Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Are we on a Never Ending Tour?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2015 02:11

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Who's "we", anyway?
Me and a few other guys...don't worry you don't need to involve your self.

So what about me?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 14, 2015 02:38

Well if they are going to tour the US this summer I suppose that you have to have an announcement within the next two or three months. If nothing happens then I don't expect a US tour to take place.

When was the last time they had a 100% sold out tour? I am going to guess 1981-82. Perhaps 1989-90 but I doubt it. After that I am assuming that they haven't had a 100% sold out tour. The point being that the Rolling Stones are not relevant to today's youth. Not selling out entire tours is a chink in the Stones armor telling us that youth culture and society in general has moved on. I don't know where youth culture went because I am in my fifties and can't relate.

If nothing happens this year then chances are it's all over. Nor do I think that they are seriously "worrying" about releasing a new album.

I think the last time the Rolling Stones had a "fresh" feel was 1997-98 for Bridges to Babylon. That's almost 20 years ago now!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 17, 2015 00:03

Mr.D
Comparing their three years of limited touring to Dylan's near thirty year Never Ending Tour is a joke on so many levels!smiling smiley Dylan's low ticket prices are what enables him to play so many shows every year, also his choice of venues is much more than the Stones, he can play a lot of theater, small venue shows that the Stones can't/won't. The Stones could end this year, there's no guarentee they are going to South America later this year with their depressed economies down there.

Well, this thread doesn´t compare the Stones-situation with Dylan or anybody else.
It just put out the thought that we are in a beginning of a STONES-Never Ending Tour. And -by the way - in 1991 the Dylan NET was also just three years old.
But - again - we talk Stones here.

Date: February 17, 2015 00:04

dmay
Re Mr. D's comment that the Stones can't or won't do smaller venues, the answer most likely is they won't because they won't make enough money doing such gigs to cover costs and make a profit. Which brings up another point: At this stage of their careers they sure as fluck don't need more money (well, maybe Ronnie does). So, why not do a radical change up and do a three or four night stand at smaller venues? The tickets would sell out in a matter of minutes. And the Stones would save on expenses (the cost of the effects and spectacle, more than the music, their shows have become) by doing a stripped down show, just them on stage, sitting on stools or in chairs or whatever, playing music and maybe talking about how they were influenced by this song or that that would be the next tune they played. We'd all be hanging on every word and every note they played.

Think about it. In most major cities, larger towns, across the Americas, Europe, there are grand old theaters and music halls that would be great for this kind of Stones tour. And, the ticket prices could be lowered so I wouldn't have to skip a mortgage payment to see the band. My idea, in thinking about this, is from a performer of whom, I must be honest, I only like a few of his songs. Kid Rock has been touring with $20.00 (that's it - $20 bucks only) ticket prices and a stipulation that beer prices at his shows be held at $3.00 tops. His tour has sold out wherever he went. Cripes, imagine the Stones giving us a break on ticket and concession prices for a show. We'd be lined up a month ahead of time to buy tickets. Imagine how much more beer you could buy with the money you saved on ticket prices. And, this kind of tour could go on for a good while because the overhead would be low and the wear and tear on the band would be minimal.

Yessss! This is exactly the dream I have since 10 years.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 17, 2015 01:13

dmay
Re Mr. D's comment that the Stones can't or won't do smaller venues, the answer most likely is they won't because they won't make enough money doing such gigs to cover costs and make a profit. Which brings up another point: At this stage of their careers they sure as fluck don't need more money (well, maybe Ronnie does).

Imagine your boss has an access to your bank account : he considers you're rich enough so he tells you you're gonna work for 1$/h. for a little while.

And the Stones roadcrew is too going to be paid peanuts? Or the usual amount paycheck? In that case the more the Stones play the more they lose money.
Do thye get to rent the venues for nothign? I doubt it can happen so in the end everyone will make money except the guys in the band!

Good luck telling that to Jagger! grinning smiley They're generous but they're not philanthropist!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: February 17, 2015 01:45

I always get a big laugh out of how these threads get hijacked completely away from what the original subject started out as...smiling smiley I think BV should impose a 100 post limit on a thread. Bands don't play theaters to make money these days, they do it as a treat for their fans. They don't need a hundred roadies to put on a theater show. Its laughable to think of performers somewhere between millionaires and billionaires are worried about how much they make from ANY tour, be it theaters or stadiums...smiling smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 17, 2015 01:54

"And the Stones roadcrew is too going to be paid peanuts? Or the usual amount paycheck? In that case the more the Stones play the more they lose money.
Do thye get to rent the venues for nothign? I doubt it can happen so in the end everyone will make money except the guys in the band!

Good luck telling that to Jagger! grinning smiley They're generous but they're not philanthropist!"

Okay, dcba, let's rock and roll here.

What road crew are we talking about? My idea is a stripped down show: The Stones, their instruments, music. They don't need a ton of f*ckin' guitars - a few acoustics, a fave electric or two. Amps are minimal: An original Fender Bassman; original Fender Blues DeVille 4x10 (which is loud enough when cranked for the Beatles to have blown out Shea Stadium back in the day, let alone the Stones...I know...I have this amp); a Pignose amp; lord knows what else, but kept to the basics. Then you got your acoustic guitars miked and a nice speaker set-up so they project through the venue; a basic drum kit for Charlie; an electric piano piano for Chuck if he does the gig. So, whatta you got here - one bus load of instruments, amps,speakers, etc. Whatta you need here, maybe a roadie or two and help from the folks at the venue. Vi-ola: Your road crew expenses are minimal and even less if you carry your own guitars into the venue.

Regarding travel expenses, maybe they all can ride in a bus together or have another bus so they don't all have to spend time together. Who know's what arrangements, but it can be arranged if their willing to put their egos aside and enjoy being with each other for what would probably be the final ride.

So, now we have three buses, and if need be, maybe four.

Venue rental: You work it out with the venue. If they provide the rug for the stage and chairs/sofa for the band, a potted palm or two for decor, than, bam, your show expenses are minimized. For additional decor, do like Springsteen and have no stage props or do like Neil and the Horse and have a backdrop behind the band, in this case, a huge Stones tongue canvas hanging from the rafters behind the band. This goes from show to show. Bam! Another minimal expense and it can be rolled up and put on the instrument/amp bus. You cut the venue in for a share of beer/food/merch and your venue costs can be minimized.

This sh*t can be done, regarding a scaled down tour. My whole idea is that the Stones do a tour where it's all about the music and not the spectacle, not how much money can be made. And it's not about philanthropy...it's about the Stones thrilling their fans once more and giving them a show they will never forget. What a helluva way to go out. Do you hear me Messieurs Jagger/Richards/Watts/Wood?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 17, 2015 02:38

I actually thought you were serious about this stripped down tour idea until you got to the part about the Stones riding in buses (each with their own bus!).

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 17, 2015 06:48

Dylan's tickets are low because they are priced according to what a local promoter will guarantee. He does not do the numbers.

Date: February 17, 2015 14:11

Rokyfan
I actually thought you were serious about this stripped down tour idea until you got to the part about the Stones riding in buses (each with their own bus!).

But Rockyfan you have to admit: It´s a very very romantic vision....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 17, 2015 15:40

I really hope it's a never ending tour,then I will be able to take my new born niece to see the Stones for her 16th birthday in the year 2031 for the 31 on fire leg of the tour.

Nate hot smiley

Date: February 17, 2015 20:46

" Rokyfan

But Rockyfan you have to admit: It´s a very very romantic vision...."

Part of my point...the Stones themselves doing a tour in a way they never thought they would. Why can't Mick, Keith and the gang ride in one of them big ass rock star tour buses? Some of those buses are furnished better than our homes. Dylan and Neil Young could give them pointers on the best way and roads to travel via bus, the best places to eat on the road...and here, re Dylan and Neil, yeah, I am being facetious, but a Stones road trip - what a cool idea for them to try as a very different kind of tour.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: February 17, 2015 20:54

This is a strange post.
Did you see them since 2012? And all of those gigs were sold out.

MileHigh
Well if they are going to tour the US this summer I suppose that you have to have an announcement within the next two or three months. If nothing happens then I don't expect a US tour to take place.

When was the last time they had a 100% sold out tour? I am going to guess 1981-82. Perhaps 1989-90 but I doubt it. After that I am assuming that they haven't had a 100% sold out tour. The point being that the Rolling Stones are not relevant to today's youth. Not selling out entire tours is a chink in the Stones armor telling us that youth culture and society in general has moved on. I don't know where youth culture went because I am in my fifties and can't relate.

If nothing happens this year then chances are it's all over. Nor do I think that they are seriously "worrying" about releasing a new album.

I think the last time the Rolling Stones had a "fresh" feel was 1997-98 for Bridges to Babylon. That's almost 20 years ago now!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 17, 2015 20:57

The best part about the arena tour was that the band obviously responded very well to playing in a smaller room where they could play off each other. Believe it or not, an arena is what a club show used to be for them. That closeness is what makes the music better. Never saw the Hyde Park '13 show to be anywhere near as good as the arena shows they performed. A stadium show is an easy way out but definitely dont' want it to be my last memory of them.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 17, 2015 21:09

caschimann
Rokyfan

But Rockyfan you have to admit: It´s a very very romantic vision....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 17, 2015 21:48

Is that Dylan's tour bus? It has Bob painted on the side. Actually, I guess a number of these will show up painted with psychedelic images and GD logos for the (allegedly) final Grateful Dead shows in Chicago later this year.

Date: February 17, 2015 23:29

Is this Stu?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2015 23:34

YEP that's STU ...

BOB....Beast Of Burden ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 17, 2015 23:39

Thanks Rockman!

And Joker: What a nice post cool smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 18, 2015 09:25

caschimann
Are we already on a never ending tour?
Did the Stones realized that this are the last years to be able to perform live
(in that big tour size) all together?
Did they start with 50 and counting 2012 with the attitude "Let´s see where it will take us."
Beginning with a 6 gigs in 2012.
And then after that went well a whole US-Tour in 2013.
After that Asia 2014.
And Australia.
And Europe.
And Australia again.
After that Ronnie said: ""Let´s see where it all will take us."
Well for now it seems it will take them further on - south america for summer 2015 is in the planning.
Never ending.

I HARDLY think you can say

"and Australia
And Europe
and Australia AGAIN"

when the first tour was postponed. If not for the postponement of the 'first tour', the second visit to Australia would not have happened....

Date: February 18, 2015 09:59

yeah, thats right.
But "Australia again"just fit so nice in my shy theory....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2015 02:07

That was most likely their last trip Down Under...

Date: February 19, 2015 13:15

GasLightStreet
That was most likely their last trip Down Under...

But would you bet 1000 Dollar on that? smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:49

I, for one, hope so. As long as they can play, I will be there. If BB and Muddy and all those guys could do it, then so can our boys.

Date: February 21, 2015 03:20

that is what this thread is about

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 21, 2015 06:02

Let's be happy they still are touring.
As long as they play decent, I am happy.

Sure jagger will know when to stop

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 21, 2015 06:59

Big 'ole Bus or Birmingham or Bust. peace

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 22, 2015 00:37

There's no alternative. Time is no longer on their side now. sad smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 22, 2015 01:17

Real physical degradation starts to kick in after 70. I'm sure many of us have seen this in our own families. This is it. Can't really complain..

Date: February 22, 2015 02:12

"Real physical degradation starts to kick in after 70. I'm sure many of us have seen this in our own families. This is it. Can't really complain.."

What! What??? Do you think the Boomer generation is going to let this happen to them? There are scientists right now trying to formulate a fountain of youth pill, bionic hands and arms being developed to replace those arthrictic bones and fingers, medicated throat lozenges to embellish those strained vocal cords, aural micro-chips to restore diminished hearing.

Move over Young Turks...the Boomer generation isn't going out easy.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home