Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT RIP Jack Bruce
Date: October 26, 2014 10:58

Oh man, this is so sad. I was JUSt listening to "Songs for a Tailor", and then saw his name come up in different threads about having passed on. I came here to see if others had heard. What a great, uncompromising musician.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 26, 2014 11:38

So sad to hear!

Personally, I had my upbringing into rock music during the phase when back to basic and 'let us just rock and have fun' was the norm (punk, then the Stones and roots thing), so the 'musician's musicians' stuff, the whole progressive, jazz-influenced, technically demanding serious form of rock from the late 60's to mid 70's was 'uncool'. Jimi Hendrix was the exception, but even the Cream sounded a bit lame and pretentious to my ears. However, even a biased idiot like me was able to recognize the talent and importance of Jack Bruce, who was the king of the hill of that scene, even though actually liking him stuff was for long not in my grasp. Thankfully, I am not any longer so stubborn and one-sided..

I watched the clip of Jack Bruce Band, and first time ever I need to say I enjoyed a lot when listening it. There is so much uncompromised purity and musical ambition there that it is simply impressive. 'Our' Taylor seem to be also very much at home there, and his decision to leave the Stones for that sounds natural and even logical. A shame that the band never took off. There was a potentia for 70's Cream.

Bruce was a restless soul, not the easiest person to get along with I've heard, but let him rest in peace now... Wait a minute, there are folks like Jimi there, so I'm not so sure about that... There is at least a cool jam waiting for him.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-26 11:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 26, 2014 13:26

I am absolutely shocked. He was only 71 years young. I am lucky and happy that I saw him 3 years ago. Amazing musician. R.I.P.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 26, 2014 14:51

The soul of Cream. Shine on. RIP.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 26, 2014 18:31

A little acoustic piece that Clapton has posted, titled "For Jack":

[clyp.it]

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: October 26, 2014 18:46

The Allman Brothers paid a fitting tribute in their third to last show.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-26 18:47 by bbeliko.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: October 26, 2014 19:37

RIP Jack Bruce

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 26, 2014 21:52

Very sad news, indeed. 71 is too young to die. Just bought The Best of Cream cd which I thoroughly enjoy. But for awhile, at least, I may not want to listen to it

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 27, 2014 00:44

I was lucky enough and very privileged to see Jack Bruce in 2005 from 2 rows back at the Royal Albert Hall for the Cream reunion. I went thinking I'd spend most of my time watching Eric Clapton's guitar work and was instead mesmerised by a stellar performance on bass. I couldn't believe what the guy was doing. A true Legend indeed.

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:07

Bellajane
Very sad news, indeed. 71 is too young to die. Just bought The Best of Cream cd which I thoroughly enjoy. But for awhile, at least, I may not want to listen to it
He did pretty well considering he had a liver transplant in 2003.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:38

That's ironic that Mick Taylor played with him briefly because on Oct 11, 2013 in a Rolling Stone Magazine interview, Bruce said " I won't go within 10 miles of a Stones gig", going on to say the Stones were mediocre musicians...
I recall being so pissed off at Bruce for taking such pot shots at a band that has been filling stadiums for over 50 years and are obviously beloved. I never could understand why he said that. What was in it for him at that stage of his life, to be so unkind to ANY fellow musicians, let alone the Stones.
I wish that I hadn't read that interview because I loved his music. And I am sorry that he passed, especially at 71. Not that old by todays' standards. It is just that I can't put that interview out of my mind and with his passing, so many tributes by Stones fans...I wonder if Stones fans had read the interview and remembered his bitterness and bile that he aimed at our Boys would they be so generous in their tributes. I guess some will be more able to separate his monster talent from his unkind words.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:43

mickschix
That's ironic that Mick Taylor played with him briefly because on Oct 11, 2013 in a Rolling Stone Magazine interview, Bruce said " I won't go within 10 miles of a Stones gig", going on to say the Stones were mediocre musicians...
I recall being so pissed off at Bruce for taking such pot shots at a band that has been filling stadiums for over 50 years and are obviously beloved. I never could understand why he said that. What was in it for him at that stage of his life, to be so unkind to ANY fellow musicians, let alone the Stones.
I wish that I hadn't read that interview because I loved his music. And I am sorry that he passed, especially at 71. Not that old by todays' standards. It is just that I can't put that interview out of my mind and with his passing, so many tributes by Stones fans...I wonder if Stones fans had read the interview and remembered his bitterness and bile that he aimed at our Boys would they be so generous in their tributes. I guess some will be more able to separate his monster talent from his unkind words.
I think you're confusing him with Ginger Baker![www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:45

bbeliko, thanks so much for the ABB tribute.

wish I woulda caught Mr. Bruce live. RIP, one of the greats.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:47

He blasted a different band: [www.contactmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-27 01:49 by Milan.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 27, 2014 02:02

bbeliko
The Allman Brothers paid a fitting tribute in their third to last show.

[www.youtube.com]

That was soo sweet! Thx for the post. Those guys know a thing or two about guitar tone. A great tribute to Mr. Bruce. peace

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 27, 2014 02:11

BONDDM, you are absolutely right, my apologies. It WAS Ginger Baker! I feel better, actually! I didn't like having such nasty thoughts about Jack! I can direct those thoughts to the REAL " villain!"

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 27, 2014 02:31

tatters
stonehearted
There was supposed to have been a Cream reunion tour either last year or this year. According to Bruce, they had all agreed to do it but then Baker did or said something to upset Clapton, so plans were cancelled.

Details and Jack Bruce 2014 interview at: [www.theguardian.com]

Difficult to see how any recent attempt at a Cream reunion could have survived even the first rehearsal, once Eric got a good look at Ginger in his current condition.

Agreed. Ginger couldn't possibly do a two-hour show nowadays. He is, by his own admission, "a sick old man." When I saw him in June, he could only get through an 80-minute show by taking a 10-minute break at the midpoint. He's got pretty bad COPD.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 27, 2014 03:12

So sad.

Just this afternoon I was practicing "White Room" for a gig I've got on Halloween. Thinking of how cool his line was.

Thanks Jack. R.I.P.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 27, 2014 12:45

r.i.p. Jack Bruce !!!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 27, 2014 12:53

RIP Jack Bruce. Condolances to the family.

I have enjoyed many years of your music.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 27, 2014 14:10

Taylor was not the only Rolling Stone Mick Bruce was cooking something with... Here with Jagger, and produced by another genious who have been way, way too long now out there:

- Doxa

Date: October 27, 2014 14:14

Always liked this one.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 27, 2014 14:18

What a shock... And incredibly sad.....

RIP Jack Bruce

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 27, 2014 15:24

DandelionPowderman
Always liked this one.

Yes, a very nice piece with some impressionistic ingredients in there.thumbs up

Bruce began playing the jazz bass in his teens, and won a scholarship to study cello and musical composition at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, while playing in Jim McHarg's Scotsville Jazzband to support himself. The Academy disapproved of its students playing jazz. "They found out," Bruce told Musician correspondent Jim Macnie, "and said 'you either stop, or leave college.' So I left college."

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 27, 2014 17:01

bonddm
Bellajane
He did pretty well considering he had a liver transplant in 2003.

I didn't know that. When I saw him 3 years ago, I thought he looked rather ill, which I now understand better. Still he put on a great almost 2 hour show.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: October 27, 2014 17:37

what a shame, if i remember well, wheels on fire was the first EVER golden album ... a masterpiece for that time.

R.I.P.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 27, 2014 18:53

Really sad.
Jack must have been the first spectacular bass player in rock and pop music.

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: October 28, 2014 02:25

The man left us, his music remains... great bass player and great singer!
Thank you very much Jack!
RIP

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 28, 2014 13:02

Interesting cover by rock power trio WBL ( LeslieWest, Jack Bruce& CorkieLaing) :

[youtu.be]

Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 28, 2014 13:10

In 1988 Howard Stern went to London and on his radio show he had Jack Bruce. Great and funny interview. Jack said that he wasn't getting any "residual"money from the songs he wrote with Cream because Robert Stigwood made the power trio signed a contract that gave those rights to Stigwood!!
Rock and roll,
Mops

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home