Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bands liked prior to Stones
Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: July 6, 2005 20:37

First of all, thanks to all of you for the many welcomes. I appreciate it! I'm sure this topic has been hashed to death, but I'm going to do it anyway. Back in the mid-sxties I wasn't into the Stones at all. My favorite bands at that time were the Dave Clark 5 and Paul Revere and the Raiders. In fact the first album I ever bought was PR+R Greatest Hits. The first Stones album I ever got was bought for me by my mother, December's Children. I played it and hated it! My comment at the time was that they sounded like a bunch of hillbillies. For some reason, at some later point in my life, I bought a Stones album, Between the Buttons. I became hooked immediately and haven't looked the other way since. To be honest I really don't get into their earlier albums much at all - the earliest Stones album I own is still December's Children. The first single I bought by the Stones was Jumpin'Jack Flash, which far surpasses the first single I ever bought (Yummy, Yummy, Yummy by the Ohio Express) Over the years I've enjoyed many other bands, especially Foghat, Status Quo, and Slade. The thing about the Stones that intrigues me the most is the fact that they still even exist. Maybe their songs don't have the power that they had during their most creatives periods, but at least they still give us something to look forward to. I am excited about the prospect of owning a new Stones album within the next couple of months, and there may not be any songs equal to Midnight Rambler or Gimme Shelter, but at least I will have new songs to listen to and will enjoy them for what they are and not compare them to what used to be.

Re: Bands liked prior to Stones
Posted by: wawijr ()
Date: July 6, 2005 20:47

I'm 37
My parents saw i like music so they bought me Elvis and some country music
Conway Twitty, Loretta etc.
Then while listening to an oldies station in the car i heard The Beatles
and then it led to The Stones.
by the time i caught up to them the new album was Emotional Rescue

Posted by: mark ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:01

I love it when folks twig some good old memories.

I too had the PR&R 'best of' but after owning most of their other albums. I was into the DC5, Swinging Bluejeans, Beach Boys. My first album though was Mitch Rider with classics like Devil With A Red Dress/Good Golly Miss Moly (now that song kicked for it's day, still have a copy on CD). Although I grew up through all of Elvis's career I never got it. Now don't shoot me butI have a soft spot for what are known as the 'Bobby years'. Once the major 50's rockers were in jail or in illrepute with the public the Bobby Ridel's, Boddy Darren's...amonst other bobbies sang those mellow pop/crooners.

I think I gravitated to surf/grunt music as it was the most guitar fronted at the time. I was also a big R&R fan, CB, LR, JLL. I too gravitated to Staus Quo (with J.Geils) and Slade having seen both bands in their haydays.

In retrospect, with the exception of Mitch Rider most of the music was pretty tinny so it is no wonder I gravitated to the harder sounds of the Stones. As I got older I did not want to ride a little honda, a GTO or hold your hand.... I wanted to spend the night together and I was not getting much satisfaction.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:31

before I discovered the Stones in the summer of '76...i was listening alot to:

stevie wonder
beatles
ELO
Eagles
April Wine

...that's off the top of my head.

Then I discovered Bob and the Stones and my world was blown apart...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:45

I'm 44. My cousin gave me Honky Tonk Women single. I didn;t really listen to it much. I liked Motown and country. I watche dthe Beatles cartoon on TV. I remember hating it. I though the Monkees were funny but didn't like their music. Started listening to the Stones after IORR.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: July 6, 2005 22:32

Elvis without doubt.....

Strange enough while listening to Stones - I got caught by Sweet and Slade, but I think it was a trend in the 70'ies.... and then off course Saturday Night Fever, where we all had to look like John Travolta (to be a hit somehow).... great time anyway....

Date: July 6, 2005 22:46

Country Honk...I grew up in the Italian section of Boston (North End). We all wanted to be Tony Monero. We all ate 2 slices of pizza at once. We all had the hair, waist length leather jackets. Great stuff! smiling smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 6, 2005 23:00

It all started with the Stones, really...
I mean - that was the music that was played at home - and through the Stones I discovered Blues, Jazz, Funk, Punk, Disco,......

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 6, 2005 23:19

I was big into 45s before I bought Let It Bleed and really got into the Stones. Back in that timeframe AM radio was very good, and the 45s were the natural purchase of choice. I still have most of these:

Kind of a Drag - The Buckinghams
Fortunate Son - CCR
Hungry - Paul Revere & the Raiders
Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon - Paul Revere & the Raiders
Judy in Disguise - John Fred & his Playboy Band
Fire - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Dizzy - Tommy Roe
Indian Giver - 1910 Fruitgum Co.
Mony Mony - Tommy James & the Shondells
Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James & the Shondells
Sweet Cherry Wine - Tommy James & the Shondells

Good stuff!

Karl

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: July 7, 2005 16:29

Welcome to the forum, UnionHall. I hope you enjoy things around here!

You hit on a few of my favourites before the Stones as well (or at least in conjunction with the Stones). The Dave Clark 5 always ranked up there for me, as did The Who, The Kinks, The Animals, and of course The Beatles.....most British Invasion stuff. From the Atlantic side, I always enjoyed The Eagles, ELO, CCR and Steve Miller, to name a few.....

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2005 17:20

Cafaro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Country Honk...I grew up in the Italian section of
> Boston (North End). We all wanted to be Tony
> Monero. We all ate 2 slices of pizza at once. We
> all had the hair, waist length leather jackets.
> Great stuff!

I bet you had a bloody medallion too, Cafaro!

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: July 7, 2005 20:14

I've always been a Stones Fan since first hearing them sing early on, but I grew up listening to my Fathers old 78 records of Big Band, and Blues, and Swing, even the old Rockabilly artists, like Hank Williams Sr. Also, Cab Calloway, Muddy Waters, D. Ellington, R. Johnson, J. Johnson, (in my home area); Bessie Smith and Billie Holliday, then Chuck Berry, (in my home area). Also Little Richard, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Valens, Ike and Tina Turner, (in my home area, back then); Patsy Cline, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Righteous Brothers, numerous others, etc. These bands/performers influenced my tastes in music.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 7, 2005 20:22

Hank Williams
Elvis
Johnny Cash
Carl Perkins
Buddy Holly
Jimmy Reed
Bo Diddly
Muddy Waters
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Ricky Nelson (holy shit)

oops...forgot Chuck Berry and Little Walter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-07 20:38 by skippy.

Date: July 7, 2005 20:29

Gazza...no medallion. We had the gold chain with the Italian horn.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 8, 2005 08:14

There are zillion of bands I love very much. Especially nowadays I hardly listen to the Stones at all. Maybe that's just relative though; I used to listen only to Stones. Now I might only listen to one album per day. But the beautiful thing is that I have ALWAYS been a Stonesfanatic. I can not remember ever not having loved the Stones. From the minute I was able to appreciate music at all it has been the Stones. Another reason why they are next to godliness with me. Yes, the Stones and James Ellroy.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: July 8, 2005 09:07

T.Rex
Elton John
The Who

This all changed in the summer of 75 when my mate pulled into the golf club car park,wound down the window & Not Fade Away spilled out in all its glory.From that moment I was hooked,only Bruce comes close.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 8, 2005 09:34

"Bands liked prior to Stones"?

I was born humming "Rocks off" in 1968. Which Keith subsequently nicked and put on Exile.
Then later as they were cutting the umbilical cord, I was noticed to have been singing "19th Nervous Breakdown".

In Mandarin.
And later Klingon.

So I guess I loved them from the beginning.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: July 8, 2005 11:27

The first album I bought was a Slade compilation.
Then I saw a beautiful Stones compilation 2LP and I started rolling.
I will keep on rolling until the final stone is over my head.
R.I.P.

Let it rock!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 8, 2005 11:46

My way to the stones was the following :
KISS => Queen and Iron Maiden => Aerosmith and ACDC => The blues and the Stones

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: July 8, 2005 15:25

None

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 8, 2005 17:19

I discovered the Stones at a very young age, thanks to my cousin who was a few years older than me. It was around 1983 or 84 and I was only about 7 years old and my cousin played Tattoo You and Still Life for me, than the rest is history. Now I am the one making my cousin copies of my favorite bootlegs. But at the same time when I was younger I also liked Def Leppard and then also Guns and Roses when they came out. For some reason I also liked John Cougar Mellancamp, that was when his album Uh-huh was a big hit. But for me the Stones sort of started it all.

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: July 9, 2005 00:47

I was into the punk rock scene in 77..especially the Pistols and Clash and Damned.
Im 43, and back in 77 age 15 it was 'who the hell are the Stones'...but 'Gimme Shelter' soon showed me exactly who they were..went down to the local store and picked up 'Made in the shade' and G'oats head soup',,taped my Dads copy of 'Rolled Gold', and have loved them ever since..still love the Pistols and Damned though.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 9, 2005 07:21

pete and roger

Posted by: jss ()
Date: July 9, 2005 07:50

chelsea...james ellroy is one badass story teller....

oh there was frampton comes alive, steve miller band, pink floyd...then i smartened up after a good hard listen to some girls and the clashes first album...rock and roll was reborn...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 9, 2005 20:21

International acts, in short:
Marmalades-Beatles (as a 4-5 y o), Lobo - Tony Christie - Daniel Boone, Slade-Deep Purple (9-41) -Sweet (9-12) - The Stones (12-13) - Gasolin´ (14-41) - Thin Lizzy (14-41), Pistols-Dolls-Velvet (18-41), U2-Mike Oldfield-Joe Cocker and a heavy hippie-period music-wise [Joplin, Hendrix, Canned Heat & jump to the Doors] (18-41), Judas Priest-Uriah Heep-Iron Maiden-Pink Floyd-Led Zep-Sabbath and a very heavy Deep Purple-period at mid-80´s renunion, Omega & loads of other Hungarian groups. Much reggae too, all sorts.
In my 20´s: Floyd, Purple, Omega & the also Hungarian Hobo Blues Band & P.Mobil.
The Stones flollowed after a very long & influential Doors-period. Returned to the Beatles, mainly White Album & Sgt. Pepper.
Around 30: Nick Cave-TSOOL-more Swedish & Danish music + King Crimson & returnings to Omega, hippie era & to some extent to punk rock mainly Dolls & Patti Smith. Elvis, Elvis, Elvis.
35-41: Since internet & even more since torrent: Everything.
The Stones struck me severely last year. With that came naturally the roots blues and ditto rock'n roll. Always loved, but now searching for the most refined forms as well as successful mixings & fusions. NOT pure jazz.
After a Hungarian/Danish/Swedish period I´m now into reggae "and" Bob Marley; lately I´m heavily hooked up on Little Feat.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 9, 2005 21:41

When I was 6, 7 or 8 I loved the Monkees (got me into music), then top 40 & singles (recall buying 'Get Back' & HTW & others I wish I didnt give away), then wanted to get into 'heavier' music at 10 or so, thus Steppenwolf, Grand Funk, loved CCR, soon idolized Jethro Tull (partly the questioning of organized religion, good when you're 11-12, partly the attitude), it wasnt til late '73 or 74 the RS became my forever favorite band.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 9, 2005 21:46

I forgot the Monkees. I had a Monkees car (not full-size, unfortunately).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home