Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
No Security - the forgotten gem
Date: October 29, 2014 09:53

I've been listening a lot to this brilliant live album lately, as I recently got it on vinyl. This is imo a neglected live album in the Stones's catalogue.

It's out of print, it's not available on Spotify and I'm not sure if it's on iTunes either.

The new songs off B2B are absolutely magnificent. Same with Sister Morphine, Live With Me and Waiting On A Friend. The only so so tracks are GS and Respectable, imo. Even YGMR rocks here!

A great live album that showed the latter day Stones on par with their best work, imo. It deserves more appreciation. Amen!

Re: No Security - the forgotten gem
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2014 10:06

I need to admit that I haven't listened the album for ages...

- Doxa

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 29, 2014 10:16

I think it deserves a lot more appreciation, maybe the cover killed it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 29, 2014 10:40

DandelionPowderman

It's out of print, it's not available on Spotify and I'm not sure if it's on iTunes either.

Yes, it's out of print and not available on iTunes, Qobuz, Google Play. It's available on Amazon, of course as used item as well.

Imho the RS website shows the comment "The album is currently unavailable but will be reissued later this year." since two years now ....

MKjan

I think it deserves a lot more appreciation, maybe the cover killed it.

Maybe the cover could for a reissue use this one as central element:

Btw here a Thread from last year about 'No Security': [www.iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 11:20 by Irix.

Date: October 29, 2014 12:28

Forgotten gem....mnnnnn....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:44

TITNight and OOC are superb! thumbs up

Date: October 29, 2014 12:53

emotionalbarbecue
Forgotten gem....mnnnnn....

It's good that you remember it winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 29, 2014 13:21

<<maybe the cover killed it.>>

I blame Dave Matthews.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 29, 2014 13:32

The main problem I have with NS, and LL for what matters, is that it essentially is a compilation of live songs that has nothing to do with the flow of the concert. All this in an era in which so many complete shows are available as boots in great quality. When I pick up a live recording I want to experience - or remember - an actual concert.

Maybe NS is exactly what many "set list moaners" would like to get at a real show. But for me, as a show, the flow is not exactly exciting. It's entertaining at the best.

All that said, there sure are some great performances there. Out of control and thief of the night are outstanding. Shelter is good too.

I agree that respectable is so so.

C

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 13:35

I agree with DP - great souvenir of the great BtB tour, of which I saw 5 shows, in 5 countries. Saint of Me and Out of Control were definite highlights.

I'm pretty sure some of the shows I attended featured in the album. I'm fairly sure 'The Last Time' was from Paris. Mick addressing the Chorzow crowd in Polish follwed by screams is also in there. Anyone have a song by song list of whcih shows they're taken from ?

My shows :

Paris 25.7.98

Chorzow, Poland 14.8.98

Maliveld, Den Haag, NL, 5.9.98

As the album was released in late 1998 these 2 definitely did not feature :

Edinburgh 4.6.99

Wembley 12.6.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 29, 2014 13:48

liddas
The main problem I have with NS, and LL for what matters, is that it essentially is a compilation of live songs that has nothing to do with the flow of the concert. All this in an era in which so many complete shows are available as boots in great quality. When I pick up a live recording I want to experience - or remember - an actual concert.

Maybe NS is exactly what many "set list moaners" would like to get at a real show. But for me, as a show, the flow is not exactly exciting. It's entertaining at the best.

All that said, there sure are some great performances there. Out of control and thief of the night are outstanding. Shelter is good too.

C

A very valid point, but that goes for all their live albums except for their from the vault-releases. Not even Ya Yas has that "show-flow".

I totally agree, though. Nothing is better than getting a show, hearing it as it was performed.

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: October 29, 2014 13:50

In the package, it is said that songs were recorded during the shows in Amsterdam, Nuremburg, Saint-Louis (PPW show) and Buenos Aires + MTV Live From the 10 Spot.

Date: October 29, 2014 14:03

According to Blue Lena the tracks are taken from these shows:

- Amsterdam Arena, Holland
- River Plate Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Zepplinfield Nuremberg, Germany
- TWA Dome St. Louis, Missouri
- MTV's Live At The 10 Spot.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 29, 2014 14:07

No Security is a very good Album from a brilliant tour indeed, it was the last time they really promoted a new Album. I have great Stones memories from that time.

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: October 29, 2014 14:21

Love the inclusion of Corinna with Taj Mahal

Date: October 29, 2014 14:21

UnpurePurist
Love the inclusion of Corinna with Taj Mahal

+1

Date: October 29, 2014 14:41

DandelionPowderman
According to Blue Lena the tracks are taken from these shows:

- Amsterdam Arena, Holland
- River Plate Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Zepplinfield Nuremberg, Germany
- TWA Dome St. Louis, Missouri
- MTV's Live At The 10 Spot.

Wow, you truly are a font of knowledge DP! The St Louis show was used for the live Video/DVD of the tour so I guessed a lot of tracks from that were used. The Tak Mahal song is definitely from there. I have the full Paris show from 25/7/98 on an excellent recording which is a great souvenir of that show, my 1st ever outside the UK. The Polish gig was broadcast on TV there 2 weeks later and friends of mine recorded it for me.

Last European tour with cheap tickets - Poland £14, France £40 and Netherlands £30... My 2 UK shows the next year were only £30 too. I was right up front for Edinburgh (No FoS and appalling security).

Changed days.... but still, glad they're still around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:02

grzegorz67
Anyone have a song by song list of whcih shows they're taken from?

From www.nzentgraf.de

981102A 2nd November: THE ROLLING STONES.
CD ‘No Security’ (Virgin CDV 2880). Producers: The Glimmer Twins.
Sound engineer: Ed Cherney. Recorded live on the Bridges To Babylon World Tour and mixed at various studios. Some edits and overdubs were done at LesStudio Davout, Paris, France 22nd -24th June 1998.
- You Got Me Rocking (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 6.7.98
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -Port Chester 25.10.97
- Flip The Switch (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 1.7.98
- Memory Motel (MJ/KR) -Dave Matthews on vocals; Amsterdam 5.7.98
- Corinna (Taj Mahal/Jesse Ed Davis) -Taj Mahal on vocals; St. Louis 12.12.97
- Saint Of Me (MJ/KR) -Buenos Aires 4.4.98
- Waiting On A Friend (MJ/KR) -Joshua Redman on sax; St. Louis 12.12.97
- Sister Morphine (MJ/KR/Marianne Faithfull) -Amsterdam 6.7.98
- Live With Me (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 1.7.98
- Respectable (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 5.7.98
- Thief In The Night (MJ/KR/Pierre de Beauport) -Leah Wood on backing vocals, Pierre de Beauport on electric piano; Nuremberg 13.6.98
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) -St. Louis 12.12.97
- Out Of Control (MJ/KR) -Jimmy Starbuck on shaker; Buenos Aires 4.4.98

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:23

DandelionPowderman
I've been listening a lot to this brilliant live album lately, as I recently got it on vinyl. This is imo a neglected live album in the Stones's catalogue.

The new songs off B2B are absolutely magnificent. Same with Sister Morphine, Live With Me and Waiting On A Friend. The only so so tracks are GS and Respectable, imo. Even YGMR rocks here!

A great live album that showed the latter day Stones on par with their best work, imo. It deserves more appreciation. Amen!

I agree, i love this cd.

Date: October 29, 2014 15:32

Like most live albums, the song order bears no resemblance to an actual gig (as someone said previously) and they are usually laden with overdubs and polished up a lot. I personally prefer to hear it for real, warts, bum notes and all.

Still, this ones always a pleasant listen for me.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:33

Another case of albums that seem to suffer not from the material that's on there but from the material that's missing:

The idea of a live album not focusing on the warhorses, but "rarer" live tracks is well-meant, but the omission of tracks like "Little Queenie" (a tour highlight plus a new, fast arrangement compared to YaYas), She's A Rainbow, Crazy Mama -just to name a few- really spoils it for me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:40

I concur...this was a great album when it was released.

I've been guilty of not listening to it in years.

They also stopped vinyl releases after this (40 Licks, Live Licks, Shine A Light) coming back with ABB.

Nice to see the revival in vinyl.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:40

I used to listen a lot to the the Last Time.
I loved the guitar work when the LP was issued.

Date: October 29, 2014 15:41

alimente
Another case of albums that seem to suffer not from the material that's on there but from the material that's missing:

The idea of a live album not focusing on the warhorses, but "rarer" live tracks is well-meant, but the omission of tracks like "Little Queenie" (a tour highlight plus a new, fast arrangement compared to YaYas), She's A Rainbow, Crazy Mama -just to name a few- really spoils it for me.

Yeah, they could easily have made it a double album.

However, I'm not sure if the performances of Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow in particular were good enough for a release.

I'm not sure if it's suffereing from anything, though. Maybe in sales - but the quality is top notch, imo.

Sister Morphine is excellent!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:43

stonehearted
<<maybe the cover killed it.>>

I blame Dave Matthews.

Yep, good call.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 29, 2014 16:07

They could use the Memory Motel promo CD cover for a reissue :

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 29, 2014 16:10

DandelionPowderman
alimente

However, I'm not sure if the performances of Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow in particular were good enough for a release.

I'm not sure if it's suffereing from anything, though. Maybe in sales - but the quality is top notch, imo.

Well, they doctor here and they doctor there, so with a bit of doctoring on Rainbow and Crazy Mama they could have cleaned the rough edges of these tracks as well.

I agree that even YGMR sounds absolutely fantastic here.

However, the commercial outcome of NS was disappointing to say the least, I seem to recall that in the UK, they sold roughly only between 900 to 1000 copies in the first week after release! Surely must have been given Mick a hint that the commercial appeal of projects that were aimed more or less at their hardcore fan base is actually quite limited.

Date: October 29, 2014 16:24

alimente
DandelionPowderman
alimente

Well, they doctor here and they doctor there, so with a bit of doctoring on Rainbow and Crazy Mama they could have cleaned the rough edges of these tracks as well.

I agree that even YGMR sounds absolutely fantastic here.

However, the commercial outcome of NS was disappointing to say the least, I seem to recall that in the UK, they sold roughly only between 900 to 1000 copies in the first week after release! Surely must have been given Mick a hint that the commercial appeal of projects that were aimed more or less at their hardcore fan base is actually quite limited.

Agreed. And live albums in general weren't really popular anymore in the late 90s

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2014 16:36

liddas

C

LL? What's that?

Date: October 29, 2014 16:42

GasLightStreet
liddas

C

LL? What's that?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home