Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Neighbours
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 25, 2014 21:25

[www.youtube.com]

The studio version of Neighbours was awful, with the drums banging away too loudly and with no personality or uniqueness. Charlie dropped the ball on this one, but overall he is certainly one of the best rock drummers in the world. But this version of Neighbours, from the Forty Licks small theatre venue in Paris, France, is actually quite good. Keith's guitar work is great and Charlie carries the beat well, without overdoing it.

What do you think?

Re: Neighbours
Date: October 25, 2014 22:01

It's ok, but nowhere near the 81/82 live versions or the original, imo.

I like it better when Keith plays the rhythm and Ronnie takes the lead on this one.

Did they play it in a different key at the Olympia?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 25, 2014 22:32

flilflam

The studio version of Neighbours was awful, with the drums banging away too loudly and with no personality or uniqueness. Charlie dropped the ball on this one, but overall he is certainly one of the best rock drummers in the world.

It is a brilliant song. Charlie is not one of the best drummers in the world but a very good one.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 25, 2014 23:02

I really love this version - thanks for posting. I love what and how Keith is playing - and Mick's
vibe on it. For me, the 1981 live versions (and I am not a live Stones expert, at all) tend to be
too manic/frantic and any nuances of the song are lost.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 25, 2014 23:13

DandelionPowderman
It's ok, but nowhere near the 81/82 live versions or the original, imo.

I like it better when Keith plays the rhythm and Ronnie takes the lead on this one.

Did they play it in a different key at the Olympia?

The original version is in E. I'm pretty sure the Olympia one is in C.

The Stones haven't got too many in the catalog where they've moved the live arrangement to a lower key in their later years. By contrast, about half of the 2007 Led Zep reunion show was rearranged to lower keys to accommodate Robert Plant.

There are of course others that were in other keys in the original versions, but that they've always played live in B for whatever reason, such as It's Only Rock 'n' Roll and Street Fighting Man.

Date: October 26, 2014 00:01

It's Only Rock'N'Roll has also (briefly) been played in G.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2014 00:35

The studio version is awesome. The mix makes Charlie sound funny - no cymbals until the last bit of the song but it kicks. One of my faves. Live they've never done it very well, and that Licks tour version is borderline boring ala Respectable.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2014 01:34

Pretty good high energy rock and roll. I like it. I think Mick's vocals and lyrics are a bit too simplistic for my taste and are the weak point of the tune. Nothing wrong with Charlie here, imho. peace

Date: October 26, 2014 01:53

Being a drummer, I enjoy the studio version, as well as most live versions because of the drums...Come to think of it, my opinion might be slightly biased! Regardless, any version is better than that awful 'Black Limousine'! Can't stand that three second intro!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 26, 2014 12:25

swiss
I really love this version - thanks for posting. I love what and how Keith is playing - and Mick's
vibe on it. For me, the 1981 live versions (and I am not a live Stones expert, at all) tend to be
too manic/frantic and any nuances of the song are lost.

I have the same problem with 1981 versions as well. The band rocks like hell but the nuances are lost, so the outcome tends to be a bit too busy and autopilot-like. Sounds like they are playing a bit too fast for their liking, losing some of their best features (unlike, say, in 1973 when they were able handle the speed). The same is with some other numbers in that tour ("Let Me Go" comes to mind firstly). They seem to have that tendency in regards to their recent rocker material. Anyway, that is the unique charm of that particular tour, and it gives a distinct identity into it.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-26 12:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 26, 2014 16:22

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Being a drummer, I enjoy the studio version, as well as most live versions because of the drums...Come to think of it, my opinion might be slightly biased! Regardless, any version is better than that awful 'Black Limousine'! Can't stand that three second intro!

Yes- Concerning Neighbors, drums differentiate the superior studio sound from live versions. Another song that falls into this school of thought is Get Off of my Cloud. Drums on studio version are pronounced. The extended drumm rolls are the heart of GOOMC and are omitted from concerts.

Live versions are not bad - just sayin-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-26 16:33 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 26, 2014 17:49

What? The studio version of Neighbours ... "awful"!?

That version is an essay on perfection in rock and roll. It can't get better than that. The guitar sound, the drums, the bass, the sax ---

I agree that the 81 version was slightly too fast (but it is hard not to get excited when playing this one) - 2003, well, not bad, but it was almost another song.

C

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 26, 2014 18:36

I think too many people, some of my friends probably, base a lot of the 81 tour on the horribly sped Lets Spend the Night Together movie. Its on tv all the time and yes that version is frantic. But many versions from that tour of Neighbors and Let Me Go are incredible. Tight band blasting on all cylinders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home