Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Flip The Switch offered a frantic, farewell breakfast show
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 29, 2005 20:03

Mathis, I'm with Bruno about a record of the gig. Did you guys record it and if so can those of us who live too far away to have attended the show get a copy? I've only heard the snippets avaialbe on your site and so I'm hungry for more!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 29, 2005 21:11

Mathijs,
Sometime last year in this forum I mentioned something about seeing an ad for a "Pink Floyd" cover band and talked about what a joke cover bands are. However, in reading about FTS and the "farewell" concert, I was curious enough to visit your website and listen to some of your live performances. I have to say that FTS, at times, sounded better than the real thing. You guys are very good and have captured the sound of the Stones like no band I've ever heard. In fact, if I had the opportunity, I'd attend a FTS performance. So, I stand corrected about cover bands, at least where FTS is concerned. Good luck in your next musical venture.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 29, 2005 21:40

After seeing FTS play at the Kurhaus revival party in august and really enjoying the performance i went to the Panama sunday. Like everybody else i really enjoyed the gig. It was music wise a good gig and after let it bleed (and some beers :-)) the whole crowd was really into it and dancing and singing along.

After the gig i had the same thought as Bruno and ChrisM, did you record the gig and can put it on you website or a cd? I would really love to hear Miss You again!

The only downpoint for me was that because the gig lasted for about three hours i had to leave right after the after the gig and i couldn't meet any of you IORR members. Maybe next time...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 30, 2005 12:06

What we have tried to do with Flip the Switch -and I have said this many times before- is try to emulate a bit of the sheer raw energy the Stones had in the 70's. It's not about technique, copying solo's or wearing a wig, but about knocking the audience of it's feet by the sheer energy of the music. Compared to the Stones, we had a much more simple job: we bought the same amps and guitars as they played, and we listened through 15 years of concerts to pick out the best versions of the songs we liked, and try to get to the essence of these versions. The Stones can never do this, as for them this would be looking back, while they are an original band and must look forward. Further, we had a big idea how we wanted to sound and how the show must look from a viewers pint of view. We feel we have succeeded in our approach, but we also feel we can't take it any further anymore. Our way of working also backfired to us sometimes. As we grew bigger and outgrew the standard pubs, some people started to feel we were arrogant. Well, sometimes as a musician you need to be arrogant to get your point through, so maybe there's a bit of truth in there. Second, we sounded much more like the Stones in the 70's than the current Stones, and to some people who only know the Stones from the big stadium shows of the 90's, we were just too loud and raw.

To me, the Stones from 1968 until 1986 are gods. Untouched by any other band ever on this planet. And they will stay that way, even though Richards doesn't play like he used to, Wood falls off the stage once in a while, and Wyman is gone. The Stones are the Stones. Period.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2005 12:18

Nice words Mathijs...very nice words from the heart.

It's tough out there so all the best for the future of Flip The Switch.

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2211
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home