Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Billy Preston - The Stones secret Live weapon
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2014 03:08

stonesrule
Great post Sicilian!

Don't believe anyone but Rockman referenced "That's the Way God Planned It."

Billy's bravado performance in "Concert for Bangla Desh" is a total upper!
The full film footage of that amazing concert used to be on YouTube. Don't know if it still is but it's worth searching the net for.

Totally agree with you stonesrule! The two keyboard players Billy Preston and Leon Russell really rocked my world with their 1971 Concert for Bangladesh performances.

Here's a thread on iorr where I posted the whole show. Hopefully the link still works. peace

[www.iorr.org]

Damn, it looks like Apple Corps blocked the youtube video. But this is one of the videos that is worth paying for, imho. I wonder if proceeds from new sales still go to a charitable cause?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-26 03:13 by Naturalust.

Date: October 26, 2014 11:13

When he was in his element he was a joy to watch; on the Hammond B3. The way he stole the show at the Bangla Desh Benefit. Or when he did "Isnt it a Pity" in the Concert for George movie.
I been avoiding this thread because I thought I'd be in minority with my opinion of him in a BP thread. But I sdee that many others here feel the same I do.
Live I thought he added here and there: when he was trading licks and hips with Jagger; the co-vocals in "Cloud", "Aint too proud to beg", "Move". But his synth, especially in the end sections of BS, JJF, SFM, SFTD was atrocious!
I like his work on "Black & Blue". It haoppened that they were a lead guitar short, and also in their funky phase, so this was the reecord for him. Other than that he should always be a hired gun, brought in for what suited him; like "I Got the Blues".
"No Use in Cryin" would have been perfect for him.
I wasn't aware of him bad-mouthing the Stones. I can't really see that. When he died I learned a lot more about him and his life, and I heard how he struggled with his demons; like we all do.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 24, 2015 04:31

New Billy Preston story >>> [blogs.ocweekly.com]

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: January 24, 2015 04:37

Whatever the circumstances of Billy's departure, the band, or at least Mick, must have reconciled with him, as he appeared on both Wandering Spirit and B2B.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 24, 2015 05:20

Title5Take1
New Billy Preston story >>> [blogs.ocweekly.com]

Wow. That was an interesting but rather sad article on the current state of Billy's financial estate. @#$%& lawyers and business people fighting over a piece of the pie and from the sound of it playing dirty ball. Thanks for the post Title5Take1. peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 24, 2015 09:05

Greatest thing he ever did was save the Beatles from themselves on the Let It Be album.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 24, 2015 09:57

71Tele
Greatest thing he ever did was save the Beatles from themselves on the Let It Be album.

Yeah, without him or George Martin, I just wonder what Beatles ever would have been. GM was the musical genius of the Beatles.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home