Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Chances of recording sessions taking place right now?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2015 18:47

I supposed I could've put it a bit better. When I say The Rolling Stones last creative LP was UNDERCOVER it's strictly referencing the Stones with Wyman and as a (supposedly) functioning band. I've said it a few times, that U was their last creative LP, only to be reminded of BRIDGES being a very creative LP as well.

Which it was.

I just think that's different, BTB compared to U in terms of creativity, the times and the band. What Mick did with GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY is probably how he wanted BTB to turn out. As we know BTB is more of a solo Stones sessions rather than solo sessions since all were done with Charlie and with the "Stones" in mind. Certainly the best of the 3 post-Wyman LPs, at least to my ears.

That's so weird, that they've only done 3 LPs since Wyman quit. It's been 22 years...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 13, 2015 19:48

I fully agree that it is weird. The Stones could probably have made more albums at least at the level of B2B, if met with keen interest. A latter day Rolling Stones output as maybe not a great, but semi-great period. That is what makes it sad, too. And if they had been inspired by such reception, it is even possible that almost greatness could have been shown on occasions.

Date: February 13, 2015 20:29

Who knows how many more kinds of uber riff tunes Keith has plonking around in that head of his. There are unlimited unwritten new classic Stones songs out there that will never happen...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 14, 2015 06:48

GasLightStreet
Who knows how many more kinds of uber riff tunes Keith has plonking around in that head of his. There are unlimited unwritten new classic Stones songs out there that will never happen...

Maybe Keith just can't compete with the old Keith, when everything just flowed. He was at such a high level as an artist that it must be frustrating not to be able to create in that stratosphere any longer. Every riff he does now sounds like some weak echo of riches past. It's their fault. They spoiled us. Now that their almost human it's hard to take.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 14, 2015 13:41

GasLightStreet
I supposed I could've put it a bit better. When I say The Rolling Stones last creative LP was UNDERCOVER it's strictly referencing the Stones with Wyman and as a (supposedly) functioning band. I've said it a few times, that U was their last creative LP, only to be reminded of BRIDGES being a very creative LP as well.

Which it was.

I just think that's different, BTB compared to U in terms of creativity, the times and the band. What Mick did with GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY is probably how he wanted BTB to turn out. As we know BTB is more of a solo Stones sessions rather than solo sessions since all were done with Charlie and with the "Stones" in mind. Certainly the best of the 3 post-Wyman LPs, at least to my ears.

That's so weird, that they've only done 3 LPs since Wyman quit. It's been 22 years...

Frank Laufenberg, a leading music critic in Germany, called Undercover a mediocre Stones record then. But he also added: A mediocre Stones record is better than 99 % of all records already released or to be released this year!
I rank Bridges to Babylon among their top 5 in creativity and variety soundwise. Maybe it lacks a single in the typical hit-single sense but Tumbling Dice also didn't go to No. 1.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 14, 2015 17:51

The music industry has changed so much which is probably the biggest reason for their lack of new material. I suspect sales on their last studio effort was
Disappointing. As fans we know that sales isn't everything ....but their business
Managers could be telling them otherwise.

Date: February 14, 2015 18:16

swimtothemoon
The music industry has changed so much which is probably the biggest reason for their lack of new material. I suspect sales on their last studio effort was
Disappointing. As fans we know that sales isn't everything ....but their business
Managers could be telling them otherwise.

Mick likes high charting things. If it doesn't go #1 then, as he says, why bother. Although that attitude didn't stop him from doing solo albums and SuperHeavy - things he did that hardly anyone noticed or cared about. But the charts nowadays? They mean absolutely nothing. 15 million viewers on a video on YouTube doesn't mean 15 million people watched it.

The Stones have over-lived their being interesting - and certainly haven't helped it out by not doing much. Everyone and their brother has the back catalogue. The amount of new fans is nil compared to the 1970s and 80s and 90s (the 90s being, hilariously, a time when they sold more copies of LPs on average per release than any previous releases - then again, there was more hype in more places). The interest doesn't seem to be... as interesting. It's become more of a spectacle of 'these geezers' than it ever was before - and it's not as big a deal as it once was because they don't go away.

I think the only way they could truly get anyone's attention would be by recording a new album, making sure that absolutely NO ONE knows, and release it.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:21

Here's a good example for the lack of new album since 2005:

[articles.latimes.com]

"The Rolling Stones. $168 million. Given the eye- and wallet-popping top face-value ticket price of $450 for the Stones' "A Bigger Bang" tour, it's not a big surprise that Mick, Keith and the boys shattered their own 12-year-old record (of $121.2 million in 1994) for highest-grossing concert tour of all time. That made up 96% of the band's Ultimate Top 10 total this year, in keeping with the past in which album sales have been virtually irrelevant to the Stones' total. Despite enthusiastic reviews, the group's "A Bigger Bang" CD contributed only about $6 million to the total. One surprise the group did manage: Its average ticket price of $133.98 wasn't tops last year, or even second or third place. More on that later."

So, back on 2005 (when people were still buying albums) ABB debuted at #3 on the U.S. chart and sold about 550,000 copies total, yet only contributed about $6 million, GRRR has sold half of that and is their best selling album released since then.
They gross about 5-6 million dollar for an arena show nowadays and 7-10 million for a stadium show, where is the motivation for a new album, even for a greatest hits album?, it's totally irrelevant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-14 18:22 by georgelicks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:48

JJHMick
[I rank Bridges to Babylon among their top 5 in creativity and variety soundwise. Maybe it lacks a single in the typical hit-single sense but Tumbling Dice also didn't go to No. 1.

I thought so at the time, but the sound quickly became dated and I find it almost unlistenable now. They used to strike this balance between what was new and what was their sound. (See Some Girls). But this one hasn't aged well. Again it feels like a Mick album AND a Keith album, with little meeting of their talents.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 14, 2015 21:31

georgelicks
Here's a good example for the lack of new album since

So, back on 2005 (when people were still buying albums) ABB debuted at #3 on the U.S. chart and sold about 550,000 copies total, yet only contributed about $6 million, GRRR has sold half of that and is their best selling album released since then.

This means ABB just barely achieved "gold status" which is 500,000 copies
sold. Surprising because the tour was successful and Both VH1 and MTV were running their Videos. They were being promoted in shows such as "live at the ten spot" on MTV. I think they had two or three singles ... Saint of me, anybody
Seen my baby and maybe another song.

On the other hand "A bigger Bang" would have had little promotion except the tour. Anyway, I just don't remember much extra promotion. I'm guessing the sales were dismal. The album was good though...

We really could do without another greatest hits album. Maybe that would be the only way to package a couple new songs though.

Personally I figured they would release an album from the last tour featuring
All the guest stars on that tour along with the songs played. They probably
Would have done this by now though.

Date: February 15, 2015 02:02

The live duets album idea was a bad idea created by someone here. It was never an actual possibility. Had they done it it would've been a nightmare and would've clearly sold less than LIVE LICKS, which, as I can recall, their poorest selling/charting live album.

Georgelicks reveals it all: album sales for a gold album - and I bet that $6 million figure is a bit much - barely account for ONE SHOW.

Completely pointless for The Rolling $tone$.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1317
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home