Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: It's Only Rock N Roll video promo and the wrong backing track
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2015 16:01

GasLightStreet
[
From what is able to be understood the Stones did record a version of it. That's possibly, and more so, probably, the one used in the video.

Well, from the base of that long Keith quote - thanks Rockman! - it looks like thay actually tried to cut it by themselves... If we can trust his memory... Heh, Keith's recollections should have been rather fresh at the time, but still he sounds like mixing things up... strong medicines back then I guess......>grinning smiley<

Yeah, the video soundtrack might be even the 'real' Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: March 4, 2015 16:07

All those different backing tracks in promos films or on TOTP (ca. 1967 - 1981) were used on purpose for the UK market. It was not allowed at that time to mime to a playback (this rule was fought out by the musicians' union), so The Stones were fooling the union's watchmen by miming to a different backing track or singing live vocals on the regular or a different backing track.

N

Date: March 4, 2015 16:13

NeddieFlanders
All those different backing tracks in promos films or on TOTP (ca. 1967 - 1981) were used on purpose for the UK market. It was not allowed at that time to mime to a playback (this rule was fought out by the musicians' union), so The Stones were fooling the union's watchmen by miming to a different backing track or singing live vocals on the regular or a different backing track.

N

What about Hey Negrita, Crazy Mama and Hot Stuff?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 4, 2015 16:45

That's the second place I've read Mick Taylor overdubbed guitar, but I don't hear it. I've also read he played on Luxury, but I don't hear it there either.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2015 16:46

Doxa
GasLightStreet
[
From what is able to be understood the Stones did record a version of it. That's possibly, and more so, probably, the one used in the video.

Well, from the base of that long Keith quote - thanks Rockman! - it looks like thay actually tried to cut it by themselves... If we can trust his memory... Heh, Keith's recollections should have been rather fresh at the time, but still he sounds like mixing things up... strong medicines back then I guess......>grinning smiley<

Yeah, the video soundtrack might be even the 'real' Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

I would think in this case, since Keith flat out admitted they couldn't get it, we can trust Keith's memory. The video version is awful so it makes sense ha ha. That other stuff, him playing the wah and so on, was that taken out of context with a question about the album IORR? Because it seems to be the description of Fingerprint File perhaps.

Date: March 4, 2015 16:48

Respectable is the LP version in the video with a 'live' vocal.

Date: March 4, 2015 16:50

DandelionPowderman
NeddieFlanders

N

LP versions, 100% horrible inaccurate miming! Mick doesn't even bother to 'play' guitar in the Crazy Mama video!

Date: March 4, 2015 16:51

Rocky Dijon
"Fool to Cry" has a different lead vocal, but yes, the other BLACK AND BLUE promos are just miming. "Respectable" has the alternate lyric, "We're talking man to man with the President" instead of "We're talking heroin with the President." The rest of the lead vocal is either a different mix from the album track or a different take.

Those vocals are live to the video recording.

Date: March 4, 2015 16:54

GasLightStreet

Not quite. There is a mix between the old vocal and a "live" one.

It sounds like there is something different in places with the backing track as well.

So, what NeddieFlanders is saying about the union is probably true. But I wonder why they didn't bother to do anything with the BAB-videos, save Fool To Cry, which had live vocals over the studio backing track...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 4, 2015 17:06

As I said treaclefingers' Stones Vinyl Collections thread before, this version has unique sounds because of different cutting method.
Taylor's guitar on the left channel is quite loud and up-front.smiling smiley

Date: March 4, 2015 17:16

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Not quite. There is a mix between the old vocal and a "live" one.

It sounds like there is something different in places with the backing track as well.

Ahhh - the LP harmony to his live vocal is there! Band wise it's the LP version, just like with Miss You (horrible live vox, studio backing vox, UK single version - no sax).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2015 17:31

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
On Start Me Up, I think Mick is miming to a different backing track.

It's the LP version.

That was pure, unadulterated sarcasm on my part....as in Mick must be miming to a different track, maybe even different song.

Date: March 4, 2015 17:36

Toru A

As I said treaclefingers' Stones Vinyl Collections thread before, this version has unique sounds because of different cutting method.
Taylor's guitar on the left channel is quite loud and up-front.smiling smiley

Taylor's guitar? You mean on the album as a whole, because he didn't play on IORR?

Date: March 4, 2015 17:39

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
On Start Me Up, I think Mick is miming to a different backing track.

It's the LP version.

That was pure, unadulterated sarcasm on my part....as in Mick must be miming to a different track, maybe even different song.

Oh. DAMMIT! Well, ha ha, one never knows. But I see, spot on, right.

Date: March 4, 2015 17:41

Yep, you're right, but the mix of that backing track is somewhat... crappy and different. That's what fooled me a bit. Yeah, it's the studio backing track.

I bet it was nice to get a re-visit on your favourite song, LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: March 4, 2015 17:42

DandelionPowderman
NeddieFlanders

N

They weren't intended as singles in the UK, so no TOTP-appearance was imminent.

N

Date: March 4, 2015 17:55

DandelionPowderman
Yep, you're right, but the mix of that backing track is somewhat... crappy and different. That's what fooled me a bit. Yeah, it's the studio backing track.

I bet it was nice to get a re-visit on your favourite song, LOL! grinning smiley

PISS OFF!!!!!!!

Date: March 4, 2015 17:57

NeddieFlanders
DandelionPowderman
NeddieFlanders

N

They weren't intended as singles in the UK, so no TOTP-appearance was imminent.

N

Ah, ok, thanks!

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: March 4, 2015 18:15

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

PISS OFF!!!!!!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 4, 2015 19:26

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
I agree with sssoul, sounds great. Such a great tune with awesome vocals and lyrics, they couldn't miss with any version.

I just wonder why Ronnie was so keen to give away what was arguably the best song he has ever (co)written. confused smiley Credits are the usual Jagger/Richards. Did Keith really bring something great or new to the tune just by replacing the electric guitars? Was Ronnie so infatuated with Keith and the Stones that he was compelled to gift them with the tune after Keith decided he wanted it for the Stones? He said it was his idea to begin with...is Ronnie just that nice of a guy?

VideoJames since you've heard that demo, what is your take on it. Much thanks.

peace

Because the song he got in return, I Can Feel The Fire, was better?

What he didn't consider was that he could have gotten the best Stones song ever, but it would still bomb in the charts, compared to what the Stones would put out smiling smiley

Still think it was a lousy trade. I like I Can Feel the Fire but always thought it wasn't ever recorded/played properly, something always a bit off on all the versions I've heard. Could have been a great straight reggae tune or R&B tune or something but never quite committed enough or possibly worked out enough to truly shine. Either Bob Marley or the Stones could have made this one work like Ronnie never did...or maybe Jimmy Miller's touch would have done it. peace

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:18

Well, soon thereafter he got a job in the Stones, so one could argue that his horse trading paid off.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 5, 2015 01:16

TeddyB1018
Well, soon thereafter he got a job in the Stones, so one could argue that his horse trading paid off.

Indeed. But they may have thought he had a few more IORR's in him. grinning smiley peace

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 5, 2015 02:46

mrpaulincanada
So does anyone know the story of this video and how the early audio version of IORR was used for the video?

I mean, this is a group of guys who will play a song 40 or 50 times in the studio to get the right feel and then they produce a video with the "wrong" backing track?

Wouldn't MJ or KR freak out as soon as the backing track starts playing during the rehearsal and say "Oy....that's the wrong bleeding track..we're not doing a bloody thing til you get the right one..."

On a side note...does anyone have a good flac or mp3 of the backing track used in the video? I have one that fades and is not great...I'd love a full length copy of this track.

I read a documentary article of video promo on Melody Maker in 1974.
I remember they were talking about the ground fault electrical shock through their guitar shield in the bubble.smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home