actually hanging over the floor monitors on the stage.

Keith was in his semi-gypsy garb, Jagger the white jump-suit and brown leather jacket taht came off early on. Taylor was just the new guy that took Brian's place. Trumpet and sax, Bobby in a ruffled prom shirt. Nicky was off to the side in the shadows. A fifth sat on the edge of the drum riser.

Best I recall the show started about an hour late. Wyman standing still to the side, Taylor stand still just beside the drum riser. There was alot of interaction between Jagger and Richards. They often shared a mic Richards was the backup singers. Mick covered the small stage all night, seldom seemed that he ever had both feet on the stage at the same moment. Most of the show was "warhorses" although they were new at the time. Songs like Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man went over well. Midnight Rambler was a show hit, not just for the music but Jagger crawling the floor and waving that wide belt.

Show lasted maybe an hour and twenty minutes. House lights were up for the finally. Crowd was loud and excited but not distructive in any way. Some beer drinking and pot smoke filled the place. Best Stones show I ever saw and for 33 years I've gone back trying to recapture that feeling, knowing I never will.

Date: July 7, 2005 20:29

wow awesome memories thanks for sharing - Everytime I watch LAG I wish I could
go back in time to be there.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 7, 2005 21:00

Great stories, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: July 7, 2005 22:54

Was there in 69 and 72 - MS Garden

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2005 00:57

Saw the three Melbourne 1973 shows.

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2005 00:58

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw the Stones in Jan 73 in Honolulu, Hawaii. I
> wasn't even 13 years old yet, at my first concert.
> ZZ Top opened the show. It was an all white
> stage, very simple, with a large tongue backdrop.
> The only real prop was a huge moving mirror on the
> ceiling of the arena, operated by a man in a tiny
> cage, that was used to reflect to the stage
> spotlights aimed at the mirror from behind the
> stage. Pretty cool, actually.
>
> They came out through the tongue backdrop. Jagger
> in his white jumpsuit, Keith all over the stage.
> Mick, thin and blonde, and Bill, stonefaced except
> for the occasional smile at Mick, glued to their
> spots on stage, and Charlie, rock solid as usual.
> They played about 85 minutes, no encore, and
> absolutely incredible. From today's perspective,
> a virtual greatest hits set, but at the time, most
> of it was still fresh.
>
> Brown Sugar, Bitch, Rocks Off, Gimme Shelter, It's
> All Over Now, Sweet Virginia, Happy, Tumbling
> Dice, Dead Flowers, YCAGWYW, Midnight Rambler, Rip
> this Joint, JJF, SFM (might be forgetting one).
>
> Absolutely Amazing.

If you saw the first show, on Sunday night, where they played "Live With Me" and Mick talked about 'cat's eyes' binoculars, you saw on the of the best Stones live performances in their careers.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: July 8, 2005 01:10

OpenG Wrote:
> I have that vancouver boot they do torn and frayed
> and ventilator blues if i
> remember. The quality of the boot is not as good
> as some of the other shows
> from 72. I still think Drippin Honey from NC is
> awesome as well as philly.dc and
> MSG shows.
>
>

I can barely listen to Vancouver because Keith's guitars are always so f8cking out of tune. I cannot accept a professional musician w/a personal assist JUST FOR TUNING the guitars, playing out of tune. It ruins the show for me. But, better to have an out of tune boot than none at all, eh?

Date: July 8, 2005 01:12

fxc1 Wrote:
> Was there in 69 and 72 - MS Garden

Please reply with everything you can remember. I am particularly interested in the New York shows. Please please reply. I'll have a mass said for you if you do...

Date: July 8, 2005 01:15

skippy Wrote:
> Was at the July show in Charlotte. Most people got
> there by noon and mulled around in the parking
> lot.
>
> Show started with Stevie Wonder, he was well
> received.
>
> This was the first show that many concert goers
> saw the sound system hanging from the ceiling. The
> stage was covered in a dragon pattern with Charlie
> on a small riser. There was a wall of amps which
> the guys would actually walk back to and adjust
> the knobs. There was guitar tuning between songs
> on stage, no big screen, no security fence. Fans
> were actually hanging over the floor monitors on
> the stage.
>
> Keith was in his semi-gypsy garb, Jagger the white
> jump-suit and brown leather jacket taht came off
> early on. Taylor was just the new guy that took
> Brian's place. Trumpet and sax, Bobby in a ruffled
> prom shirt. Nicky was off to the side in the
> shadows. A fifth sat on the edge of the drum
> riser.
>
> Best I recall the show started about an hour late.
> Wyman standing still to the side, Taylor stand
> still just beside the drum riser. There was alot
> of interaction between Jagger and Richards. They
> often shared a mic Richards was the backup
> singers. Mick covered the small stage all night,
> seldom seemed that he ever had both feet on the
> stage at the same moment. Most of the show was
> "warhorses" although they were new at the time.
> Songs like Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man
> went over well. Midnight Rambler was a show hit,
> not just for the music but Jagger crawling the
> floor and waving that wide belt.
>
> Show lasted maybe an hour and twenty minutes.
> House lights were up for the finally. Crowd was
> loud and excited but not distructive in any way.
> Some beer drinking and pot smoke filled the place.
> Best Stones show I ever saw and for 33 years I've
> gone back trying to recapture that feeling,
> knowing I never will.

I listened to Charlotte the other night and they were so hot it was unbelievable! MR ranks up there w/the best. I think Jagger was really turned on by the audience because he does all these extra noises and he talks between songs. When the show is going really bad Mick never talks between the songs. When it's going really well, he chats and is relaxed and friendly and you just think he's the coolest guy in the world. Like when he says, "This is one we wrote specially for you", before SV. He only ever said that at one other show, and that was Norfolk the previous evening. Mick was literally screaming the place down after MR. The last four songs portray the image of Mick Jagger the F8cking God of Rock and Roll. Nobody came close to him that night.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 8, 2005 01:26

Philly 7-21 afternoon show...gettin tickets was crazy , no ticketmaster in those days ,had to drive 2 hrs to philly spectrum ticket window which when i arrived was already a mob sceen.when people got their tickets @ the window, well there was nowhere to go but up,,the crowd carried u out & away from the ticket window,we was moshing in june of 72. 2 shows sold out in 1 & half hrs. so i guess they called promoter & added an afternoon show.which they handed out 3 dog night tickets that u would mail in to receive stones tics....the day of show philly was bussed up talkin about the show the night before ... ya no stuff like they did love in vain , ya cant , mid rambler...people lookin for tickets all over the place.we sold 3 tickets for evening show for 15.00 apeice..face was 6.50... to think i could of saw stones twice in one day oh shit...chip monk does his intro & jagger says good morning..for this show ticket said 2:00 p. m. start ..s.wonder did about an hour.. stones came on about 3:30 ,,if ya have the philly bootleg jagger says thank u for your dimes but 1 just hit me in the face because people were throwing money on the stage like crazy .. lots of bras too...it was to this day best concert ive ever seen with taylor being most interesting guitar player? & ive seen harrison ,clapton,& page

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 8, 2005 02:24

It's July 19, 1972, a hot, sticky summer day and I was in line with my boyfriend clutching my $6.50 ticket to see the Stones at the old Boston Garden in Massachusetts. Our seats were great! Onr level up, right over the stage left! We suffered through a set by Little Stevie Wonder, a relatvely new " star" in 1972. The wait seemed endless and then suddenly all of the lights went out. It was 9:30pm, and I could see the light on Keith's amp turn on and I could see movement in the shadows backstage. I saw Keith tuning up and then the opening song, " Brown Sugar" followed by " Bitch", " All Down The Line", and " Happy" with Mick sharing a mike with Keith, bumping and grinding and moving " like a stud". Mick wore a golden one piece jumpsuit with bright pink sash around his waist.I remember the first thing Mick said was " Whew, it's HOT in here! Open a window, open the ROOF!" ( I keep a journal so all of this is accurate!) He played harmonica on " Sweet Virginia" and Midnight Rasmbler" where he whipped the stage with his belt. SEXY as HELL! I recall the energy and the raw sound taking my breathe away. " Love In Van" and Gimme Shelter were highlights as well as new songs from " Exile" that sounded incredibly fresh! " Rip This Joint", " Tumbling Dice" and " Rocks Off". THe dancing was feverish and I could see the gold glitter sliding off Mick's face and chest. He pranced over to our side of the stage and blew us kisses goodbye and did this all the way around the stage.He ducked behind the amps and I watched a roadie hand him a towel as he dried off.The encore was " Jumpin Jack Flassh" as all of the house lights went up! Totally frantic pace! Time of the show, 93 minutes.Bows from the waist, all band members come out to wave goodbye but I remember I paid litle attention to the other band members, however I did notice how fluid Mick Taylor's style was and how the guitars blended together,and how bluesy " Love in Vain" sounded, a bit different, better than the recorded version. I was exhausted, and hooked on the Stones LIVE 4-ever more!

Date: July 8, 2005 03:11

"stones came on about 3:30 ,,if ya have the philly bootleg jagger says thank u for your dimes but 1 just hit me in the face"

Actually two markers from that show. What Mick says after "Happy" is, "I love your dimes, I love your dimes but please don't throw 'em in me face."

The other is, "It's four o'clock. TIME FOR TEA! We're gonna get Keith up to sing Happy for ya."

In STP, Greenfield (who didn't even attend the show) says it was terrible. I don't think so AND the encore of "Uptight/Satisfaction" where Jagger is wearing the short sleeved jumpsuit is from the Philly afternoon show. It's the part of the encore filmed near the trumpet player swingin his glass of whiskey around.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: July 8, 2005 05:43

Great Thread!!! Thank you to all of you lucky people!
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you........

Date: July 8, 2005 06:17

"Just keep 'em coming", MJ, just before "Tumbling Dice" NYC 25/7/72 evening show.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: July 8, 2005 11:43

Menace,

You are as fanatical about the Stones 1972 US Tour as George Bush is about war !!!

Good thread though....

Esky

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 9, 2005 01:45

Menace, I'll have to dig out some clippings from that tour and photo copy them for you! My scrapbook is bulging and I have envelopes full of clippings from all tours since 1972. ( Actually my collection goes back to the 60's!) You want to meet a DIE-HARD, well pleased to meet you!!

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: July 9, 2005 14:37

I went to the Tuesday afternoon show at MSG...unfortunately, my younger brother and 2 insane friends of mine went also. We were on the floor about half-way back on Keith's side. I spent most of my time shielding my 13 year old brother from the drugs my 2 friends were taking, and thinking about how my father, a professional boxer who fought for the featherweight title, would kill me if anything happened to my brother.
Then....ah! Two conerts in Philly at the Spectrum, Friday afternoon and then we went out to the front, and sat on the sidewalk in line to get back in for the night show. My older brother and our best friend. Nobody was sitting in the section behind Charlie but the road crew and their wives/girlfriends, so we went to the very first row behind the stage about 8 feet from Charlie, 12 feet from MT. What a blowout! After waiting on the sidewalk in an eerily composed line to get back in for the night concert, once again, nobody was in the section behind the stage, and once again, nobody stopped us, so we went to the first row again. You could hear Keith with his back to the crowd screaming at Charlie, "faster mother-f*cker, faster"...he was then only about 12 feet away. I don't remember which show that our buddy srolled on stage and took the tambourine that Mick & Stevie Wonder were using during Satisfaction, once again nobody stopped him, and the railing was only about a foot high, my buddy just stepped on stage, took it, handed it to my brother, we put it in the car. Of course somewhere about 1974, one of our friends took the tambourine...what are friends for?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home