Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - The Eagles
Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: February 19, 2015 05:20

Saw them in Perth last night and they were very impressive. They had a 10 minute break after the first hour then came back on and played for another 2!

Re: OT - The Eagles
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 19, 2015 05:25

Curious who was playing in the band this tour. Is Don Felder with them? Joe Walsh? thx.

peace

Date: February 19, 2015 05:38

Yep Don and Joe, those boys can play..

Date: February 19, 2015 06:19

Paulhanrahan

nope don felder is certainly not in the eagles right now or the last 10 years

Date: February 19, 2015 06:32

keefriffhard4life
Paulhanrahan

nope don felder is certainly not in the eagles right now or the last 10 years

Considering he is playing tomorrow night in Florida and the Eagles have taken most all the pictures of him off their web site I had a feeling he wasn't playing with them.

So I'm still curious if they have another guitarist besides Joe Walsh and Glenn Frey. confused smiley peace

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 19, 2015 06:53

Steuart Smith took Felder's place back in 2001.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: February 19, 2015 07:05

Apologies yes you're right it was Smith sorry for that

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 19, 2015 07:09

AND... they have brought back Bernie Leadon, original Guitarist... he left the band during the "One of these Nights sessions" (I believe) to be replaced by Joe Walsh... he playes, from what I understand the whole first set... too bad the Stones wouldn't do that with their former lead guitarist...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 19, 2015 08:56

...and most important of all: can they still make a decent guitarsolo in Hotel California? smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 19, 2015 10:11

Come On
...and most important of all: can they still make a decent guitarsolo in Hotel California? smoking smiley

I imagine they are playing it exactly the same as they were when Felder and Walsh first wrote it. Part of the problem with The Eagles, imo. Too polished, perfect and predictable in their performances. peace

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 19, 2015 11:36

Been watching the "History of the Eagles" documentary last few days; well made, the Eagles do have some great songs but also quite a lot of so-so filler.

Frey comes off as a dick in the documentary, and Henley quite smug in the wise-old-man "Listen to what I have to say in a deep voice, full of gravitas and philosophical meaning".

Felder did have many issues with the band, money being a prime motivator for Frey and Henley to fire him after the reunion. Frey and Henley were getting much more of the share, Felder couldn't handle that fact.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: February 19, 2015 13:59

So was Bernie part of the first set? I'm going next week and only really like the stuff he plays on!

Date: February 19, 2015 15:06

Bernie featured throughout...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 19, 2015 16:06

IrelandCalling4
Been watching the "History of the Eagles" documentary last few days; well made, the Eagles do have some great songs but also quite a lot of so-so filler.

Frey comes off as a dick in the documentary, and Henley quite smug in the wise-old-man "Listen to what I have to say in a deep voice, full of gravitas and philosophical meaning".

Felder did have many issues with the band, money being a prime motivator for Frey and Henley to fire him after the reunion. Frey and Henley were getting much more of the share, Felder couldn't handle that fact.

Yes, saw them a couple times with Felder; watching that I decided I didn't need to see them anymore.

Read Felders book "Heaven and Hell". Interesting. Obviously a bit one-sided but interesting.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 20, 2015 00:02

Naturalust
Come On

I imagine they are playing it exactly the same as they were when Felder and Walsh first wrote it. Part of the problem with The Eagles, imo. Too polished, perfect and predictable in their performances. peace

Felder's playing is what made songs like Hotel California great. The new "fake-Felder" ruins it.

Date: February 20, 2015 01:06

No one in the audience I was in would agree with you

Date: February 20, 2015 01:11

EVERYONE in this audience would disagree...with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 01:12 by shadooby.

Date: February 20, 2015 01:16

One more for old times sake...

Date: February 20, 2015 01:19

Paulhanrahan
No one in the audience I was in would agree with you

No offense to you but in all fairness, half if not most in that audience you were in either have no idea who Don Felder is or were even born before he was fired by Henley/Frey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 01:21 by shadooby.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 20, 2015 01:44

I'm just a casual Eagles fan so take my comment as basically uninformed. When I
Saw the Eagles a couple years ago, I basically left the show thinking they take
Themselves to seriously. Not so sure it would be a fun band to be in...

I think Joe Walsh is great and hope he will eventually get to a James Gang tour.
I believe they played a couple shows years ago.

Date: February 20, 2015 04:06

swimtothemoon
I'm just a casual Eagles fan so take my comment as basically uninformed. When I
Saw the Eagles a couple years ago, I basically left the show thinking they take
Themselves to seriously. Not so sure it would be a fun band to be in...

I think Joe Walsh is great and hope he will eventually get to a James Gang tour.
I believe they played a couple shows years ago.

James Gang would be great but Joe has a pretty well established solo career, outside of The Eagles. His Analog man effort and shows were classic Joe.

I'm guessing he is doing the Eagles thing for the money, putting up with Henley's strange and egocentric ways can't be all that much fun for anyone. peace

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 20, 2015 05:25

Yes. I saw Joe about a year and a half ago on the Analog man tour. I prefer him on his own. Heard other fans complain about his voice but maybe it's an acquired taste since I like it. Agree Joe must be in for the money. Henley would be no
Fun. He has stated he still expects to get the James Gang back together but we
Will see.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 15:54

Naturalust
Come On

The band (or maybe just certain members) is committed to playing every song note-for-note perfect with no improvisation night to night.

I don't know if the entire band buys into it or if it's Henley's call, or Henley/Frey.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:32

Boring

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:52

swimtothemoon
When I Saw the Eagles a couple years ago, I basically left the show thinking they take Themselves too seriously.

The Eagles take themselves too seriously? Imagine that!

I'm with Jeffrey Lebowski: I HATE THE EAGLES, MAN!

Having grown up in Southern California in the 1970s, I could not escape them. They were everywhere with their nasal platitudes and tinhorn philosophizing.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 18:53 by Pietro.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 20, 2015 20:45

I am of the same opinion as Mister Lebowski, for the most part, re the Eagles. They have a few songs I still can listen to. I used to like the band in the early years, but, then they became massively successful and so full of themselves. This is when they started making music boring as hell. The kicker for me was "Hotel California". I absolutely fluckin' hate this song. It summarizes for me all that's bad/wrong about the Eagles. You play "Hotel California" and I'm gonna be looking for a 2x4 to knock some sense into ya head. I also hold the Lebowski opinion re "Start Me Up" by the Stones, but this thought's for another thread. Another performer from the Eagles/Southern Cali soft rock genre I came to hate is Jackson Browne. He is one of the few performers whose concert I walked out on because the show was so damned boring, every song sounding alike.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 20, 2015 21:06

No Don Felder

[musicfeeds.com.au]

Due to popular demand, a second Melbourne show and a second Brisbane show have been added to the Eagles‘ 2015 Australian tour, and tickets are on sale now!

Announced last month, the Eagles are set to bring their ‘History of the Eagles’ World Tour to Australia and New Zealand in February and March next year.

The group, famous for songs like Hotel California and Desperado, will perform music from throughout their career, including tracks they’ve never previously performed live. Band members Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmit are promising to deliver three-hours of classic Eagles hits, drawing on their seven studio albums.

Btw, quite impressive ticket sales for Eagles. They are doing two conserts in Auckland, one is sold out, and Stones just did one....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 21:12 by mtaylor.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 20, 2015 22:05

Re impressive tix sales and added show(s): The Aussies must be desperate for entertainment. (And, I mean no offense to Austrailia and its people.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2015 22:58

they haven't been the same since Christine McVie left.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 20, 2015 23:01

treaclefingers
they haven't been the same since Christine McVie left.

Didn't know she had been with Eagles

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home