Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Taylor interview on stone boots
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 24, 2005 13:01

Mick Taylor Interview
Q: Someone asked me whether in your soloing especially with the Stones in that context whether you really had anything planned out in advance or whether each journey was . . . MT: No, no I didn't really. You mean on-stage, or in the studio or both? Q: On-stage for example, the song Gimme Shelter, almost each version is its own work of art and every note has a purpose . . . MT: Me and Keith never had anything planned, we used to switch from rhythm to lead, back and forth, we didn't really have a set pattern, which made it so good, I think. Q: I know we all lament the fact that the '72 live album never came out. Have you ever thought about how that would have changed how people perceived you? MT: Well, I'm not sure really, because, let's face it, there are some people that do want to hear Rolling Stones stuff, live bootlegs, I mean there's so much stuff out there that's available. Some of which is really well recorded and sounds really good. Q: Have you ever had opportunity to listen to any of your tapes from the old days? MT: Oh yes. I've probably heard most of them actually. I mean, there's even bootleg albums that are outtakes of studio sessions, stuff like that. Q; People debate the merits of each different track on those bootlegs, it's become a real cottage industry. MT: It certainly is. And it's universal too. It's all over the world. For some reason in Germany and Japan in particular, there are so many different bootlegs, on CD as well. Q: I wanted to ask you one question about the live performance with Carla Olson, because you performed Sway . . . MT: Oh yeah, I love that particular version. That is the way I would have always liked to have played it if we had have played it in the Rolling Stones on stage, but of course we never did. Q: To play [Sway] do you need a second guitar and some more instrumentation in your band? MT: Well you do need two guitars. 'cause you need one guitar in open tuning to play the "dah-dum-dah-da". In fact it was Mick Jagger that played rhythm guitar on that track.
Interview with Mick Taylor June 25, 1995; copyright 1995 by Garnet Net Events, Inc. all rights reserved

Re: Taylor interview on stone boots
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: June 24, 2005 13:15

I would like to know what he really thinks when he listens back to the numerous boots of the 70's ..what does he feel ?
does he still have any regrets ?
does he feel sad ?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 24, 2005 15:52

He feels proud!

- and I'm sure he was pleased with his backing band and vocalist in those days too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-24 16:02 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: June 24, 2005 17:23

Cool interview! I have a friend who recently pointed out how Taylor played a different solo each night of the 72 tour for YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT. The boots make it possible to appreciate those solos now. I think Mick made Keith sound better as well, not that Keith doesn't sound great already. BUt I think it made Keith play better when he had a great guitarist like Taylor to bounce off of ... whether Keith will admit it or not.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 24, 2005 18:09

He will not. He will continue to assert that there is some lively working interaction between himself and Ronnie. Well, there has occasionally been on occasions, e.g.'81. But less in 30 years with Ronnie than in 5 years with Taylor.

ps have there ever been any comparisons made between Wood and Taylor on this board?

Date: June 24, 2005 18:13

I agree there was real guitar INTERPLAY with Taylor in 5 years then with
Woody for 30 years.Keith masked the stones SOUND without taylor with the
whole weaving concept he always spins in the guitar magazines.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 24, 2005 19:13

Where does this interview come from OpenG? I haven't read this one!

Date: June 24, 2005 19:55

Hi Chris

Over at the taylorites site www.micktaylor.net go to
HOT NEWS and then click on micktaylor.comarchieves

Always good to share Taylor stuff and keep his name ALIVE the glimmers are
rich and famous and get plenty of INK

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 24, 2005 22:25

Indeed! Thanks for the info. May your vibrato always sing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home