Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Steve Winwood
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 2, 2014 00:33

Saw him play last night at Red Rocks with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Both were awesome and such an incredible show. One thing that struck me is the lack of respect some of the younger people had for Winwood. Saw what looked like high school or college kids making fun of him. Feel like maybe they just view his for his 80s music.

Anyway my wife and I loved the show and was wondering if there are any connections with the Stones and Winwood. I know he did the Howlin Wolf sessions but didn't he play on a Stones song in the late 60s, or am I just thinking of Dave Mason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 08:45 by bv.

Re: Steve Winwood
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:00

I am so looking forward to the show next week in L.A.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:21

I've seen him multiple times - most recently a couple months ago headline at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood.
He and his band are all virtuoso's. Don't know if they have time to play extended jams while opening for Petty, but I'm sure it was great.
Still think Petty should be opening for him...

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:34

He played on one of the versions of memo from turner, from the film performance featuring Mick

Date: October 2, 2014 01:40

Hairball
I've seen him multiple times - most recently a couple months ago headline at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood.
He and his band are all virtuoso's. Don't know if they have time to play extended jams while opening for Petty, but I'm sure it was great.

That would be nice. When I saw ZZ Top open for Petty at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago, ZZ played about 80 minutes. I've seen Winwood 4 times, most recently with Clapton (& previously with Traffic twice and Blind Faith way back when). He is a great musician and a great songwriter.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:53

BluzDude
Hairball

That would be nice. When I saw ZZ Top open for Petty at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago, ZZ played about 80 minutes. I've seen Winwood 4 times, most recently with Clapton (& previously with Traffic twice and Blind Faith way back when). He is a great musician and a great songwriter.

And an incredible voice.................

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:53

SilverBlanket
He played on one of the versions of memo from turner, from the film performance featuring Mick

Here it is.

As a non-musician, I am constantly impressed by things like this. In interviews, Jagger seems to say that he had nothing to do with it after laying down the vocals. They replaced the entirety of the backing tracks to create the version we know from the film soundtrack, and it sounds perfectly natural, as though it was always that way.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 2, 2014 06:38

Winwood has denied playing on Memo from Turner.

[www.winwoodfans.com]

Re: OT: Steve Winwood
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: October 2, 2014 17:37

I posted this in the Petty thread, but I saw the show last week and Winwood was fantastic. His voice is as vibrant as ever and he sings all of the old classics in the original key. I wish he would have played more than one hour. Before the show I could see him standing by the side of the stage, casually talking to some people. If you didn't know him, you could easily assume he was a roadie or stage hand, not a famous musician. He and his band just strolled on stage while the lights were up and started playing, no fanfare or anything.

Petty still draws a younger crowd and I think a lot of them are not familiar with Winwood's older stuff. I saw a lot of 20-30 yr olds just hanging out in the consession area when I went out there at the end of his set. The older crowd sure appreciated him. He got huge applause after most every song, and several standing ovations. Those old Traffic and Blind Faith songs sounded fantastic.

Hound Dog
Saw him play last night at Red Rocks with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Both were awesome and such an incredible show. One thing that struck me is the lack of respect some of the younger people had for Winwood. Saw what looked like high school or college kids making fun of him. Feel like maybe they just view his for his 80s music.

Anyway my wife and I loved the show and was wondering if there are any connections with the Stones and Winwood. I know he did the Howlin Wolf sessions but didn't he play on a Stones song in the late 60s, or am I just thinking of Dave Mason.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:40

Steve Winwood opens for Tom Petty??? - sorry I don´t get that.
Is it layoutet a double bill?
Or is the legend Steve really the opening act for the younger legend Tom??

Date: October 2, 2014 18:58

Crackinup, sounds just like the show we were at, I'm in my 30s and wife is in her 20s, but Steve Winwood has always been one of our favorites.

And yeah should be a double bill for sure of not Petty opening for Winwood, but Tom Petty is just more popular these days. I like them both but for me Traffic is one of the great bands ever.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:07

bam
Winwood has denied playing on Memo from Turner.

[www.winwoodfans.com]

The version on Metamorphosis is not the version on YouTube I linked to, which has the same vocals as the final released version, but completely different backing tracks. I'm not familiar enough with Traffic to have an opinion, but this is the version that supposedly has its members backing Jagger.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:14

Hound Dog

Saw the MS Garden show. Winwood GREAT. Petty was a bore

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 2, 2014 22:05

Hound Dog,

Thank you for your posting; Winwood didn't play on Stones recordings, though he worked with Brain Jones on Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. He did cover Under My Thumb with Blind Faith, although that was a live recording at Hyde Park.

Speaking of blue eyed soul singers: Steve Marriott sang backing vocals on In Another Land.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 2, 2014 22:17

tomcasagranda
Hound Dog,

Thank you for your posting; Winwood didn't play on Stones recordings, though he worked with Brain Jones on Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. He did cover Under My Thumb with Blind Faith, although that was a live recording at Hyde Park.

Speaking of blue eyed soul singers: Steve Marriott sang backing vocals on In Another Land.

what did Brian play that was used on Electric Ladyland?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 2, 2014 22:57

Brian played percussion on All Along The Watchtower.

He was going to contribute sitar to Voodoo Chile Slight Return, but Jimi and company thought against it.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 2, 2014 23:15

tomcasagranda
Brian played percussion on All Along The Watchtower.

He was going to contribute sitar to Voodoo Chile Slight Return, but Jimi and company thought against it.

I don't think he got a credit on the album did he? he was around for some of those sessions and of course Winwood is credited...
..hmmm..

I love that album.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:36

Steve is a great guy and worked in his place near Northleach ,Glos. many years ago. Had a glass or two of wine outside in the garden with his missus,while he was rehearsing with Jim Capaldi and his bandmates in the stables,studio type thing outside . Getting ready for a Traffic tour of North America in the '80's.

Believe it or not,didn't realise it was his pad until I was in the loo and could see these pics on the wall ,of The Stones ,Beatles and other mates in the grounds of his place.

Just a nice Brummy to chat too, and only when you say goodbye,and the years go by, what a great talented guy I have met. Still remember it all, but I was just another guy who does a job in your house. smiling smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 3, 2014 01:16

I have always been a Traffic/Winwood fan. His tour with Eric Clapton was spectacular. They were spurred to do their best by each other.

Date: October 3, 2014 01:25

triceratops
I have always been a Traffic/Winwood fan. His tour with Eric Clapton was spectacular. They were spurred to do their best by each other.

...and it really showed thumbs up

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: October 3, 2014 03:48

Hound Dog
Anyway my wife and I loved the show and was wondering if there are any connections with the Stones and Winwood

[url=http://

][/url]

Well, maybe it's not the kind of connection you are alluding to, but Blind Faith (Steve Winwood was the singer) performed Under My Thumb at Hyde Park in 1969 (as already mentioned by tomcasagranda, I apologize, I noticed it later). I don't know if I will manage to post the video from youtube, normally when I try only the link appears … (in any case you can search Blind Faith, Under My Thumb).

There are some beautiful passages or chord sequences, the song sounds very melancholic and rarefied, even if I think that in terms of vocal phrasing Steve could have put a little bit more of rhythm and warmth in it; don't misunderstand me, Steve, besides being very talented, is the incarnation of “warmth and soul”, I'm only referring to this particular rendition of the song; maybe he wanted it to sound “ethereal”. What a bore it must have been for the drummer, “His Highness” ginger baker, who openly despised the Stones as musicians; maybe he thought that he could ennoble something intrinsically poor, but in my humble opinion some talent and merit should also be conceded to the composers of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-03 04:02 by zumabitch.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 3, 2014 04:30

triceratops

One of the five best concerts I've ever been to.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 3, 2014 13:13

He is the Mozart of rock.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 4, 2014 00:03

caschimann
Steve Winwood opens for Tom Petty??? - sorry I don´t get that.
Is it layoutet a double bill?
Or is the legend Steve really the opening act for the younger legend Tom??

Anybody out there helping me on that?

Date: October 4, 2014 00:20

Steve is opening for Petty, only played about an hour.

And yes I am very familiar with that Hyde Park Under My Thumb, I love that whole dvd.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: October 4, 2014 03:15

He's a fantastic guitarist as well. Can hold his own with just about anyone.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 4, 2014 05:11

Terrific singer, musician, and songwriter. His Traffic years were spectacular, Blind Faith was terrific, and his solo years have been always worth listening to- I Always loved his keyboard work on Hendrix's 'Electric Ladyland" and George Harrison's 1979 release of the same name -- particularly on "Love Comes to Everyone"
The live release a few years back with Eric Clapton was really good as well--

So-- if younger people are poking fun at Winwood, so what-- they have no idea of his history or who he is-- its their loss-- they probably aren't there for the music anyway- the people who KNOW, know its a killer team up !

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 13, 2014 01:20

pepganzo
He is the Mozart of rock.

How on earth did Stevie ever come up with "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"? Love the sax throughout there, Chris Wood.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 13, 2014 08:24

I don't really see what's to make fun of. confused smiley I mean, what form did this mockery take? He's just a guy who plays music and sings (very well).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home