Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones @ Live 8
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 3, 2005 01:25

What a great show that was in London! 3 songs, Start me Up, Must Be Hell and Ít´s Only Rock N Roll. They flew in directly from LA. What a great idea to play to billions at home and hundreds of thousands in their hometown. Many people will say: Wow, they still do rock! It was as good at Juillíard! Just pure Stones. They just go out and play, like every other @#$%& band.

Ooops, wrong planet!

Re: The Rolling Stones @ Live 8
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 3, 2005 01:28

Really - I havent been watching, they did "Must Be Hell"? I think that's the first time live for that one, no?

Posted by: RvO-NL-1 ()
Date: July 3, 2005 01:30

LOL -TWICE-

Cheers RvO-NL

StonesForum.nl

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 3, 2005 01:33

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I think that's the first time live for that
> one, no?

Yes, they chose it for those lyrics (poor/rich) etc. great choice. A bit rusty, but fine. The crowd seemed to like it. Keith wore his torn and frayed Live Aid "shirt" from 1985.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-03 01:35 by TooTough.

Posted by: Heartbraker ()
Date: July 3, 2005 01:52

Serious????
Are the stones performing.don´t make a joke on me.I need the stones!!!!

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: July 3, 2005 01:55

It was embarrassing moment for us Stones fans. Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters put their differences apart and put an amazing performance (If you forgive the first lines sang by Waters, in which mumbles instead of singing). And our boys?? I can’t accept the excuse lack of time or we are doing a new record! If they care to travel from Prague to Toronto to make an (payed) concert in 2003 then they should even have more respect and played on Live 8, even more because they missed the first one! I never critised the Stones before but this is a SAD fan who would love see them playing for such an important event. Correct me if I’m wrong but they never played for charity purposes, except for Nicaragua earthquake, and because Bianca was Jagger´´s wife. It´s SAD!!!

Posted by: Heartbraker ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:01

What is this?Are they performing or not???

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:10

Macca stole the show. Shame on the Stones.

Date: July 3, 2005 02:13

so they did NOT perform?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:14

We saw Lisa Fisher though!!! You could not have missed her.

Date: July 3, 2005 02:15

No, they can get their ass up for some stupid press conference, but not for a world wide gig for a good cause.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:19

"Macca stole the show"

you are joking right ? that was lame

it pains me to say it but from crowd reaction alone Robbie Williams won the day. the crowd lapt up every word

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:22

IMO Robbie Williams was the highlight of the show. I think U2 (Bono) didn't sing well. A bit out of tone.

Date: July 3, 2005 02:25

i thought The Who were bloody good too. a bit of rawkus rock n roll

Date: July 3, 2005 02:27

At least in the first Live Aid we could hear It´s only Rock´n´Roll with jagger and Tina Turner!! On this we had a glimpse of Lisa!!!! F####ing Great!!!

Date: July 3, 2005 02:28

as far as i know, the american gig is still going on isn't it ?

who says they wont appear there ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:36

as Mick was in yorkshire this afternoon and he was confirmed as a performer at hyde park this evening on the BBC site, I'll say it!

Date: July 3, 2005 02:50

is that fact or rumour ?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 3, 2005 02:52

>> is that fact or rumour ? <<

it's the Trickster Archetype. Mick just can't help it.
the adrenaline of anticipation was fun -
but dammit, i need some ~*STONES!*~

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-03 02:56 by with sssoul.

Date: July 3, 2005 02:54

I´m not joking Andy. Easy job for Robbie by the way. At least Macca did a few less known tunes like Helter Skelter. Yesterday could have been sung by the crowd just like Robbies Angels. But if you look at the Hey Jude ending - nobody can beat that as a crowd pleaser...

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 3, 2005 03:26

TT: Ooops, wrong planet! You had me going on this one. You are too groovy!

Date: July 3, 2005 04:00

>> Correct me if I’m wrong but they never played for charity purposes, except for Nicaragua earthquake <<

you're wrong, Riffbuk. just to name a few: Return to Sin City was a benefit, SARStock was a benefit, the NRDC Benefit was a benefit, the Rainforest Benefit was a benefit, the Concert for New York City was a benefit - oh yeah and the CNIB Benefits were benefits too, i'll be darned! not to mention all the other contributions they make whether you've heard of them or not. but since you're charity-minded, you might want to try this one yourself - it's pretty cool:
[www.futureforests.com]

- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-03 04:12 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 3, 2005 04:14

the Stones have also done other tour shows down the years where they have donated the proceeds to charity - the Oakland show in 1989 was just after an earthquake there and they donated the proceeds

The Prague show in 1990 saw the proceeds go to children's charities.

The CNIB Benefit was another, although in Keith's case, he had little option BUT to play it!

I wouldnt quite count SARSTOCK as a charity gig, considering they were paid some $10 million or so for their trouble.

Im not sure about the NRDC show. Whilst it was a charity gig in so far as it was a fund raiser and most of the audience got in for free, the Stones may have been paid for it. Steve Bing bankrolled the event,as far as I know and a few thousand people who he distibuted tickets to paid a lot of cash I believe

Date: July 3, 2005 04:27

thanks Gazza - i didn't know that about Oakland 89 and Prague 90. (and i apologize for editing my post to add the CNIB gigs while you were writing yours!)

some details about SARStock and the NRDC gig - not to argue, but just for the record:
[www.thestar.com]
[www.rollingstone.com]

- Keith

Date: July 3, 2005 04:31

I dont know if its published elsewhere, but at Fenway they gave stage seats to local charities to auction - & are doing this in other cities.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 3, 2005 09:05

Floyd was awesome, however the coverage sucked. At the end of comfortably numb, the commentators cut in. WHAT THE @#$%&? and the who, what little i heard of them they sounded awesome, but again the damn commentators cut up their performance. That really ticked me off. i mean here was a sacred event, floyd reuniting, and the commentators botch it up. damn, we may never see that again. On another note about floyd, sounds like dave can still sing, but roger was having trouble singing. Oh well.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 3, 2005 09:21

I think it was a disgrace that the Stones din't show up to play.

Date: July 3, 2005 14:08

with sssoul!!!
When I mentioned those charity concerts I mean the Rolling Stones as a band , not their solo members, if you look after 40 years into the Rock history, they except for the Nicaragua earthquake and The free NRDC concert , they never perfomed as an band in any major "humanitarian" concerts, For Bangaldesh, Kampuchea,Live Aid, Amnesty international,Greenpeace etc, etc...The Concert for NY(no Charlie, no Ronnie), Return to Sin City (Just Keith) etc etc I meam I´m sure that on personnel level they all do everything they can with money and their wisdom, and craft , but is like the name Rolling Stones in forbiden to contribuite , and I strongely believe that best names and the best persons are needed for the best causes. Problably is like Jagger once said back in the sixties, they were visiting hospitals as the Beatles, it was just that everybody wore more interessed in their wild side.Im was just sad because yesterday all the big bands were there;Pink Floyd, The Who, Macca, U2, Sting ...and our boys???I was just sad because I think is a blessing to see them live , and believe me, they could really be the biggest musical thing yesterday! But I will allways love them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-03 14:15 by Riffbuk.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Date: July 3, 2005 14:40

cool, Riffbuk - so i failed to intuit the strict definitions you had in mind, but i reckon the Oakland and Prague gigs that Gazza mentioned should fit your requirements (unless there's some mysterious reason to disregard those as well). in any case:
right, the Rolling Stones do what the Rolling Stones do. always have! i'd gotten used to it by about 1964. :E

- Keith

Date: July 3, 2005 14:41

"Floyd was awesome, however the coverage sucked. At the end of comfortably numb, the commentators cut in. WHAT THE @#$%&?"

the bbc they didn't. it showed all the songs in there wonderful coma inducing fullness. unfortunately yawning smiley(

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home