Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Solo Albums - Why the drama?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 2, 2014 01:56

gotdablouse

Getting an album review? I always thought that he meant Mick wanted to give it yet another try after failing twice already, which didn't make that much sense, unless he was referring to a solo tour...

I interpret the "Now you wanna roll the dice" lyric as being either a general reference to Mick's wanting to leave the Stones entirely, and gamble on a solo career, or perhaps more specifically, to Mick's 1988 solo tour, which got under way right about the same time KR was putting the finishing touches on Talk Is Cheap. The "You already crapped out twice" line definitely refers to the failure of Mick's first two solo albums.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 02:06 by tatters.

Date: November 2, 2014 02:20

In many countries, albums are reviewed with the eyes of the dice in the music press. Six being the best, of course, which Mick never got...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:27

At that time they were sick and tired of each other - they neeeded somehow a break.

Keith had done his Run Rudold Run and New Barbarian thing, and worked quite much with Gram Parsons in the late 60'ies early 70'ies....

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:39

tatters
gotdablouse

Getting an album review? I always thought that he meant Mick wanted to give it yet another try after failing twice already, which didn't make that much sense, unless he was referring to a solo tour...

I interpret the "Now you wanna roll the dice" lyric as being either a general reference to Mick's wanting to leave the Stones entirely, and gamble on a solo career, or perhaps more specifically, to Mick's 1988 solo tour, which got under way right about the same time KR was putting the finishing touches on Talk Is Cheap. The "You already crapped out twice" line definitely refers to the failure of Mick's first two solo albums.

I always thought the "You already crapped out twice" was a reference to the expected tours after the two previous Stones albums. But Jagger refused to go on the road after 'Undercover' or 'Dirty Work'.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:46

rumple21
tatters
gotdablouse

I always thought the "You already crapped out twice" was a reference to the expected tours after the two previous Stones albums. But Jagger refused to go on the road after 'Undercover' or 'Dirty Work'.

He already copped out twice? confused smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 2, 2014 03:01

gotdablouse

Yep. Two shitty solo albums. Rolling the dice was obviously Keith's comment about Mick taking his "solo" act on the road, of which he played, what, 3 solo songs?

So he did crap out again, making it 3 times. And then back to the Stones...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 2, 2014 04:49

Because Keith was so worried that Mick would leave him behind, and so he needed to do this crying all over the place... No one else's solo efforts does not mean anything, but Jagger's do, because he actually can do it by his own... Keith knows that, everyone knows that...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 04:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 2, 2014 11:07

Spot on Doxa. He was afraid Jagger would leave Keith and become MJ or Madonna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 11:08 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 2, 2014 18:23

He was afraid Jagger would leave Keith and become MJ or Madonna[/b

And as Keith said Mick was afraid of "heading towards rock and roll nostalgia with the Rolling Stones" . But Keith thought they were still cutting edge.

I'll leave it to you to decide who was right in the end...... peace

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 2, 2014 19:03

Keith was scared about Mick having succes and never coming back.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 2, 2014 20:50

Probably there wasn't a drama at all. They were filthy rich already. It was quite interesting at that time to hear both Jagger and Keith doing their own and Stones stuff with different musicians.

Date: November 2, 2014 21:43

Naturalust
He was afraid Jagger would leave Keith and become MJ or Madonna[/b

And as Keith said Mick was afraid of "heading towards rock and roll nostalgia with the Rolling Stones" . But Keith thought they were still cutting edge.

I'll leave it to you to decide who was right in the end...... peace

grinning smiley

Well, one could say that even though Mick might have had unrealistic thoughts about his solo career, he seemingly grasped the future of the Stones rather well back then... But then again, he probably didn't realize then that how much money there would be in 'rock and roll nostalgia'...

In a way I sympathize the both sides in that 'argument' back then. Mick seemingly didn't believe any longer on the Stones as contemporary, creative unit. Keith did, but you now, was there any substance, but just hoping for the best... Both stances are equally justified.

Jagger's actual stance is difficult to estimate, since he has never admitted wanting to end the Rolling Stones, but it his actions that seemingly leave not much choice in speculation. He was said to negogiate the record deal for his solo records as a part of Rolling Stones record deal 'behind Keith's back', which made Richards angry. Keith also didn't like SHE'S THE BOSS sounding too much Rolling Stones-like - I take that a sign of Keith being afraid that Jagger will continue the Stones by his own. Later, Jagger first refusing to tour DIRTY WORK, then going on promote PRIMITIVE COOL with an 'updated' Stones band full of hot contemporary musicians, playing heavily Stones material, famously didn't make Keith amused either...

To me it looks like that Jagger was playing with double cards... Being careful he is, he didn't straightforwardly call the quits for the Stones; he left that door open - a wise decision indeed - but most likely that upset his bandmates, who were left to wonder what happens next, them being like playing a second fiddle. Keith, who was the most outspoken, claims in LIFE that he felt especially sorry for Charlie. More concrete: Bill Wyman says in ROLLING WITH THE STONES that he and Charlie would like to have performed in LIVE AID, but no matter what Bob Geldof did, Jagger refused. And then, he suddenly did it solo, and not just to promote SHE'S THE BOSS, played two Stones tunes. Not the nicest manouvre.

But like said, Jagger have never admitted anything. His official version simply is that he wanted to do something else for a chance and he never undertand why other people make so big deal about it. Who knows, a selective memory with some arrogance here? - or maybe that is even true, and the reactions of especially Keith are over-exaggerated.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 21:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2014 22:02

Naturalust
He was afraid Jagger would leave Keith and become MJ or Madonna

Madonna!!!! grinning smiley always thought he was more into the league of Rod Stewart and/or Barry Gibb..........

Date: November 2, 2014 22:03

<And then, he suddenly did it solo, and not just to promote SHE'S THE BOSS, played two Stones tunes. Not the nicest manouvre.>

What's wrong with Jagger playing two Stones songs with different musicians? smiling smiley

<But like said, Jagger have never admitted anything. His official version simply is that he wanted to do something else for a chance and he never undertand why other people make so big deal about it. Who knows, a selective memory with some arrogance here? - or maybe that is even true, and the reactions of especially Keith are over-exaggerated.>

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 22:05 by LuxuryStones.

Date: November 2, 2014 22:29

It was more like two solo tunes, not Stones tunes. The setlist was filled with Stones tunes smiling smiley

Date: November 2, 2014 22:45

I'm only a Stones chauvinist when it comes to Mick Taylor - smiling smiley and even then...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 22:50 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 2, 2014 23:11

He wasnt in any league at all but of course he wanted to go for MJ/Madonna/Prince.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2014 23:20

My mistake...I meant he wanted to be into the league...well that's what I felt.............

Date: November 3, 2014 00:06

DandelionPowderman
It was more like two solo tunes, not Stones tunes. The setlist was filled with Stones tunes smiling smiley

Well, "Miss You" and "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" (though only the chorus line on the latter as a medley with "State of Shock")...

- Doxa

Date: November 3, 2014 01:13

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Well, "Miss You" and "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" (though only the chorus line on the latter as a medley with "State of Shock")...

- Doxa

Are we on Live Aid or Mick's solo tour now? confused smiley

Date: November 3, 2014 01:16

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

LIVE AID, waiting for a Dylan set with Keef and Ron...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2014 02:50

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

LIVE AID, waiting for a Dylan set with Keef and Ron...grinning smiley

- Doxa

I bought the Live Aid DVD release a few years ago. The Mick and Dylan performances are a bit cringeworthy. It also contains the bowie/jagger collaboration, yikes.

Queen was stellar however, as was U2 and several others.

Date: November 3, 2014 08:02

treaclefingers

I bought the Live Aid DVD release a few years ago. The Mick and Dylan performances are a bit cringeworthy. It also contains the bowie/jagger collaboration, yikes.

Jagger tries so hard, and Dylan so little...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 3, 2014 08:38

I love both performances, for different reasons smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 3, 2014 08:49

Biggest deal from Live Aid I think is Costello playing 'All you need is love' on electric guitar without band on Wembley Stadium...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 3, 2014 11:16

I think the owner of the timeisonourside website made a good effort to shed light on this
theme by putting together a range of quotes from the WWIII-era: About the twins

Of course quotes are lifted out of context, but it is nice to have a multiple point of view
from people involved.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 3, 2014 13:43

marcovandereijk
I think the owner of the timeisonourside website made a good effort to shed light on this

Of course quotes are lifted out of context, but it is nice to have a multiple point of view
from people involved.

In retrospect it's evident that one of the two main characters rarely talks about those personal things and when he does he uses the most logical and constructive words...

Date: November 3, 2014 13:57

Dreamer
marcovandereijk

from people involved.

In retrospect it's evident that one of the two main characters rarely talks about those personal things and when he does he uses the most logical and constructive words...

Yep...

"The trouble is Keith wants to run the band single-handed... Keith and I disagree about almost everything. I could see it ending in a fight between us onstage in front of thousands".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2014 14:59

marcovandereijk

from people involved.

a great selection of quotes

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2014 15:08

treaclefingers
marcovandereijk

from people involved.

a great selection of quotes

This even better-

6 years ago

(CNN) – John McCain’s daughter Meghan has a message for conservative talk-show host Laura Ingraham: “Kiss my fat ass.”

Last week, Ingraham mocked McCain on her radio show after the daughter of former GOP presidential nominee John McCain urged Republicans to seek compromise with Democrats. Ingraham called McCain “a Valley Girl gone awry” and a “plus-sized model.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-03 15:12 by Chris Fountain.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home