Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: One Hit to the Body
Date: March 6, 2015 11:30

Which tracks did Steve Jordan play on?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2015 16:32

Too Rude.

Date: March 6, 2015 16:35

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
That's funny. I think the guitars sound better on SW than on DW! Not as processed. SW doesn't have the tight not enough bottom sound that DW has. SW is a bit more rounded. SW is not as bright.

It still doesn't sound very good... just a bit softer than DW. At least the SW songs are better, overall.

OK, let's check out the sound on a couple of rockers from SW and DW a bit closer. SW isn't THAT bad, but I prefer the little extra something in Keith's sound on DW. I dunno how to describe it, grit won't be the right word - "clean punch"?

Both the SW tracks here are Mick with open G, whilst Keith is playing standard on the two DW tracks.

Keith's in open G on One Hit from what I've always been able to tell.

Ah, I get what you mean though. DW's guitar sound has more bite to it. It's raunchy. Certainly raunchier than anything on SW.

Hold On To You Hat is so compressed and... smooth sounding. It has no bite - which is what Dirty Work and even One Hit have.

Mick's intro on Sad Sad Sad still sounds awesome though. Perhaps, ha ha, that's the high point of sound for SW!

Date: March 6, 2015 16:42

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
That's funny. I think the guitars sound better on SW than on DW! Not as processed. SW doesn't have the tight not enough bottom sound that DW has. SW is a bit more rounded. SW is not as bright.

It still doesn't sound very good... just a bit softer than DW. At least the SW songs are better, overall.

OK, let's check out the sound on a couple of rockers from SW and DW a bit closer. SW isn't THAT bad, but I prefer the little extra something in Keith's sound on DW. I dunno how to describe it, grit won't be the right word - "clean punch"?

Both the SW tracks here are Mick with open G, whilst Keith is playing standard on the two DW tracks.

Keith's in open G on One Hit from what I've always been able to tell.

Ah, I get what you mean though. DW's guitar sound has more bite to it. It's raunchy. Certainly raunchier than anything on SW.

Hold On To You Hat is so compressed and... smooth sounding. It has no bite - which is what Dirty Work and even One Hit have.

Mick's intro on Sad Sad Sad still sounds awesome though. Perhaps, ha ha, that's the high point of sound for SW!

The clean guitar sound on tracks like Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Hearts For Sale (no, not Mick's guitar!) and Slipping Away sound good, though.

It's the archtypical Stones sound that's gone on SW.

PS: If Keith plays open G on One Hit, it's one of the other 12 guitar tracks, not the main one winking smiley

Date: March 6, 2015 16:48

flacnvinyl
If Dirty Work didn't have such a crummy cover and terrible drum sound, the album would have been better received. Personally I can't get past the terrible snare sound. The U2, "long-reverb-decay", snare sound ruins One Hit.

Had It With You is criminally underrated. I only wish the entire album was mixed dry like that. One Hit To The Body always came off like a cool track that got overproduced. If it was a more raw version like It Wont Take Long off A Bigger Bang, I think I'd dig it even more.

The truth is that Dirty Work was a forced record. The company needed a record. The Stones produced a record. Now we all have the record. The promo says it all...

Why was Mick being so... 'OK you dirty mothers, get out and sell yer butt. Get down and dew the Dirrrrty Work' - what's with his voice? How does that spray stuff equivalate with 'getting dirty'?!!???!!!???

HA! "And it's their best music of the decade". That's such a huge steaming pile of bullshit! That promo video, just like the album, is complete GARBAGE! Columbia put, eh, well, I guess 'effort' is one word, into making the LP visible and, I guess, a 'must buy' album by... making it horribly colorful, with a shitty cartoon sticker on the shitty album cover...

They really shined that turd hard.

"The sonic coloration of this album". Wow.

Date: March 6, 2015 17:04

The video is nothing but ridiculous. Helplessly comical.

Nice to know that on the day it's 29 years since the HS-video debuted on MTV grinning smiley

Date: March 10, 2015 17:18

It blows my mind that Mick, Keith and Ronnie ham it up with such ridiculous posing and antics in that horrible promotional video. It's just incredible.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home