Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
-
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:24

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:38 by camper88.

Re: Can The Stones Save Country Music?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:33

Country music is dead. It's called Country Music on the radio but it's pop music with a twang for a really dumbed down audience. Kind of like the white version of a rap audience.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 10, 2015 08:47

Amen to that. Below is the ad Johnny Cash's manager's paid to put in Billboard Magazine in 2000. Cash's album won a grammy but it couldn't get played on the radio because modern country radio utterly and completely sucks.

I'd love to see the Stones put out an album of country covers. Jagger's older voice is suited for singing country. Maybe the Stones can turn America on to its country music heritage the same way it turned America on to its Blues heritage.

P.S. I love Keith's cover of "Apartment Number 9" He can sing country, too.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: January 10, 2015 08:51

Agreed. The Stones would blow Nashville outta the water.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 10, 2015 09:43

Thankfully bluegrass music has retained it's roots better than the country/pop stuff most radio stations are playing.

And somewhat surprisingly, you can still find decent country music in the honky tonks and dive bars throughout America. I've heard some amazing Stones-ish country played in middle of nowhere bars by weekend warrior bands who only play locally and some good stuff at steel guitar festivals in the midwest.

I wouldn't go so far as 24FPS and say country is dead, it's just hiding where you might not expect it.

peace

Posted by: Raymond82 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 10:32

Check out Daniel Meade from Glasgow... He'll do his best to save it. This song is outstanding start to finish...

[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 10, 2015 10:49

Pietro

I'd love to see the Stones put out an album of country covers. Jagger's older voice is suited for singing country. Maybe the Stones can turn America on to its country music heritage the same way it turned America on to its Blues heritage.

I dig that idea (at least theoretically). Since Dylan is busy with Sinatra these days, I guess the Stones could be up to to it...

But I am sure Jagger hates the idea. His voice suits damn well, and he has an odd natural ability to do that kind of stuff, but apparantly that would be about the last thing he would ever do... Just to get him sing the blues would be a task enough...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 10:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 10, 2015 12:14

I'd say it would be very nice if the Stones would have an original "song with a twang" on their next album.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2015 12:55

if so, I'll run twenty red lights in their honor. Thank ya Jaggus, Thank ya Load!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 10, 2015 14:05

They should just save their own music.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 10, 2015 14:08

If you want to hear some awesome Country music that is currently being produced, you have to check out Marty Stuart & his Fabulous Superlatives ---

he and his band are without the a doubt the best there is out there right now--

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 10, 2015 14:36

Stop listening to Toby Keith, Blake Shelton or Jason Aldean...there's so much more.

Miranda Lambert, Sturgill Simpson, Jamey Johnson, Ashley Monroe, Little Big Town, Kacey Musgraves, Eric Church, Daniel Romano, Caitlin Rose, Brad Paisley, Angaleena Presley, Pistol Annies,...

Country has never been so alive.

Even oldies like George Strait, Garth Brooks, Bruce Robison, Don Williams, Vince Gill, Guy Clark, Jim Lauderdale, Dwight Yoakam are still going strong.

I recently read this tweet, it sums it up nicely:
It’s a delight to see a bunch of people who don’t listen to new country music share that “all new country music sounds the same” video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 15:12 by BowieStone.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 15:22

+1 What BowieStone said

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 10, 2015 15:53

Reminds me of a famous Carlene Carter quote - I put the cu nt in country music.
Country music certainly needs to be saved by somebody.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 10, 2015 16:18

camper88
Because, hell, somebody needs to . . .

might rather be a job for Ryan Adams…

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2015 16:51

Do you think I really care?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2015 17:13

Doxa
Pietro

I dig that idea (at least theoretically). Since Dylan is busy with Sinatra these days, I guess the Stones could be up to to it...

But I am sure Jagger hates the idea. His voice suits damn well, and he has an odd natural ability to do that kind of stuff, but apparantly that would be about the last thing he would ever do... Just to get him sing the blues would be a task enough...

- Doxa

With regards to country, I always thought Micks approach was a bit tongue in cheek, an homage but also making fun of it in a way.

I think he'd be surprised to learn that many people would kill for a Stones Country album as he really doesn't take the genre very seriously, at least from the perspective of their own material/performances.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 10, 2015 17:24

treaclefingers

With regards to country, I always thought Micks approach was a bit tongue in cheek, an homage but also making fun of it in a way.

Well, his words exactly:

Mick Jagger, 1995: "I love Country music, but I find it very hard to take it seriously. I also think a lot of country music is sung with the tongue in cheek, so I do it tongue in cheek. The harmonic thing is very different from the blues. It doesn't bend notes in the same way, so I suppose it's very English, really. Even though it's been very Americanized, it feels very close to me, to my roots, so to speak."

Date: January 10, 2015 17:26

BowieStone
treaclefingers

Well, his words exactly:

Mick Jagger, 1995: "I love Country music, but I find it very hard to take it seriously. I also think a lot of country music is sung with the tongue in cheek, so I do it tongue in cheek. The harmonic thing is very different from the blues. It doesn't bend notes in the same way, so I suppose it's very English, really. Even though it's been very Americanized, it feels very close to me, to my roots, so to speak."

wow...I sort of 'nailed it'.

Date: January 10, 2015 17:27

treaclefingers
BowieStone
treaclefingers

Well, his words exactly:

Date: January 10, 2015 17:31

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BowieStone
treaclefingers

Well, his words exactly:

another great example of tongue in cheek.

Date: January 10, 2015 17:34

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BowieStone
treaclefingers

Well, his words exactly:

another great example of tongue in cheek.

I need a yellow cab to help me get outta this pain in the cheek.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 10, 2015 19:02

Silver Dagger
Reminds me of a famous Carlene Carter quote - I put the cu nt in country music.
Country music certainly needs to be saved by somebody.

The savior will be the descendant of the great Hank Williams - Hank III:

Theme song for this thread

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: January 10, 2015 19:41

I love their country songs...If you were to compile a playlist or cd of all the Stones country songs, what would you include? Here's a few I think are for sure:

High and Dry
No Expectations
Dear Doctor
Factory Girl
Country Honk
Let It Bleed
You Got the Silver
Dead Flowers
Far Away Eyes
Do You Think I really Care?
The Worst

Date: January 10, 2015 19:44

aftergeography
I love their country songs...If you were to compile a playlist or cd of all the Stones country songs, what would you include? Here's a few I think are for sure:

High and Dry
No Expectations
Dear Doctor
Factory Girl
Country Honk
Let It Bleed
You Got the Silver
Dead Flowers
Far Away Eyes
Do You Think I really Care?
The Worst

Bob Wills is Still The King
Apartment Number 9

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 19:48 by mighty stork.

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: January 10, 2015 19:45

I don't think anyone can save country,if they come along it's only for a short time before they get crucified.It's much like blues,soul & jazz, people just aren't tough like they used to be. Don't get me wrong, there are some out there, but they never seem to push these artists, they want the safe types on top.

I play with this guy,he was trying to combine David Allen Coe, Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard, The Stones & Bobby Womack's country stuff all in a blender and this is what he came up with!
[savoirfaire1.bandcamp.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 20:02 by bbkink.

Date: January 10, 2015 20:05

bbkink
I don't think anyone can save country,if they come along it's only for a short time before they get crucified.It's much like blues,soul & jazz, people just aren't tough like they used to be. Don't get me wrong, there are some out there, but they never seem to push these artists, they want the safe types on top.

I play with this guy,he was trying to combine David Allen Coe, Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard, The Stones & Bobby Womack's country stuff all in a blender and this is what he came up with!

Sounds good to me but you take country straight from the bottle and never use a blender. That's for Parrotheads.

Date: January 10, 2015 20:06

Stones Country
No Spare Parts
Dead Flowers
Far Away Eyes
You Win Again
Sweet Virginia
Do You Think I Really Care
Blinded by Love
Dear Doctor
You Got The Silver
Country Honk
We Had It All
Let It Bleed
Factory Girl
The Worst
No Expectations

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 10, 2015 20:22

I've made a compilation some weeks ago, and this is the tracklist I've choose for a one and a half hour webradio show:

I’m Moving On/High and Dry/Dear Doctor/Factory Girl/You Got The Silver/Bob Wills is Still the King/You Win Again/Dead Flowers/Claudine/Do You Think I Really Care/We Had it All/Through the Lonely Nights/No Spare Parts/Far Away Eyes/Sweet Virginia/Indian Girl/Country Honk/Love Hurts (Keith Richards with Norah Jones)/Hickory Wind (Keith Richards)/Burn Your Playhouse Down (Keith Richards with George Jones)/Say It’s Not True (Keith Richards with George Jones)/Evening Gown (Jerry Lee Lewis with Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood)/The Worst (Keith Richards with Willie Nelson and Sheryl Crow)/Deuce & A Quarter (Keith Richards with Levon Helm, Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana)

Date: January 10, 2015 20:33

Son of another country hero singing about country crap:

Shooter Jennings - "Outlaw You"

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home