Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: What to do with all that rare old Stones stuff?
Date: March 7, 2015 05:31

eBay, if you're looking to make some money...

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 09:49

Great topic, really, BV.
In Italy, lived one of the greatest RS collectors ever: mr. Giorgio S.
No less than 20.000 records and thounsands of books, posters, memoriabilia and anything you could dream of. He built his collection by travelling - he didn't speak English! - and without having an eBay account. Simply, he spent a lot of money to buy the best. When I visited him, I could look at the 12-colour French 'Miss You' set, the acetates of the UK promotional album and some obscure items. We travelled the World together to see the RS and he's always been ready to share his immense knowledge in RS collecting. He was a single and lost his parents before his 50.
Nowadays, his entire collection lies in a dump basement in his unsold villa and it's 12 years this year that he passed away. Nobody knows if his original poster of Altmont is still there, nobody knows if his 10" acetate of 'Come On' is well.
Some fellow Italian collectors and I have tried to get in touch with someone who can tell us how to save that treasure, but we never got replies.
What to to with our collections?
First, reduce to the bone. It's not painless, but it's a good start and lets other Collectors enrich their own collections.
Second, let's concentrate our collections. My daughters love to see the RS on stage, but listen to them via MP3 and they won't regret if I donate my records to a collecting friend.
How to choose such a collector? Today, I'm focused on GB and US prints only and my GB/US records will go to a collector who shares the same interests.
This way, the records I love most will be preserved and will be somehow usefull to archivists.
One last point: IORR is the right place to set a new trend in record collecting.
Would you consider creating a section of the site to help collectors arrange swaps of part(s) of their collections?
For instance: all my French vs all your Dutch records? My books vs your bubblegums?
I think that this could help, in my opinion, no need to say.
Bye & thanks, Luca

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 7, 2015 10:56

To make stuff accessible to future generations, you have to digitize it. Perhaps a grassroots online Stones digital archive could be a virtual project for enthusiasts one day. I suppose a small foundation could be set up to maintain the web hosting in perpetuity.

It would be great to be able to browse though the old fan magazines and look at rare promotional items that people have.

Meanwhile, I would think something like YouTube will be around for the foreseeable future, and the media files will be copied over to new formats as technology evolves.

Like many, at this point most of my media is on my computer. I bought some external hard drives and copied everything and then gave the hard drives to a friend for safekeeping. Having two copies in two separate physical locations is a relatively cheap way to protect yourself.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 7, 2015 15:57

1963luca0
Great topic, really, BV.
In Italy, lived one of the greatest RS collectors ever: mr. Giorgio S.
No less than 20.000 records and thounsands of books, posters, memoriabilia and anything you could dream of. He built his collection by travelling - he didn't speak English! - and without having an eBay account. Simply, he spent a lot of money to buy the best. When I visited him, I could look at the 12-colour French 'Miss You' set, the acetates of the UK promotional album and some obscure items. We travelled the World together to see the RS and he's always been ready to share his immense knowledge in RS collecting. He was a single and lost his parents before his 50.
Nowadays, his entire collection lies in a dump basement in his unsold villa and it's 12 years this year that he passed away. Nobody knows if his original poster of Altmont is still there, nobody knows if his 10" acetate of 'Come On' is well.
Some fellow Italian collectors and I have tried to get in touch with someone who can tell us how to save that treasure, but we never got replies.
What to to with our collections?
First, reduce to the bone. It's not painless, but it's a good start and lets other Collectors enrich their own collections.
Second, let's concentrate our collections. My daughters love to see the RS on stage, but listen to them via MP3 and they won't regret if I donate my records to a collecting friend.
How to choose such a collector? Today, I'm focused on GB and US prints only and my GB/US records will go to a collector who shares the same interests.
This way, the records I love most will be preserved and will be somehow usefull to archivists.
One last point: IORR is the right place to set a new trend in record collecting.
Would you consider creating a section of the site to help collectors arrange swaps of part(s) of their collections?

For instance: all my French vs all your Dutch records? My books vs your bubblegums?
I think that this could help, in my opinion, no need to say.
Bye & thanks, Luca

It is an excellent idea Luca.

Posted by: WetWillie ()
Date: March 7, 2015 21:27

Isn't there a video interview from the B2B tour on which Mick is asked how the history books will treat the Stones in 100 years and he replies something like "Their song was Satisfaction?"

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 8, 2015 09:52

1963luca0

Bye & thanks, Luca

A timely reminder to us ALL that we need to make Wills and keep them up to date.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 8, 2015 09:57

MileHigh
To make stuff accessible to future generations, you have to digitize it.

Not necessarily--vinyl might not be indestructible, but it'll last long enough for at least one more generation.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 9, 2015 17:21

You can always find someone to take it. Look at how many people are clamoring in this thread - sight unseen - for these items.

If anyone in the NJ area wants to get rid of their stones stuff, please let me know. I promise not to sell it.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home