Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones sites to visit in Manhattan/New York
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 3, 2005 12:57

I'm going to be in Manhattan/New York for a week for the MSG, Giants and (hopefully) Beacon Theatre shows. Can anyone shed any light on any interesting Stones related sites/locations to visit. One place I'd LOVE to identify is that doorway and then that bar that feature in the video of "Waiting on a friend".

Thanks

Re: Rolling Stones sites to visit in Manhattan/New York
Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: July 3, 2005 14:21

The waiting on a friend doorway is at St Marks (8th St) between Avenue A and First Ave. on the South side. It now has a gate across it (This was also the building used on the cover of Zep's Physical Grafitti. Walks up the block to the Southeast corner of St. Marks and First Ave and you'll see the bar they went into in the video, (although it's been yuppified)

Date: July 3, 2005 21:22

Thanks for that. I shall find the place - and it shall warm little old heart !

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 3, 2005 21:51

go to revolver records on west 8th street, you will be happy you did

Posted by: Stonesdoug ()
Date: July 3, 2005 23:37

Mick's last home in Manhattan was at 304 W. 81st St.

SHIDOOBEE

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 4, 2005 01:43

While you're in NYC(on the west side) go by The Dakota, you can see where John Lennon walked his final steps

Date: July 4, 2005 01:45

If you go on 5th Ave/12th st you can see where the '75 Tour Of America's kicked off.(Yes, the flatbed truck performance)

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 4, 2005 02:50

Mick's old pad in Manhattan was called the LANGHAM, the address Doug mentioned, 2 blocks from the Dakota and Mick and John used to visit each other in the late 70's. It is spooky to go by there now but if you are in the neighborhood, check out STRAWBERRY FIELDS, the section of Central Park, across from the Dsakota that is a memorial to John.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: July 4, 2005 03:11

Speaking of Revolver Records, head down 8th Street to the intersection of 8th and Sixth Avenue and replay the opening words of Dance Pt. 1 in your head.

Date: July 4, 2005 11:37

Everybody,

Thanks thanks thanks !

The Dakota building I actually know from previous visits to NY, as indeed the Strawberry Fields memorial to Lennon in the park just across the road. It's very sad, is it not? On Saturday last we had the pleasure of listening to 50 percent of one of the great songwriting partnerships of the 20th century do "Sgt Peppers" at Live8 in London, and then you think of that awful day in 1980 outside the Dakota Bldg and of poor John and of what might have been had that event not occurred.

So what IS Revolver records ? I shall go there of course, but meanwhile - what is it ???????? A record store, a shrine, a WHAT ?????????

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 4, 2005 13:47

Go to Tower Records, East 4th st. Rumour has it that Keith owns two flats (two full floors) abowe the record store. He is sometimes seen in the bar/pub across the street. Also go to The Bottom Line, west 4th. Sadly it's closed now, but Keith used to hang out here a lot. Making surprise appearances with, amongst others, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, lots of reggae people etc... Btw, Tower's a great record store. See you there! Siw

Date: July 4, 2005 16:05

It makes one stop and wonder if Lennon and Harrison were alive today would The Beatles have reunited for a new album or tour. The sky would be the limit for those ticket prices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home