Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Help Sting Harvest His Tuscan Grapes And Olives For $345 Per Day (You Pay Him)
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:36

To be slightly fair to Sting it seems that wineries and other "one percenter" food scenes are extracting similar money from guest-laborers......who I suppose never visited a farm or did any agricultural work.
I have 12 fruit trees, some grapes and other "things" growing on my suburban property. I have gotten all romantic ideas about agricultural work out of my system years ago. Especially ones you must pay for at Stings Italian estate.
(Hey Sting! I picked some of my own delicious black grapes a few days ago) smiling smiley

Thanks to all sarcastic posters here for giving me some laughs! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-29 22:38 by triceratops.

Re: OT: Help Sting Harvest His Tuscan Grapes And Olives For $345 Per Day (You Pay Him)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:37

This is insidious!

For anyone contemplating on doing this, it's just the beginning with Sting.

Ultimately the real plan is to get people to pay 1000 Euros per week to harvest the "Fields of Gold" estate where he's planning on growing corn for ethanol.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:40

treaclefingers
This is insidious!

Ultimately the real plan is to get people to pay 1000 Euros per week to harvest the "Fields of Gold" estate where he's planning on growing corn for ethanol.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!

Ten Summoner's Tales (1993) was his last good album. "Fields of Gold" was on it. A lovely tune

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:42

Kurt
Dear Sting,

You are a tool.

Sincerely,
Kurt

thumbs up

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:47

My family is from Tuscany and my dad always compensated me for helping out in our tiny olive grove, my late uncle had a wineyard and he was very generous with our family whenever we helped. You should not pay for working; you should be compensated for your time 'cause you are worth it!
Stink is taking the p***eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-29 22:59 by desertblues68.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:54

and for an extra fee, Stung will let you pick up road apples

Posted by: LouisianaSwamp ()
Date: August 30, 2014 03:25

triceratops
To be slightly fair to Sting it seems that wineries and other "one percenter" food scenes are extracting similar money from guest-laborers......who I suppose never visited a farm or did any agricultural work.

Reminds me of the bit below from the 2014 humor book The Very Minute Manager :

"If you’re trying to move up in the business world, and want, say, Carlos Slim to do something for you, you could perhaps work up a tactic like Tom Sawyer’s when he was whitewashing his fence on his Aunt Polly’s orders, and neighbor Ben came along on his way to going swimming and snottily put Tom down for having to work. Tom was a little manipulator, and pretended he was whitewashing for fun, and Ben believed him, and ended up giving him an apple if he could whitewash, too. So Tom sat in the shade while neighborhood boys came by and paid him with various gimcracks so that they could whitewash the fence, and, `when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was literally rolling in wealth.' "

Date: August 30, 2014 04:32

triceratops
treaclefingers
This is insidious!

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!

Ten Summoner's Tales (1993) was his last good album. "Fields of Gold" was on it. A lovely tune

Unfortunately that's probably where he got the idea for the "Fields of Gold" estate.

Hadn't made that connection.

Date: August 30, 2014 06:16

dcba
keefriffhard4life
i guess people here don't understand vineyards all over the world do this exact same thing. really very common. people go to these things and treat it like a vacation

Common for poeple among the 1% or idiots who think it's so chic to pay for this but among regualr folks it's usually the other way around : you get paid for picking grapes.
You're fed 3 times a day and you're housed. You're also generously supplied with (rather low-grade) wine from the domain you work at... (ouch my head). You get to meet colorful people and sex with co-workers is not bad... (see the "generously supplied" part of my diatribe) winking smiley

i know people who did it at a vineyard about 100 miles from here. cost $300 and no these people aren't rich. they wanted to do something different, learn about how the wine was made, pick the product, they were provided lunch and a glass of wine. they got to keep the glass. they purchased a bottle of wine at the end of the day

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 30, 2014 07:07

I've stayed at estates in Italy with working orchards/farms, great food harvested from the land, etc.
Walking or riding tours of the property are usually offered, as well as winery tours/tastings/talks...
but not toiling in the fields and paying $350 for that privilege.

Date: August 30, 2014 08:16

swiss
I've stayed at estates in Italy with working orchards/farms, great food harvested from the land, etc.
Walking or riding tours of the property are usually offered, as well as winery tours/tastings/talks...
but not toiling in the fields and paying $350 for that privilege.

did you read the article. you get a picnic, wine tasting, learn about the soil, the vines and trees, and techniques for harvesting.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:48

I'll let tourists from New Jersey do the dirty work for Stink, I'll be sipping wine at a nice cafe in Cortona or Civita.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 30, 2014 10:59

You don't seem to realize that this offer is not intended for music fans from the general public at all but instead, for the well-to-do gourmet and his wife and friends from the jet-set who would pay anything to experience a healthy lifestyle.

Sure, at first glance, the offer sounds hilarious and really far out there but it's obviously meant for people with a high income who want to experience the "normal life" of a farm hand for a day, all the while, during the picnics, they are being served the exclusive high-priced foods from in the local area where this farm is located. And nobody seriously would expect the clients who buy into this work day at the farm to be supervised by a tough foreman. Or would you?

One thing is certain: this offer is not meant for Sting fans at all, he just happens to be the owner of the property. The paper obviously used this fact for its core business which is sensationalism. And this thread is proof they got you!

Date: August 30, 2014 11:29

Disagree billwebster.

The geezer is a moneygrabbing ar**h*le, who will take the money off anyone .

If you're unfortunate enough to be a Sting fan, and you really wan't this $345 rip off, and have to scrimp and save for it, he will quite willingly take yer money.

No conscience about it at all.

Sums up what I've always thought about him and Bono and a few other Saintly,in their own opinion, people.

Too full of their own importance.

Date: August 30, 2014 12:47

crawdaddy
Disagree billwebster.

The geezer is a moneygrabbing ar**h*le, who will take the money off anyone .

If you're unfortunate enough to be a Sting fan, and you really wan't this $345 rip off, and have to scrimp and save for it, he will quite willingly take yer money.

No conscience about it at all.

Sums up what I've always thought about him and Bono and a few other Saintly,in their own opinion, people.

Too full of their own importance.

i bet the picnic and wine tasting you get over $100 worth of food/drink

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:52

It is a picnic in a field not Fortnum and Masonsmoking smiley

Date: August 30, 2014 12:54

I bet he gets that stuff at Carrefeur or whatever cheap supermarket or wholesaler he can get it from.

$15-20 a head at most.

Money grabbing,bass playing git. winking smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:55

billwebster
You don't seem to realize that this offer is not intended for music fans from the general public at all but instead, for the well-to-do gourmet and his wife and friends from the jet-set who would pay anything to experience a healthy lifestyle.

Sure, at first glance, the offer sounds hilarious and really far out there but it's obviously meant for people with a high income who want to experience the "normal life" of a farm hand for a day, all the while, during the picnics, they are being served the exclusive high-priced foods from in the local area where this farm is located. And nobody seriously would expect the clients who buy into this work day at the farm to be supervised by a tough foreman. Or would you?

One thing is certain: this offer is not meant for Sting fans at all, he just happens to be the owner of the property. The paper obviously used this fact for its core business which is sensationalism. And this thread is proof they got you!

Typical of the wealthy to indulge in this scam and think they had a normal workday
as a farm hand.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 30, 2014 13:12

billwebster

You're 100% right.
Imo what Sting offers is the rural equivalent of gold-plated toilets. If you're among the 1% this thing is normal, but this is laughable if you live in the normal world of normal folks.

Date: August 30, 2014 13:27

dcba
billwebster

You're 100% right.
Imo what Sting offers is the rural equivalent of gold-plated toilets. If you're among the 1% this thing is normal, but this is laughable if you live in the normal world of normal folks.

i wouldn't say 1%. i'd say anyone who makes over $125k a year and likes to visit other countries and likes wine might take sting up on this offer. more than 1% of the population makes $125k+ a year

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 30, 2014 14:24

Hey sting how about you just pick your own you muppet >grinning smiley<

Nate

Date: August 30, 2014 15:02

Rollin' Stoner
and for an extra fee, Stung will let you pick up road apples
Just heard a whisper from an insider. eye rolling smiley

All these rich people who probably haven't got a clue who Sting is, and just wan't to be a peasant for the day, can get 10 % off.

As there have only been 3 takers for this extravaganza , he has offered to play his bass guitar and sing, from a safe distance in the next field, and a pair of binoculars thrown in.
No refund if it's pissin down with rain that day...................and you still gotta pick those grapes. winking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 30, 2014 15:13

It doesn't really bother me if some rick folks want to spend a day pretending to be farm hands, but it ain't for me. I spent summers when I was a kid picking green beans and potatoes with my friends at a farm down the road from where I grew up. We got paid by the peck and half-peck, usually ended up with a few dollars that we blew on candy and junk food. I guess maybe that's the equivalent of what these grown-up grape pickers want to experience, but I bet they'll decide once is enough, especially when you have to pay for the privilege.

desertblues68, my father had some grape vines, he wanted to make a go of it, but the apple trees did better. I think growing fruit is imprinted on Italian men. grinning smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 30, 2014 17:03

Date: August 30, 2014 17:09

I saw him in concert a couple of years ago. Olive Sting.

Posted by: mountainhigh ()
Date: August 30, 2014 18:21

billwebster

One thing is certain: this offer is not meant for Sting fans at all, he just happens to be the owner of the property. The paper obviously used this fact for its core business which is sensationalism. And this thread is proof they got you![/quote

At last someone who knows what they are talking about has posted on this sting harvest subject. All the other sarcastic, rediculous post's sound like they are written by character assasinators who seem to know their victims inside out without having any factual knowledge of their business activities, which is what this is all about not someone trying to make a few bucks.
I am sure sting has enough money to be doing that.
I myself am not a fan of his music but just felt that such vile comments should not be posted on what is mainly for our mutual likings of the Rolling Stones.
A lot has been written in the press of Mick Jaggers liking to keep hold of his money

Posted by: mountainhigh ()
Date: August 30, 2014 18:28

billwebster

One thing is certain: this offer is not meant for Sting fans at all, he just happens to be the owner of the property. The paper obviously used this fact for its core business which is sensationalism. And this thread is proof they got you![/quote

At last someone who knows what they are talking about has posted on this sting harvest subject. All the other sarcastic, rediculous post's sound like they are written by character assasinators who seem to know their victims inside out without having any factual knowledge of their business activities, which is what this is all about not someone trying to make a few bucks.
I am sure sting has enough money to be doing that.
I myself am not a fan of his music but just felt that such vile comments should not be posted on what is mainly for our mutual likings of the Rolling Stones.
A lot has been written in the press of Mick Jaggers liking to keep hold of his money but haven't seen any of you condemned him.
What are you who wrote horrible comments like with your money, scrimpers tight arises,I bet you are...takes one to know one as they say.

Date: August 30, 2014 18:45

billwebster

Wealthy or not, I think you'd still have to be a Sting fan, first and foremost, to want to do this. That would be the appeal of it, wouldn't it? That it's his farm, and his grapes?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-30 18:48 by tatters.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 30, 2014 20:15

Be honest - if it were one of the Stones, wouldn't you do it?

Date: August 30, 2014 20:18

Bliss
Be honest - if it were one of the Stones, wouldn't you do it?

Maybe if they were out there with me, getting their hands dirty.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home