Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith in Pirates...some news
Posted by: Buddy Young ()
Date: June 15, 2005 11:28

Are Disney's "Pirates" sequels about to set sail without Keith Richards?
It's less than two weeks 'til production is actually due to begin on those two high-anticipated follow-ups to "The Curse of the Black Pearl." But -- based on what Jim Hill has been hearing lately -- this Rolling Stone vet may have already passed on the opportunity to play Capt. Jack Sparrow's pop. Plus other "Pirates" -related news.
by Jim Hill
Late last fall, it was all that "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" fans could talk about. The rumor that Keith Richards -- the rock legend who supposedly inspired Johnny Depp's performance in the first "Pirates" picture -- had agreed to play Capt. Jack Sparrow's dad in the sequels.

Well, with less than two weeks to go 'til the official start of production, word has begun leaking out of producer Jerry Bruckheimer's office that it might be a bit premature to definitively say that the Rolling Stones vet is definitely going to appear in "Dead Man's Chest" as well as the yet-to-be-named third fim in the series.

"What's the problem?," you ask. Well, it appears that Disney's reps & Keith's people can't quite come to terms over what Richards' share of the "Pirates" booty should be. Given that Depp is reportedly recieving more than $20 million (as well as a chunk of the picture's back end) to reprise his role as Capt. Jack, Keith was supposedly looking for a similiar sized check to play Johnny's pappy. And -- given that Richards was only supposed to spend four days shooting his part of the picture (Whereas Depp will be on-set for the full 8-to-10 months that "Pirates II" & "III" are in production) -- Well ... I guess you can understand why the Mouse might be reluctant to give this rock star a seven figure salary for what is basically a glorified cameo.

That said ... Folks close to Bruckheimer's production office still say that it's still way too early to count Keith out. "We're going to try & keep the lines of communication open," said one un-named insider."With the hope that -- sometime between now and the end of October -- we can come to some sort of financial arrangement that both sides can live with. We still very much want Keith Richards to be a part of these pictures. To have Sparrow father & son on screen together. But -- as of this moment -- the numbers just aren't lining up. Maybe further on down the line, they will."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Charlene for finding in the latest Premiere Magazine, Gore Verbinski Talks;
Reluctant to give up too many details about Pirates, he does reveal that in the second installment, "Jack Sparrow has sold his soul to the devil." As for the casting of Keith Richards as Jack's father, "there's no contract. It's more like Johnny talked to him. When it comes down to the shoot day, if he shows up, he's in the movie." He pauses. "It's Keith Richards. I don't think the movie means as much to him as he does to the movie."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After Johnny Depp famously based his portrayal of Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean on Keith Richards, there was talk of the Rolling Stone making a cameo appearance in the sequel, playing the pirate's father. But the wrinkly rocker's son Marlon told me at last week's Ivor Novello Awards: 'He'd love to do it, but it looks as if the window of opportunity has passed. He's just too busy working with the Stones.'

Listen to my new album on www.bowemusic.nl!

Re: Keith in Pirates...some news
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 15, 2005 11:57

Well, two interesting quotes:

"Given that Depp is reportedly recieving more than $20 million (as well as a chunk of the picture's back end) to reprise his role as Capt. Jack, Keith was supposedly looking for a similiar sized check to play Johnny's pappy."

"'He'd love to do it, but it looks as if the window of opportunity has passed. He's just too busy working with the Stones.'"

I hope the the reason to the ridiculous request some $20 is the thing supposed in the latter quote: his dedication to his true job. And I suppose the Stones really are in a hurry these days. Keith is needed there.

- Doxa

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 15, 2005 13:28

I knew this was not going to happen four months ago as there has never been any thing in writing signed. If Keith turns up they'll just slot him in? That won't happen either (what they just rewrite the script on the spot to fit him in?).

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: June 15, 2005 14:08

Personally I don't give a shit if Keith will be in the movie or not. The first one sucked really, although Depp's part was kind of ammusing I guess.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:12

I don't give a @#$%& if Keith is in the flick or not. What I do care about is the fact that Keira Knightley will participate. She's totally @#$%& hotter than hell.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:25

I think its a real shame Keith aint in there.
It would be a great move and bring the whole Stones think to a new and different audience.
It would possibly also piss on Jaggers bonfire again....Freejack anyone?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:27

I'd like to see Keith do a sort of smallish role (& be real cool in it) the way I dug seeing William Burroughs (who I likewise loved for his 'main job', not acting) in Drugstore Cowboy. I cant imagine K or his people really expect 20 mil, it may be just an excuse to get out of it & stay on Stones course. He probably agreed on a lark during some heavily lubricated dinner w/ Depp...I recall going to a German library/cultural center to see Anita (major role) & Keith, who is credited, in "Michael Kohlhaas - Der Rebel" (excuse spelling, didnt look up title) - if you blinked you'd miss Keith, but I made it a point not to blink.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2005 00:54

Better to have Keithy Boy bunkered down in the studio working on a Stones album than hangin' around with Deppy over at the Disney camp.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: June 16, 2005 04:32

As cool as it would be to see Keith on the big screen, I'd rather see him at home where he belongs...

Date: June 18, 2005 10:46

He probably wouldn't remember his lines anyway...so maybe it's better this way

;-)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 18, 2005 16:13

Give Keith some lines he can remember - like:
Oh storm is threat'ning my very life today
If I don't get some shelter, oh yeah I'm gonna fade away
War, children, its just a shot away

You got the silver, you got the gold
You got diamonds from the mines
and thats allright it'll buy some time
;-)

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: June 18, 2005 18:19

I think money is just an excuse to refuse his part in this movie. I think keith is really not be able to act in movie. I think he shouldn't be a good actor. But a good guitar....

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 18, 2005 18:31

Buddy Young wrote: "He probably wouldn't remember his lines anyway...so maybe it's better this way"

Sure, that's the reason that Keith is in charge of mixing the new album, DUH>>>because he has no memory? Gimme a break!

They all forget their lines on occasion, even Mick does, actually quite often, Mick makes up his lines in a song, it's not unusual, and it doesn't mean that there is a memory problem.

Very funny tho. Ha. ha.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-18 19:13 by LISMM63.

Date: June 18, 2005 19:06

Don't take the joke too seriously LISMM63...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 27, 2005 15:56

Johnny Depp seems to have that it's happening. See scifi.com today(27/6)

Richards Coming To Pirates

Johnny Depp, who reprises the character of Captain Jack Sparrow in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, told SCI FI Wire that he and director Gore Verbinski are still trying to schedule scenes with Rolling Stones rock star Keith Richards, who will play Sparrow's father, but that it looks promising. "It looks like it's going to happen," Depp told reporters at a news conference in Nassau, Bahamas, where the films are shooting. "But I don't know when. It's all going to depend on where we are and where he is, because he's got a little thing called the Rolling Stones tour to do."

Posted by: wayno11 ()
Date: June 27, 2005 16:26

the only lines keith will do are white ones on a mirror

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 27, 2005 16:56

Part of the script:

Sparrow, Jr: "Hey Dad, how are you"

Sparrow, Sr: "It's good to be here. It's good to be anywhere"

Sparrow, Jr: "What about those stones I told you about?"

Sparrow, Sr: "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum"

grinning smiley

- Koen.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 27, 2005 18:00

Hopefully Keith will get in the movie and they can play: S. for the Devil from
Ya's Ya's in the background, the last part of the song with Mick Taylor's
somking leads!!! then Capt. Jack Sparrow can ask him " who's that playing
those Leads"??? MLC

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 27, 2005 18:46

It's probably a blessing in disguise. Check out the overacting in the She Was Hot promo especially when the redhead first appears in Keith's room. Ham sandwich anyone?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 28, 2005 13:50

From Dark Horizons:

'It's looking very good. I've talk to Keith about it and he's been super sweet and keen to do it and it's looking very good. We are just hoping that we can work out the dates with the Stones tour and everything but if that happens, you talk about a dream come true. Get to be a pirate with Keith Richards? Does it get better than that?'

So it will have to happen in the next 30 days I suppose, forget promoting the album or rehearsing?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 28, 2005 14:36

I hope that the real reason Keith isn't there is because of his dedication to the band. He should do the damn movie for free. he don't need 20 million k. he doesn';t even have time to spend it.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 28, 2005 17:59

well...by that logic, he should do the album and tour for free! it don't work that way in the real world, Chelsea....

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 28, 2005 18:19

The Truth:

They tour every few years because they have to refill the coffers, the Stones, all of them live an expensive lifestlye.

Any money the solo Stones can make would be theirs to keep, and not distributed over the ROLLING STONES business. I'd think Keith would want to do it. He may still. Wasn't he on set in February?

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 28, 2005 18:45

Doesn't Charlie say in According to... that touring is his job and that's how he and Ronnie make their money? As I recall he was quite candid about this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home