Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: 2015 Ice Hockey World Junior Championship
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 27, 2014 17:23

...this year in Toronto and Montreal, Canada. Already on the way. Reigning champions Finland lost on penalties against USA, 2-1, yesterday. Sweden had an easy win against Czechia, 5-2.
Favourites will, of course, be Canada although they haven't won since 2009. Maybe USA is even stronger. They won in 2010 and 2013.

Re: OT: 2015 Ice Hockey World Junior Championship
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 23:45

This tournament has grown huge in Canada over the years. TSN (our ESPN) has really promoted the games over the years and now they get huge ratings over the Christmas holidays. In previous years, it's been played other cities like Vancouver, Winnipeg and Halifax. Games always draw huge crowds and all games with Team Canada are sold out. Must be exciting for the juniors to play infront of crowds of 20000.
For Team Canada, the big name this year is Connor McDavid, who is projected to go number 1 in the next NHL draft, and is being compared to Sidney Crosby.
TSN is also showing the Spengler Cup which takes place in Switzerland and has a Team Canada participate in that. It was fairly big a couple years ago when many NHL stars went over to play during the NHL strike.

Date: December 28, 2014 09:18

Some notes from yesterday's games: Slovakia recovered from a 8-0 loss against Canada and won against Finland, 2-1. Czechia was defeated once again.
This time they lost to Switzerland 5-2. Only undefeated teams so far: Sweden, Switzerland and Canada.

Date: December 30, 2014 14:14

I know, no one gives a @#$%&. Canada and Sweden only undefeated teams so far. Team Sweden is looking for the the first position in group B. That way they will be able
to stay in Toronto and will face team number four in group A in the quarterfinals. Preferably Slovakia or Germany. Although Finland is in a very bad position in group A...

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: December 30, 2014 16:11

We give a fQ#@$! in Canada! US is also undefeated and we (Canada) play them on New YEars Eve! Lets go Red n White

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: December 30, 2014 16:49

GO CANADA

Date: January 1, 2015 16:02

So, time for quarterfinals. They will all take place tomorrow like this (local time):

- 13:00 USA - Russia [ (50/50)
- 15:00 Sweden - Finland [ (55/45)
- 17:00 Czechia - Slovakia [ (55/45)
- 19:00 Canada - Denmark [ (95/05)

My guess on respective teams chances to qualify aside

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 2, 2015 21:33

Okay, let's take this thread up. I haven't followed the games so far because they don't show the games in a free channel here in Finland. But tonight when Finland is going to face Sweden in quarter-finals, I need to find a stream from a net... Who - a Finn or a Swede - can pass that gem?

The problem with Finnish team this year seems to be scoring - just five goals in four matches, zero goal in power-play. Especially the guys who supposed to carry the team, have been a huge disappointment. The best player has been a seventeen years old Mikko Rantanen, from a second line, with his three goals so far. Another guy to follow is the youngest player of the tournament, Jesse Puljujärvi, who, according to reports, has played very strongly (without scoring, though), and will be a big player in future. The goalie, once again, is a strenght of Finland.

Sweden is, of course, a big favorite, they have won all the matches so far, but they were that also in the final last year, and we know what happened.... Sweden usually brings the best out of our guys...

So Stoneage, are you ready?

USA seems to have problems with Russia at the moment...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 21:35 by Doxa.

Date: January 2, 2015 22:13

Yes, Doxa this one is going to be a nailbiter. As always... Sorry about the poor TV situation in Finland. You can watch all important matches on free channels here in Sweden. Now, let's watch the game....

Posted by: bigpond ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:26

Doxa the TV network TSN here in Canada will keep you informed well (currently 3-3 late in second period ). Try www.tsn.ca smileys with beer

Date: January 3, 2015 00:54

Sorry Doxa. Swedes were a bit lucky though with the penalties. Especially the 5-3 ones. We will have to step up in the next round where we will meet Russia who defeated USA today with 3-2.
Canada is basically already in the final if they don't underestimate their opponents.

Date: January 3, 2015 01:35

Congrats to Sweden and Stoneage. It was a good game, and the power play made the difference. Finland couldn't make any goal in power play during the tournament (out of 23 chances or so), which must be some kind of record...

But shit it is hard to follow a hockey game from a stream, at least with the equipment I have...

- Doxa

Date: January 3, 2015 01:37

bigpond
Doxa the TV network TSN here in Canada will keep you informed well (currently 3-3 late in second period ). Try www.tsn.ca smileys with beer

Thanks for the tip, but I found some other source. Cheers!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Date: January 3, 2015 01:45

Really, there should be some kind of law which prohibits gready commercial TV-stations to exploit these tournaments. At least when it comes to national teams. Here in Sweden the TV rights for this one is divided between SVT (public service) and Viasat (TV3 and TV10). All matches can be seen for free. Which is the only sensitive solution in my opinion. (If more people watches you can sell more ads).

Date: January 3, 2015 14:19

I know, no one gives a shit but the semifinals will be played like this tomorrow:

- 16:00 Sweden - Russia (45/55)
- 20:00 Canada - Slovakia (85/15)

My guess on respective teams chances to make it to the final aside

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 3, 2015 14:55

It probably will be Canada vs Russia in the final...the Swedes is a Little untight in the defense...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 5, 2015 01:34

Congrats to Russia, 4-1 against Sweden in the semifinal. Swedes didn't step up to the challenge, regrettably. Good luck to Russia in the final against Canada (most probably).
Swedes will have to play for the bronze medal tomorrow. Except for this game they had a good tournament though. Now, I'm hoping for a great final tomorrow...

Date: January 6, 2015 03:45

Go Russia!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:51

Stoneage
Go Russia!

Phthfffft! grinning smiley

Date: January 6, 2015 05:35

Canada wins 5-4!!! Up 5-1 but the Russians get 3 quick goals to make it close.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:37

If Harper takes to the ice, I'm gonna throw up in my mouth...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:41

SomeTorontoGirl
If Harper takes to the ice, I'm gonna throw up in my mouth...

maybe he'll fall on his ass. it would be worth it.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 6, 2015 07:33

Was checking the score at work and got panicked when I saw it go from 5-1 to 5-4. Glad the boys hung on and congratulations to Slovakia on their upset win over Sweden! Now to watch the highlights.

Posted by: leftybill ()
Date: January 6, 2015 10:11

It was a great game - the Russians capitalized on the opportunities they had in the 2nd - Canada started superbly with 2 quick goals - great saves at both ends - the best part was the terrific flow of play and few whistles - terrific entertainment.

Date: January 6, 2015 16:06

Congratulations to Canada. Although I rooted for Russia: They are such elegant players and very sportsmanlike. Even though they often have everything against them
(the audience and the referees) they hardly never complain. Canada is a very efficient and opportunistic team. They lack the Russian grandeur though. But all kudos to them.
First of all they have a winning mentality. Which often pays off. Like it did yesterday. And almost any day...

Swedes were a disappointment. Their fuel kind of dried up when they were facing the important matches. Congrats to Slovakia for their first medal ever.

Date: January 6, 2015 16:16

Swedes price must be to get the video of the final match so they see how hockey is played effectively, namely Canada's way ...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 6, 2015 16:36

I only wish we could have senior hockey world championships arranged like this every year. With these great settings and the best teams possible from every nation.
That would be something! (Of course it never happens due to the NHL which drags on forever. Which is very sad for fans of national hockey).

Date: January 6, 2015 18:46

Stoneage
I only wish we could have senior hockey world championships arranged like this every year. With these great settings and the best teams possible from every nation.
That would be something! (Of course it never happens due to the NHL which drags on forever. Which is very sad for fans of national hockey).

But on the other hand, it makes Olympic Games to a hideously valuable tournament..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: January 6, 2015 20:02

I was at the Canada-US game on New Year's Eve. Great game and a great atmosphere! Happy Canada broke that 6 year streak of no gold medals!

Date: January 6, 2015 22:55

Hi Stoneage. For North American players, the Stanley Cup is their main goal. The World Championships is big in Europe and for European NHL players, but for North Americans, it means your team isn't playing or has been eliminated in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Most will attend if invited, but there are those star players that decline due to exhaustion from the long NHL season and playoffs.
Alot of younger players will accept because the GM's that will choose the next Olympic teams want to evaluate how they do in international competition. Declining an invite could potentially hurt their chances at a spot on the Olympic team.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2989
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home