Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Woods Greatest Work
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: July 4, 2005 04:14

Well, it certainly hasn't been with The Stones and that's not Ronnie's fault. So let's consider the body of work he contributed before that fateful artistic venture.

I've been listening to 'A nod is a good as a wink...to a blind horse...' for the past couple of days, (it's easy to spend time with this album), and the work is unsurpassed IMHO. The guitar shines on every track, even the ones that it doesn't outright dominate, which is most of them. It's that pure raunchy 'whiskey rough' sound that's Ronnie's trademark. He co-wrote 5 of the 9 songs, his slide work is awsome and his lead lines are true and funky.

It's also The Faces best work once again IMHO, they never rocked with such fluid passion as they do on this one. And, it contains their one big FM hit 'Stay With Me'. (Which is Ronnie all the way) Anyway that's it, just got the urge to make this post after listening to this album for awhile. It's a beauty! I'm dancing now!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-05 09:02 by RankOutsider.

Re: Ronnie Woods Greatest Work
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2005 05:28

Keepin' the Glimmer Twins together.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: July 4, 2005 05:56

Good stuff, to be sure. But I'll take to my grave the belief that his best work was on most shows of the '78 tour.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 4, 2005 08:45

That is a great album but I think Ron was even better when he was 'on' live with the Faces. It is a crime that his stylings are overlooked. He carried that band with one guitar, working the Slide, the rhythm crunch, lead lines and picking in open tunings all at once. Not even Keith did this. Robert Johnson comes to mind.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 4, 2005 10:58

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keepin' the Glimmer Twins together.
>
> ROCKMAN

Absolutely!

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 4, 2005 13:00

A Nod... is a great album and an overlooked song is That's All You Need.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 4, 2005 14:49

Dirty work was Ronnies album,and is greatly underated.Solo wise Gimme some neck and I've got my own album to do are well worth checking out.

I think his live performances have actually got better,both solo and with the Stones.That performance of Can you hear me knocking blew Mick Talyor into the dust.I think the best is yet to come.

Date: July 4, 2005 15:47

I agree stargroover!
Ronnie was absolutely brilliant on CYHMK on the last tour.
25 mimutes of pulsewrestlingfistfucking guitarplay.
Taylor's a novice compared to Wood !
As a painter thoogh, I prefer the early work of Taylor, often reffered to as his minimalistic period!
Schuine

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 4, 2005 16:06

What about Slide on This? It is a great CD. The song writing is great, the guitars are awsome. Bernard and Ron make a great team.
Thierry

Date: July 4, 2005 16:06

I don't know. I am neither a Taylorite or a Woodsman. But I honestly can't say that Ron blew taylor away. He did great but do soea Taylor. Pointless to compare.
Wood is great in his ownm right. He is really good on accoustic. 1234 is his weakest IMO. GSNeck with the ggod tunes suffers from that bombastic overproduction. The first one, Now Look, Slidon This are the best. And Not for Beginners is one of my personal favorites. I also like his Live version of Slideon This.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 4, 2005 19:44

I hate Taylor vs Wood arguments - they're both Stones, great, & different.
Fave Ron works
1 Gasoline Alley, Rod (sheer sensitivity of RW's playing) also Every Picture & Never a Dull Moment
2 Ooh La La, Faces
Nod, & Long Player (& the box!)
3 Some Girls, Handsome Girls
Emotional Rescue, Tattoo,
Dirty Work, Voodoo
4 Jeff Beck Group, Truth & Beck-Ola
5 Now Look (best RW solo lp)
6 Birds, 1999 Deram Comp (grunge, punk energy, great solos)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-04 19:48 by john r.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 4, 2005 19:58

It is so ironic that the guitar work that Ronnie did with Rod Stewart far surpasses anything he's contributed to the Stones. The work with Rod Stewart cements his legacy as far as I'm concerned!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 4, 2005 20:44

I've always loved his work on "You're So Rude", from the "Nod..." album. It's not a flashy thing, but his licks and overall plying fits that nice song perfectly.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 4, 2005 20:50

Stay With Me (Faces), guitar
Don't Stop, guitar solo - the crown of the 40 Licks sessions
Emotional Rescue, bass
Always Wanted More (Ron Wood), his best solo song arrangement

Date: July 4, 2005 22:12

Always wanted more is a great song but that arrangment is terrible. It's so over the top. One of those muscial moments that is so bad it's funny, comical. Ron must have been drunk and high. Those dramatic string swells; the lyrics do not fit the drama of the music. I mena I like the tune a lot. Prefer it live thhough.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: July 4, 2005 23:05

Mick Taylor's lead on "I Don't Know Why" from Metamorphosis is totally fabulous and true gem of course.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 4, 2005 23:14

Indeed, so lets have a MT's greatest moments thread (imo including live SWAY on 2 Hot 4 Snakes) - Interesting to see Ron's evolution from barbed, punked-up high energy (Birds) to a more blues & Stones influenced style (& use of slide) during Rod/Faces era & then (at best) the Rooster Twins' weaving, & later some fine solos (& back to bass on 4 SW tracks) on the recent Stones albums...btw other great versions of I Dont Know Why include Jackson 5's (on ABC) & Bernard/Stevie Salas' Nickelbag cd, "12 Hits & a Bump" (beautiful 6 minute version - a shorter one on the 2nd cd, 'Mas Feedback')

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: July 5, 2005 09:06

I in no way intended for this to become a RW-vs-MT thread. (yikes! not that again!) Give Ronnie his space.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-05 09:34 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 5, 2005 11:46

His paintings!! His prices are just getting higher and higher.
:-)
PS: I have one.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: July 5, 2005 17:39

Mick Taylor's Greatest Work:

1. Brown Sugar, Brussels, 1st show.
2. Street Fighting Man, Ya Ya's.
3. Sway.
4. Sympathy For The Devil - Ya-Ya´s
5. Stop Breaking Down.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 5, 2005 18:12

Shawn20 Wrote:
> It is so ironic that the guitar work that Ronnie
> did with Rod Stewart far surpasses anything he's
> contributed to the Stones. The work with Rod
> Stewart cements his legacy as far as I'm
> concerned!

Truer words have not been spoken (or written). It's utterly stupefying that Ronnie's brilliance has been virtually wasted in his 30 years with this band....I won't bother with theories/hypotheses....

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 5, 2005 18:58

I agree with "Wink" being some of Woods greatest work but I also agree with the 78 tour comments.

My favorite Ron Wood work is the 78 Woodstock tour rehearsals. His rythm work on Let's Spend the Night Together is great. The guitar interplay on Whip is equally great. Gimmie Shelter, the blues songs, Beautiful Delilah, CS blues.....great stuff. And this was "live" no overdubs. The Stones at their post MT best. You can hear how Woody keeps Keith honest and drives him to play better than he has in a long time.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 5, 2005 19:35

his short solo on blinded by rainbows

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 5, 2005 20:16

Cafaro Wrote:
> My favorite Ron Wood work is the 78 Woodstock
> tour rehearsals. His rythm work on Let's Spend the
> Night Together is great. The guitar interplay on
> Whip is equally great. Gimmie Shelter, the blues
> songs, Beautiful Delilah, CS blues.....great
> stuff.

Nice choice, cafaro. The Woodstock Rehearsal boot is maybe the best example of what the (too-much-quoted-by-Keith) guitar weaving is.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1173
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home