Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What to do with all that rare old Stones stuff?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 28, 2015 16:13

Stoneage
Ecclesiastes 3:1: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 3:2: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3:5: A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing: 3:6: A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away.

I've heard of Eccles cakes but never Ecclesiastes..........good lyrics though....winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 16:14 by EddieByword.

Date: February 28, 2015 16:30

A real good question. I think about this too. I would urge BV, and other big collectors to not trash these collections though.
There are a few "Stones Museums". There are people who will appreciate.

With me it is the boots that I am not sure about. They are probably the easiest to physically get rid of, but still 'have'. By just turning them into hi-grade files. I'd hate to lose artwork though.
The books I keep, and I do look at them. Magazines etc. I pretty much have already got rid of.
I did not understand one part of BV's post. About 'missing my music'. Would it not be easy to turn them into files? especially since there is no more CD Player?
I can only imagine how huge BV's collection is. Just from the IORR magazine alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 16:34 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 28, 2015 16:40

rtr
I also have shelves of Stones material, mainly music, video, "boots" and books. I wish I had thought more like a collector. I met MJ in a Borders in Chicago the day after the opening night of the Bridges tour, and met McCartney in '76 and watched two days of rehearsals in Ft. Worth at Will Rogers Coliseum. All I have is the memory of handshakes and bumming a cigarette from McCartney, in exchange for a sip from my Coke. My daughter who has 1,000's of pictures on her phone can't believe that I have no pictures to show of my encounters!

It's the memories...your memories...that count. No-one can throw them away. This is a bit of a downer thread eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 16:45 by exhpart.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2015 16:55

I do envy those who have the time to organize their collections. For me, being a Stones fan has always been busy days. I do never have any spare time. In 1995 I was in line for the Brixton Academy club show. On my way in for the front of the stage I picked up three black Brixton Academy T-shirts. Souvenirs. I lost may be a minute on my way to the stage front but I was still pretty much up there in the front. I used to wear one of those three Brixton T-shirts that summer because I loved the show so much. Those other shirts have been in one of my basement boxes with all those other special shirts. A few hundred shirts never used. Souvenirs. I never wear them.

The only shirt I wear these days is the River Plate 06 Buenos Aires white and blue striped Stones tongue T-shirt, because it is nice when it is warm, and because it is unique. I will keep wearing it when it is warm, and it will be with me both to the summer NA tour and the fall SA tour. For me it is like being dressed up wearing that shirt. I love it.

I am not planning my exit. No way. I am just worried about how to get easy access to my music and my videos. I used to have a beta player, then a VHS player, vinyl, CD, DVD, minidisc, reel-to-reel acetates, casettes, so many formats. I have all those shows I recorded for my own memories, but I don't have all those devices to replay my sources on anymore. All those Swinging Pig, TMQ, TAKRL and so on, those guys were friends. I used to record every show. I have every single BA show complete on tape. May be one day when the Stones do not tour anymore, and there are no more mountains to climb, I can take a break and transfer some of the stuff into digital. Don't know when that will happen. Meanwhile, I am on tour, like I have been for ages now.

Well I am not too worried. I can play my CD's on my DVD player they say. I never watched that much video anyway. And as long as the Stones tour, I don't need to play their records that often. You don't need to watch pictures of flowers when the flowers are still out there in Mother Nature.

Bjornulf

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: February 28, 2015 17:18

[www.channel24.co.za]

Hello Bjornulf, i think that you must have things, mick is looking for!!!!
Think about it, give it a try, and let us know.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 28, 2015 19:22

Memories are the only paradise you can't be expelled, Jean Paul, a German Poet of the 19th Century said. And Marcel Proust bit into a Madeleine and his immediate memories filled 4,000 pages.
There's nothing wrong with that. What else are we here for?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 28, 2015 20:01

a few hundred Stones t shirts? You must have a whole closet just for those shirts!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 28, 2015 20:11

I think part of the point of the people here that don't know what to do with all that stuff has to do not so much with those people being as old as Methusalem or as old as me, it's more to do with the internet and new technology.
Before the internet all that stuff was just not available. It was hard to get. Remember your first bootleg. I remember seeing Video Rewind as a kid in the 80s at the public library. We didn't have a video recorder at home.
It was all very mysterious, and the more you had of all that stuff the better basically.
Now that stuff no longer serves the purpose it did before.
Vinyl is nice to have, but we have to jap editions shm cds. And they just sound better. So what to do with the vinyl
It used to be real hard to get to hear Run Rudolph Run. There wasn't even ebay to buy it. Now you can just download it.
So all those people who have "run rudolph run" or the cd single of "she was hot" don't know what to do with it anymore. They are just things now, they no longer serve a purpose.
The only thing they still are is collectibles. But there is certain existential emptiness to mere collecting for collectings' sake.
Anyway, I'd agree with what somebody before me said. If you have the money to do so, pay somebody to digitize it, into for instance one nice bluray disc.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: February 28, 2015 20:12

Since I have a new job this year, I wear a Stones -shirt every day. My collegues love it, they were just laying in the closet, happy to use them !

You can't take them in your coffin, either, can you ?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 28, 2015 20:52

rollingrichard
Since I have a new job this year, I wear a Stones -shirt every day. My collegues love it, they were just laying in the closet, happy to use them !

You can't take them in your coffin, either, can you ?

I assume your not a CEO of a major corporation!smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 1, 2015 00:17

Whale

Anyway, I'd agree with what somebody before me said. If you have the money to do so, pay somebody to digitize it, into for instance one nice bluray disc.

I agree this saves space, and you can use it in the car, but it doesn't sound as good as the vinyl versions. (If that's an issue, of course. I still like to buy everything I can on vinyl and then rip to mp3, but not everybody feels that way.)

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 1, 2015 01:05

Naturalust
Optical disks seem like the best long term storage media these days but like everything in that technology field, things are changing rapidly. I'd pay someone to transfer all your music, photos and other stuff that can be digitized to a Blu-Ray type optical disk so you can have easy access for years to come. I must admit your post kind of scares me concerning the fate of the IORR site and data.

Optical discs may indeed seem like the best long term storage media these days, but don't bank on it long term!

Archivists regularly complain about the rate of change of preferred digital (etc) media, with a lack of ability and/or time to convert the files. I've converted a lot, but not all, of my vinyl/VHS to CD/DVD (respectively). It's never quick and it's always a labour of love.

How will that precious Optical disc be read in 2162 for the 100th anniversary celebrations?

Multiple copies help, of course, as CD-R (etc) have been known to fail. Hard discs fail. External (dedicated, not 'cloud') storage companies fail from time to time.

Paper seems a good bet, but many of my books are falling to pieces through age. The quality of the paper used in the earlier (and more precious) Stones' books is nowhere near archival.

And this does not only affect fans collecting stuff about their favourite band, but historians and archivists of all types.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 1, 2015 02:17

I don't have that much, having come back to the Stones late, but I'm not much of a collector anyhow. I buy things and am happy to give them away if I think someone else will enjoy it more than me. There's too much crap in my house as it is...but I do love my Stones shirts. smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2015 02:25

latebloomer
I don't have that much, having come back to the Stones late, but I'm not much of a collector anyhow. I buy things and am happy to give them away if I think someone else will enjoy it more than me. There's too much crap in my house as it is...but I do love my Stones shirts. smiling smiley

Why not give the crap away then instead, and stop giving away the Stones stuff?

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 1, 2015 03:12

Whale

It used to be real hard to get to hear Run Rudolph Run. There wasn't even ebay to buy it. Now you can just download it.
So all those people who have "run rudolph run" or the cd single of "she was hot" don't know what to do with it anymore. They are just things now, they no longer serve a purpose.
The only thing they still are is collectibles. But there is certain existential emptiness to mere collecting for collectings' sake.

Some of the vinyl releases were lovely objects in themselves, though. I've never seen a CD cover or download as impressive as the original LP release of Sticky Fingers.

Date: March 1, 2015 04:34

treaclefingers
latebloomer

Trust me Treacles, no one would want it.

Date: March 1, 2015 16:52

blivet
Whale

Some of the vinyl releases were lovely objects in themselves, though. I've never seen a CD cover or download as impressive as the original LP release of Sticky Fingers.

take a look in the mirror...maybe you're just existentially empty?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2015 22:01

I never gave away or sell one single item, once it was in my collection, except for one time in the 70's I sold my original copy of the rare bootleg "Lacerated", because the same stuff was on A Summer Romance. Really strange how such a minor thing can bug me 40 years on. That is why I never sell or part with anything, and as long as it is not owned, it is not lost. Still I miss that great Lacerated bootleg. I can't understand why I sold it, but I must have been broke, very broke. So I guess the stuff will stay, but I just need to dig it out and listen to it.

[theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpress.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 2, 2015 00:05

The sad part about aging is that you start to realize every event in your life was prescious and worth documenting. However, it is heartbreaking when you have no kept memorbilia. I thank the world for providing Youtube & this forum to relive these times. At least I can say I was always there and will also continue.

We're going to the concert!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 00:06 by Chris Fountain.

Date: March 2, 2015 00:46

Chris Fountain
The sad part about aging is that you start to realize every event in your life was prescious and worth documenting. However, it is heartbreaking when you have no kept memorbilia. I thank the world for providing Youtube & this forum to relive these times. At least I can say I was always there and will also continue.

We're going to the concert!

I guess I'm the opposite, the older I get the less I care about things, documents, whatever you want to call them...but, yes, we are going to the concert. smiling smiley

Date: March 2, 2015 02:00

latebloomer
treaclefingers
latebloomer

Why not give throw the crap away then instead, and stop giving away the Stones stuff?

Date: March 2, 2015 02:03

treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers
latebloomer

Why not give throw the crap away then instead, and stop giving away the Stones stuff?

Okay, how about a compromise. I'll keep all the Stones stuff and send you all the crap.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 2, 2015 13:30

bv
I do envy those who have the time to organize their collections. For me, being a Stones fan has always been busy days. I do never have any spare time. In 1995 I was in line for the Brixton Academy club show. On my way in for the front of the stage I picked up three black Brixton Academy T-shirts. Souvenirs. I lost may be a minute on my way to the stage front but I was still pretty much up there in the front. I used to wear one of those three Brixton T-shirts that summer because I loved the show so much. Those other shirts have been in one of my basement boxes with all those other special shirts. A few hundred shirts never used. Souvenirs. I never wear them.

The only shirt I wear these days is the River Plate 06 Buenos Aires white and blue striped Stones tongue T-shirt, because it is nice when it is warm, and because it is unique. I will keep wearing it when it is warm, and it will be with me both to the summer NA tour and the fall SA tour. For me it is like being dressed up wearing that shirt. I love it.

I am not planning my exit. No way. I am just worried about how to get easy access to my music and my videos. I used to have a beta player, then a VHS player, vinyl, CD, DVD, minidisc, reel-to-reel acetates, casettes, so many formats. I have all those shows I recorded for my own memories, but I don't have all those devices to replay my sources on anymore. All those Swinging Pig, TMQ, TAKRL and so on, those guys were friends. I used to record every show. I have every single BA show complete on tape. May be one day when the Stones do not tour anymore, and there are no more mountains to climb, I can take a break and transfer some of the stuff into digital. Don't know when that will happen. Meanwhile, I am on tour, like I have been for ages now.

Well I am not too worried. I can play my CD's on my DVD player they say. I never watched that much video anyway. And as long as the Stones tour, I don't need to play their records that often. You don't need to watch pictures of flowers when the flowers are still out there in Mother Nature.

It's really addictive once you start, a very nice way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon...........esp. when you can also have the satisfaction of posting your efforts on Hotstuff..........cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 13:31 by EddieByword.

Date: March 3, 2015 17:10

bv
Or should I just order a big container and move on to Himalaya after these tours? Am I the only one thinking this way?

You're not alone. We all get old. smileys with beer

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:35

bv

Hi BV, it's great to know you have recorded every BA show, hope you will have the time someday to share them with us!

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:06

Im in S Fl also, have a ton of stuff since 1964, will be moving on soon, lets discuss
RB

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:50

RockinBud
Im in S Fl also, have a ton of stuff since 1964, will be moving on soon, lets discuss
RB

RB - email me @ stonesstein@comcast.net, as I am in South Georgia. We can discuss.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: March 6, 2015 22:38

Just had a thought...as the weather's pretty nice right now, how about a yard sale?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:21

treaclefingers
Just had a thought...as the weather's pretty nice right now, how about a yard sale?

Sheer genius!

I'll bring the do-nutz!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:01

what a great thread, people complaining of having too much stones stuff.

just send it to me and i will give it all a good home.

when my time comes i hope one of my 2 kids will take my stones collection, if not i will instruct them to pass on the stuff to a needy cause, and someone who will enjoy. totally against binning such valuable items when future fans could enjoy.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2163
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home