Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick's 1979 beard - I demand answers!
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 25, 2014 17:23

stupidguy2
rattler2004
It's called divorce, even for someone who did more than his share of fooling around, no one, and O mean no one who gets married thinks it'll end in divorce...it throws everyone into a tailspin of some sort...he and Bianca were already done, except for the legal proceedings,..which happened after the 78 tour into 1979 and Emotional Rescue was the product of these times....does that make sense?

That's always been my thought as well and I've always been perplexed that people never make the connection.. Ditto for the increased drug use.. I always theorized his divorce from Bianca took more of an emotional toll than many realized. You could see it in his face in that Rolling Stone photo.. He aged about 10 years in that period .
He may be Mick Jagger, but he's also human.

Are you joking here? I mean its not impossible but for you to be perplexed that people don't make the connection is perplexing.

Lets see Mick has been through many breakups and divorces without growing a beard. He actually spilt up with Bianca long before he grew the beard. I have ever known anyone who grew a beard because they got divorced.

Could be you are correct but hardly perplexing that others don't see it that way.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2014 17:26

stanlove
stupidguy2
rattler2004
It's called divorce, even for someone who did more than his share of fooling around, no one, and O mean no one who gets married thinks it'll end in divorce...it throws everyone into a tailspin of some sort...he and Bianca were already done, except for the legal proceedings,..which happened after the 78 tour into 1979 and Emotional Rescue was the product of these times....does that make sense?

That's always been my thought as well and I've always been perplexed that people never make the connection.. Ditto for the increased drug use.. I always theorized his divorce from Bianca took more of an emotional toll than many realized. You could see it in his face in that Rolling Stone photo.. He aged about 10 years in that period .
He may be Mick Jagger, but he's also human.

Are you joking here? I mean its not impossible but for you to be perplexed that people don't make the connection is perplexing.

Lets see Mick has been through many breakups and divorces without growing a beard. He actually spilt up with Bianca long before he grew the beard. I have ever known anyone who grew a beard because they got divorced.

Could be you are correct but hardly perplexing that others don't see it that way.

Well I can see the theory here...but my question is what hair did Bianca grow out? Armpit hair? Leg hair?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 28, 2014 16:13

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 28, 2014 16:28

Growing a beard connecting with getting a divorce. Are people just looking for something to talk about here? People look way into what Mick wrote a song about and many times its about nothing or he can't recall. Maybe someone should ask him why he grew a beard in 1979.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 28, 2014 16:58

I think the explanation from the interview quote, of him not being recognized on the street, as a celebrity thing, is the explanation that actually makes the most sense to me. Although he turns it into a joke about getting thrown out of clubs, he is clearly agreeing with the interviewer's overall premise, although in a funny and roundabout way. Because when Mick Jagger talks about something that's negative or a drag, that's usually when his sarcasm comes out.

When you are a celebrity, on the street or in a club or if you're off on vacation, you only have a few seconds on the street or in a public place, before someone figures out who you are. The beard confuses them and throws them off.

On his days off on tour, Bob Dylan goes walking around town in jogging pants and a sweatshirt. He looks sorta creepy like the Unabomber, and he goes to bookstores and coffee shops and museums and looks at houses for sale, and does very normal stuff. The fact that he goes out in public and doesn't look ANYTHING like stereotypical Bob Dylan, with the polka dot shirt and huge hair and classic sunglasses, this gives him the ability to move around freely. Because it makes people pause that extra few seconds -- and by the time people figure out who he really is, he is already gone.

Same with Jagger and the beard - he could move around New York, take a cab, eat at a restaurant, ride the subway, all kinds of things which he could not normally do in those days, if he looked too much like himself.

Look at any of these pictures. If he walked right past you in 1979, on the street, it's very doubtful most of us would think OH MY GOD IT'S MICK JAGGER. You might think to yourself, "hey, that guy looks like Mick Jagger but with a big beard" and you'd puzzle over it for a few moments, maybe you'd figure it out later at home....but you wouldn't stop him and ask him for an autograph and hang all over him or bother him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 16:59 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 28, 2014 22:00

Oh dear,
Didn't mean to perplex Stan...
I guess I should have used a different word.
Or maybe I took my human behavior and psychology classes too seriously.

'we can all agree there is an inherent apathy in sadness, one that demands neglect for one’s physical appearance. Weight gain, refusal to bathe, and utter sleeplessness go hand-in-hand with the depression beard...'

Haven't you people ever gone through emotional upheaval? Not bathing, not eating...not shaving.
I know we tend to think of Mick is this badass Rock Star, above a general wussiness, but I'm sticking to my theory.
Why is it so hard to believe that divorce affected him? Maybe it hasn't affected you in this way, but even Mad Man Ted Nugent went off the deep end after his first marriage fell apart. It does happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 22:04 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 8, 2014 08:42

<<Facial fuzz and the Stones appear incongruous, and just not right.>>

How very true!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 8, 2014 19:19

the reason for the beard was Mick was undercover of the night

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 8, 2014 22:00

TheGreek
the reason for the beard was Mick was undercover of the night
or maybe preparing to join IS a bit early.eye popping smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 22:53

stonehearted

How very true!

OMG Ronnie looks like the typical 1970's blue movies star!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:05

desertblues68
stonehearted

How very true!

OMG Ronnie looks like the typical 1970's blue movies star!

I think he looks like Bernie from "Weekend at Bernies".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:11

ARRRRRRRR ............Mick looks like "Wolverine" Jackman

ROCKMAN

Date: December 9, 2014 00:24

A man´s face skin with hair is a "No go" in my opinion - Sorry
(Exception: a three day beard, once in a while)

Mick looked ridiculous and old. I was shocked at that time and still am winking smiley

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: December 9, 2014 14:10

Great topic and pics!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 04:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:51 by camper88.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:12

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 10, 2014 22:23

It was the 70's, I guess the Chris Christopherson look was in.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 11, 2014 04:12

TWO PLUS TWO IS FOUR!!!!!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 12, 2014 01:26

In case it hasn't been posted in this thread, here's bearded Mick on video :

- dud was pretty cool and relaxed at the time too!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 01:27 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home