Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lyrics of Rock And A Hard Place
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 15, 2015 22:44

An other thread about the Steel Wheels outtake Giving It Up made me listen to this great discovery of outtakes CD again. Much of this raw mixes sound better then the official release.
For example Rock And A Hard Place. I listend to it again with textbook from the official Steel Wheels.
It made me think of Doom & Gloom and High Wire subjects lyric wise, but maybe I am wrong.

A shame they did overproduce Steel Wheels. Hold On To Your Hat, Break The Spell and Hearts For Sale sound better. Slipping Away instrumental only...beautiful.
...hmmmm STEEL WHEELS DE LUXE, like the sound of that. Comes with a DVD from Atlanta 1989 ofcourse Eagle Rock drinking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-15 22:57 by RipThisBone.

Re: Lyrics of Rock And A Hard Place
Date: January 16, 2015 00:50

Nice thoughts... As far as the lyrics, yes, they seem very close to 'Highwire' and 'Doom & Gloom'. All three of them are about either a political or social type of conflict (dare I say apocalyptic?). I'd also argue that they are fairly similar in style: fast-paced with lyrics tackling a serious topic. For comparison, I've put the first verse of each song in the order they were released, as well as an attempt to make my post appear longer. smiling smiley

-Rock & A Hard Place (1989)
The fields of Eden
Are filled with trash
And if we beg and we borrow and steal
We'll never get it back
People are hungry
They crowd around
And the city gets bigger as the country comes begging to town

-Highwire (1991)
We sell 'em missiles, We sell 'em tanks
We give 'em credit, You can call up the bank
It's just a business, You can pay us in crude
You'll love these toys, just go play out your feuds
We got no pride, don't know whose boots to lick
We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick

-Doom & Gloom (2012)
I had a dream last night
I was piloting a plane
And all the passengers were drunk and insane
I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp
Shot up a horde of zombies
But I come out on top
What's it all about?
Guess it just reflects my mood
Sitting in the dirt
Feeling kind of hurt

I have a feeling that 'Highwire' was a leftover from the SW sessions until they decided to release a live album and wanted a studio-recorded single, so they fixed up 'Sex Drive' and this one... It's a shame they don't perform it live...

Date: January 16, 2015 00:53

thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2015 00:55

Back Ta Zero ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 16, 2015 03:02

It Must Be Hell...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:43

This tune is so bloated lyrically... on top of the fact that it's pure chintz. No mix could improve this song! The music doesn't have anything in common with the lyrics. It's so... uppity.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 16, 2015 18:22

GasLightStreet
... on top of the fact that it's pure chintz.

I disagree. I think it is more schmaltz.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 16, 2015 18:52

Haunting like the Lynyrd Skynyrd crash:

I had a dream last night
I was piloting a plane
And all the passengers were drunk and insane
I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp

Date: January 16, 2015 19:04

ryanpow
GasLightStreet

Hmmmm. More schmaltz than pure chintz. So in essence you do find some chintz with it...

It's too bad they didn't finish what became Highwire and put it on STEEL WHEELS instead of this song.

Date: January 16, 2015 19:06

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I have a feeling that 'Highwire' was a leftover from the SW sessions until they decided to release a live album and wanted a studio-recorded single, so they fixed up 'Sex Drive' and this one... It's a shame they don't perform it live...

I recall reading that Highwire was indeed a leftover from the SW sessions, at least the song was. What it was called I have no idea. Nothing on nzentgraf alludes to it beginning at the SW sessions but I think Mick said it was.

Date: January 16, 2015 20:48

GasLightStreet
ryanpow
GasLightStreet

Hmmmm. More schmaltz than pure chintz. So in essence you do find some chintz with it...

It's too bad they didn't finish what became Highwire and put it on STEEL WHEELS instead of this song.

My argument was kind of weak. I guess that's because I still like the song despite its schmaltz.

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:20

Cringe-worthy:

Stuck between a rock and a hard place
You'd better stop, put on a kind face

Date: January 16, 2015 22:03

ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow
GasLightStreet

My argument was kind of weak. I guess that's because I still like the song despite its schmaltz.

That's because you're stuck between a rock...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2015 01:39

redsock
Cringe-worthy:

Stuck between a rock and a hard place
You'd better stop, put on a kind face

That visual made me laugh...the one in the video where Mick sings the line and waves his hand over his face to a smile.

Kinda cringeworthy for sure!

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 17, 2015 15:03

Dated badly as all songs that are political usually do maybe except SFM. But it has a good beat with an interesting sound/production that was crisp and fresh. At the time I was just stoked they were back on the road with a hit album and single. I never understood how they failed to hear "Soul survivor" or "It must be hell" in that recycled riff but again didn't care as was just happy they were back.

The only thing from 1989 I'll never recover from is Mick's haircut.
Oh deary.

Date: January 17, 2015 19:21

OzHeavyThrobber
Dated badly as all songs that are political usually do maybe except SFM. But it has a good beat with an interesting sound/production that was crisp and fresh. At the time I was just stoked they were back on the road with a hit album and single. I never understood how they failed to hear "Soul survivor" or "It must be hell" in that recycled riff but again didn't care as was just happy they were back.

Oh deary.

It was his 'yuppie look'.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: January 17, 2015 20:43

treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber

Oh deary.

It was a wig.

Date: January 19, 2015 04:36

OutOfTime
treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber

Oh deary.

It was a wig.

What is it now?

Date: January 19, 2015 05:14

treaclefingers
OutOfTime
treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber

Oh deary.

It was a wig.

What is it now?

It's amazing how some think they wear wigs. Sheep.

Date: January 19, 2015 07:37

I never believed any of them wore wigs, but after watching last PPV I think Mick might have hair extensions of some sort.

Date: January 19, 2015 08:14

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
OutOfTime
treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber

Oh deary.

It was a wig.

What is it now?

Only Mick and Ronnie. Who cares?

Date: January 19, 2015 18:12

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
OutOfTime
treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber

Oh deary.

It was a wig.

What is it now?

you've totally lost me here skippy. are you saying the wig is made of wool? it's not a rug, it's a wig...well, I guess you can call it a rug but it's made from animal hair, not wool.

Oh never mind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home