Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Drum Advice Needed
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 6, 2014 06:20

I am a lifelong musician (guitar and bass) and have decided to take up drums. Need advice on a good beginner's set. My drumming idols are Charlie, Ringo, Pete Thomas, etc....not any hard rock guys. John Lennon Plastic Ono band is my favorite album for drum sounds, so you get the idea of my tastes. Any recommendations for snares/cymbals/sets would be appreciated. Intent is to play on my own recordings, rather than play in bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-06 06:20 by 71Tele.

Re: OT: Drum Advice Needed
Date: November 6, 2014 06:56

my advice.
paiste cymbals
remo drum heads
ludwig kit but keep the ludwig heads on the bass drum
ludwig sticks

some people will tell you zildjian cymbals but i always thought paiste have a better sound and last longer.

if you don't have money to frankenstein everything all together right now just buy a ludwig kit and everything and when you have money change the drum heads, etc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-06 07:00 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: November 6, 2014 07:07

funny i just looked without knowing for sure but carl palmer also recommends ludwig drums, remo heads and paiste cymbals. he recommend pro-mark sticks though. you can research and see what drummers like what gear.

ginger baker also used ludwig kits.

charlie watts uses remo drum heads but prefers gretsch kits and zildjian cymbals with vic firth sticks.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 6, 2014 07:11

Can't go wrong with a new Ludwig kit. They are amazingly affordable these days. I'd advise to start with the cymbals that come with the kit and upgrade the ones whose sound you are not happy with.

The way you mic and record the drums will probably have a much greater effect on the sound of your finished product than the brand of cymbals. And although Charlie might disagree, don't be scared to tune the drums to get notes which resonate well with the other drums and your ear. Good luck.
peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-06 07:18 by Naturalust.

Date: November 6, 2014 08:59

Appreciate the advice. Heard a lot of good things about old Ludwig snares, and their new sets as well. My problem is I am a sucker for vintage gear (all my guitars are vintage) but don't want to spend too much on drums.

Date: November 6, 2014 09:36

71Tele
Appreciate the advice. Heard a lot of good things about old Ludwig snares, and their new sets as well. My problem is I am a sucker for vintage gear (all my guitars are vintage) but don't want to spend too much on drums.

Thankfully the vintage drum market isn't quite as absurd as the vintage guitar market. If drum kits looked good hanging on the wall you'd be in trouble.

Check this sweetie out:

[olympic.craigslist.org]

Date: November 6, 2014 10:05

Naturalust
71Tele

Thankfully the vintage drum market isn't quite as absurd as the vintage guitar market. If drum kits looked good hanging on the wall you'd be in trouble.

Check this sweetie out:

[olympic.craigslist.org]

Wow. And close enough to me to drive there and pick them up.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 6, 2014 15:48

My first one was a Premier. I loved that.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 6, 2014 15:56

I play a very small kit, very inexpensive and the sound is pretty good for the price. Premier and Gretch drums mixed (I travel with the Gretch 18" kick, one small premier tom, a premier floor tom, and a 13" Mapex snare). I have the Premier kick (which sounds slightly better/ richer but is heavier for travel) at home with the Gretch toms, for practicing and home recording. There are some nice inexpensive new-ish kits that have a feel of older vintage drums. While I like the sound of, say, a nice old early 70's Slingerland or Rogers kit, I find the sound of the drums I travel with to be satisfactory and the hardware very reliable. When I played older kits, I was constantly dealing with missing parts, stripped lugs, etc. As for cymbals, I have always been a Zildjian guy, but really, just go find stuff you like and cost-wise, I never ever buy new cymbals because they are so incredibly ridiculously over-priced. I hope you find something you like and practice, practice, practice!! The world needs more solid groovers.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 6, 2014 16:04

71 Tele-
keep a lookout on ebay, get a good Rogers or Slingerland or Ludwig, or Gretsch! kit ..if you're thinking vintage..also you probably know a lot of musicians, someone will know someone who has a kit for sale..

80's Japanese kits, like guitars, are also very well made..tend to be bigger drums..get what you want, and don't think they all have to match. a kick drum from Ludwig, a Tama snare..same with cymbals..its all in the vibe and the sound..

get a good hi hat stand that wont make noise, same with kick pedal.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 6, 2014 16:15

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 17:24 by vudicus.

Date: November 6, 2014 17:49

Lots of good ideas here. I think a relatively inexpensive (but good) set is the way to go for until I play a little and figure out what I like. Going shopping this week!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:34

Thats funny, Vudicus.
In mid 70's I bought a Gretch as well - because of Charlie.
Now I have a mixture of DW/ Pearl and a Ludwig snare.

edit I still fondly remember that first Premierwhich was from 69/70 as well.
But like you I tried a few over the years. Been thinking of going back cause the Premier sound was great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 18:40 by CousinC.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:50

I've got a mid-1970s Rogers kit - two toms, floor tom and kick drum. I had a Ludwig snare but somehow I lost it. I sold off my cymbals, which were all Zildjian, of course, and Vic Firth sticks. Once I stopped playing drums for demoing songs I sold off parts of the drum kit.

Supposedly a friend of mine gave me a kick pedal that Charlie Watts used on the 1965 tour or something like that.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:06

DW Drums would be the best choice for the budget-conscious. I have seen three-piece starter kits selling (used) for less than two grand. You can build up from there over time without breaking the bank.

And Neil Peart uses them so you know they can take a pounding.

Date: November 7, 2014 23:27

Anyone checked out the Ludwig Breakbeats set designed by Questlove? I've heard good things about it, and the small size makes it good for my practice space.

Date: November 11, 2014 01:16

OK Tele, don't keep us in suspense....what did you end up buying? Thx.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home