Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones outtake: "It's a Lie" what's its backstory?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 11, 2014 00:12

runaway
A master tape of the Rolling Stones outtake, "It's A Lie," recorded but never released during the sessions for their "Undercover" album. We obtained this from the late great Art Collins, former head of Rolling Stones Records. Collins' letter of authenticity describes how this track was recorded by the band during sessions booked for the band under the pseudonym "Fall Fire". This rough mix tape was made for the band's review, but it wasn't used for the album. The box is dated 3/20/81. Collins' letter is quite descriptive, noting that "during this period there was a lot of bad attitudes flying around within the band." A unique Stones collectible with impeccable provenance.

[recordmecca.com]

Wow, nice find! I'd never heard that story before, Art Collins is incorrect though because they did use an old track for UC, i.e. Cellophane Trousers/Back to the Country for "Too Tough".

Maybe that's the version Videojames has, hopefully he can share it at some point, at least with owners of his book ;-)

Anyway I quite like that song, I remember first hearing it on a tape dub a friend had made for me when the fabulous (for an outtakes fan) Paris Results boots came out in late 93/early 94. Actually I think I remember the very spot I was walking by, odd isn't it!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 11, 2014 16:48

RipThisBone
It's A Lie is a perfect example of The Stones (with Sugar Blue) on the top of their game in 1977-78 in the studio.
So relaxed, well played, loose, improvising, jamming, creating just a great tune.

This period 77-78-79 was magic there are so much unreleased bootleg only tracks known and of course they released SOME GIRLS DELUXE officaly.
One of the best outtakes of that period for me is the song NEVER TOO INTO a great three guitar song with unfinished lyrics.
Would like to post it in this thread, don't know how. Gonna play it now from "Better Results" a nice bootleg by Outsider Bird Records from 1994.

I agree

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: October 11, 2014 19:26

VideoJames
One last thing; I just checked , I have a finished version with a harmonica (sugar Blue) track, track runs 4:21 seconds. Pathe' Marconi Studios, (1978)

Check again the running time, James.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 12, 2014 06:15

LiveAtHidepark
VideoJames
One last thing; I just checked , I have a finished version with a harmonica (sugar Blue) track, track runs 4:21 seconds. Pathe' Marconi Studios, (1978)

I Checked, I have 3 takes of this track one runs 4:41 another 5:02 but both of these takes are very raw and not finished for release. My 4:21 is a finished master copy
ready for L.P./CD release

Date: October 12, 2014 12:00

It's very different from the one linked in the first message is it?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 12, 2014 15:53

NeddieFlanders
runaway
A master tape of the Rolling Stones outtake, "It's A Lie," recorded but never released during the sessions for their "Undercover" album. We obtained this from the late great Art Collins, former head of Rolling Stones Records. Collins' letter of authenticity describes how this track was recorded by the band during sessions booked for the band under the pseudonym "Fall Fire". This rough mix tape was made for the band's review, but it wasn't used for the album. The box is dated 3/20/81. Collins' letter is quite descriptive, noting that "during this period there was a lot of bad attitudes flying around within the band." A unique Stones collectible with impeccable provenance.

[recordmecca.com]

Fall Fire was an early working title for Tattoo You. If It's A Lie was in that collection, then it was maybe briefly considered for inclusion. But it surely comes from the Some Girls- or Emotional Rescue-sessions, not from before or after.

N

I'm confused here. Does Collins remember something wrongly - mixing TATTOO YOU with UNDERCOVER, or what? confused smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 12, 2014 17:11

NICOS
Here you go..............(changed with an other clip as the previous was a bit stupid

I would call it "A slideshow of unrelated pictures" instead of a clip smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 12, 2014 17:15

Koen
NICOS
Here you go..............(changed with an other clip as the previous was a bit stupid

I would call it "A slideshow of unrelated pictures" instead of a clip smoking smiley

Your right but the one I posted before was a "A slideshow of stupid unrelated pictures" grinning smiley

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: October 12, 2014 19:27

VideoJames
LiveAtHidepark
VideoJames

I Checked, I have 3 takes of this track one runs 4:41 another 5:02 but both of these takes are very raw and not finished for release. My 4:21 is a finished master copy
ready for L.P./CD release

Thanks for answering, James.

4'41 raw take is probably the one that appear on many bootlegs.
5'02 raw take, I don't know
4'21 finished take, I don't know again !

So there is a fourth take in circulation, lasting 5'21, a raw take in stereo with harp.

Date: October 12, 2014 19:44

They list a longer version here [dbboots.com] could be an error of course, don't think I have that boot.

[868] 1978-01-05 Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France
[595] PLACE PIGALLE 04:36 A Vinyl Gang Product
[789] Place Pigalle Vol. 2 04:41 Save The Earth
[958] PARIS RESULTS VOL.2 04:41 OUTSIDER BIRD RECORDS
[1002] Paris Results 04:37 DOG n CAT Records
[1415] Paris Results 2007 Remastered 04:43 Singer's Original Double Disk
[1457] GIRLS, PILLS & POWDERS 04:30 Pignose Records
[2702] BLACK AND BLUE OUTTAKES 05:23 REBEL YELL FACTORY

--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home