Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Strictly Memphis
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 13, 2015 13:12

Yeah never thought of it like that Rocky but true enough. I would have been happy for it to make it on, keep HS and ditch BTZ. Oh well. Long time ago now smoking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 13, 2015 13:13

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, that's a good one indeed. It was posted here some years ago. Haven't heard it since.

Are you possibly referring to the shorter ~3'40" circulating outtake of SM ? I suspect Matthijs is discussing an "uncirculated" version, in the same way that the Jagger PC demos he says are on that same tape are "uncirculated"...if not we would probably have heard them too by now.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 13, 2015 13:17

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, that's a good one indeed. It was posted here some years ago. Haven't heard it since.

Are you possibly referring to the shorter ~3'40" circulating outtake of SM ? I suspect Matthijs is discussing an "uncirculated" version, in the same way that the Jagger PC demos he says are on that same tape are "uncirculated"...if not we would probably have heard them too by now.

I might be, but the version I heard didn't sound like the Stones's version. It was more slick and well-produced, and I understood that Beck played on it.

Date: January 13, 2015 14:39

Weird, never heard of a version of SM with Jeff Beck on it and I have a pretty close ear to the ground when it comes to outtakes. But of course you have to be ready to learn something new everyday and Matthijs' reference to that Jagger PC demo take with a drum machine and a finished SM was also news to me.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 13, 2015 18:45

I feel compelled to respond to this, as I was born in Memphis.

I do not like it at all. Jagger's words are impossible to understand. He seems to be singing with a mouthful of oatmeal. This song goes on and on forever. It is easy to see why it was never released .

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 13, 2015 20:13

There's a Don Covay vocal version as well, isn't there?

This tune is righteous. Would've improved Dirty Work dramatically.
It should have been finished. A real gem.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 13, 2015 23:36

Here's the version Gotdablouse is talking about...

[www.youtube.com]

Mistakenly titled "Step On It" by bootleggers, this is the most finished circulating version, though the quality on this version isn't terrific.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 13, 2015 23:45

OzHeavyThrobber
Yeah never thought of it like that Rocky but true enough. I would have been happy for it to make it on, keep HS and ditch BTZ. Oh well. Long time ago now smoking smiley

Hot Stuff and Back To Zero?
What are you talking about? Is it too much for you to type the title of a song?
I'm getting more and more tired of PPTITFLOAGSF also.

Date: January 13, 2015 23:55

RTB, this is the DW sessions, not BAB. Wrong HS, pal.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 14, 2015 08:50

Not a big loss that it didn't make DIRTY WORK. Or let's say, the album wouldn't be any more memorable/tolerable had it included this 'lost gem'.

Could have been a nice B-side to "Harlem Shuffle" though, to continue the theme.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-14 08:52 by Doxa.

Date: January 14, 2015 09:17

I thought "Had It With You" was the perfect B-side. They fit with their retro sound. Made me think at the time the LP was going to be very Stray Cats. Of course, those two tracks are nothing like the rest of the album. Over time, I still love both of those songs as well as Keith's two and the much-maligned "Back to Zero" is now preferable to the rockers or "Winning Ugly" to my ears. "Back to Zero" is a good funk number and the bridge is very nice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 14, 2015 10:28

Rocky Dijon
I thought "Had It With You" was the perfect B-side. They fit with their retro sound. Made me think at the time the LP was going to be very Stray Cats. Of course, those two tracks are nothing like the rest of the album. Over time, I still love both of those songs as well as Keith's two and the much-maligned "Back to Zero" is now preferable to the rockers or "Winning Ugly" to my ears. "Back to Zero" is a good funk number and the bridge is very nice.

Yeah, "Had It With You" was a perfect B-side. I think it essentially is B-side material, and I think quite telling in my book is that it actually turned out to be one of the best tracks in the album. Not that it being such a memorable tune per se (by Stonesian terms), but unfortunately, it didn't take too much in that context to shine...

Yeah, true that the single didn't quite give a 'right' picture of the album to come. Stray Cats? I thought that phase - having a slight rock-a-billy influence, especially in guitar sound - was gone through from 1980 to 1982.

- Doxa

Date: January 14, 2015 10:41

Rocky Dijon

+1

And let me add that Keith and Bobby's guitar playing on BTZ is like a bag of candy. Lots of good stuff.

I remember when I picked up the single in 1986. Had It With You was the song that I loved instantly. Of course it was mis-leading for what to come. But, hey, so what? smiling smiley

Date: January 14, 2015 11:04

Rocky Dijon
Here's the version Gotdablouse is talking about...

[www.youtube.com]

Mistakenly titled "Step On It" by bootleggers, this is the most finished circulating version, though the quality on this version isn't terrific.

Thanks, yes that's the ~3'40" version, sounds like a jam so probably not the one that's on the demo tape mentioned by Matthijs that Mick gave to his musicians for PC...

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-14 11:16 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 9, 2015 09:58

Just bumped into an old copy the "Sticky Fingers" magazine with an article by ChrisM about "Strictly Memphis" and he insists that it was started with Jeff Beck during the Rotterdam Jan/Feb 1975 sessions in Rotterdam as heard on the circulating tapes. Does anyone see to which track he might be referring to?

--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home