Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: question about keiths book LIFE?
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 25, 2014 02:00

"Beyond all the other crap, the thing that still sits with me was the off handed way I felt he dealt with the death of his baby. For me, I think that's when I crossed the rubicon.

He's in a band I happen to love, and created a lot of the greatest works, but I don't really like him as a person."

On yer page there Treacle. That's exactly what I was babbling about. Not saying anyone else doesn't feel the same regarding this but apart from you and me I've not read anyone say anything similar. He's just not wired right to think what he did about Tara. And for him to be so offhand 30 plus years later had me left cold.

Keith wrote a book about faded memories enhanced to him by others that has him appearing a swashbuckling outlaws of rock that led a life Superman would not have survived. In reality he appeared to me to be an insecure man with an inabilty to be on speaking terms withy the truth. His threats of "telling it how it is" are so transparent they're cringeworthy in a ironically funny kind of way. Which therefore just leaves me with the thought the I read a book about about that is a sad individual. In all departments.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 25, 2014 02:39

In "Life", Freddie Sessler is treated like a loved comrade-in-arms, while Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, and Mick Taylor are basically afterthoughts. Seems strange.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 25, 2014 10:36

It's a great read, the section about guitar playing and Jimmy Reed is worth the price alone.

I don't get the people who slags it off, they do not get it. The best section is between the years 71-83...

Read on mate it will just get better!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 25, 2014 10:44

OzHeavyThrobber
"Beyond all the other crap, the thing that still sits with me was the off handed way I felt he dealt with the death of his baby. For me, I think that's when I crossed the rubicon.

James Fox describes how keith could not even start to talk about Tara without weeping and it took many sessions before he could even get through a few sentences about it. I think To say he didn't care is very simplistic - he had no way of dealing with the enormity of it at the time. I think When he wrote the book his head was full of a jumble of stuff which he tried to sort out in some sort of narrative because he's someone who has not been able to talk about anything important all his life except in sound bites in public. One forgets that he was basically very shy before he was thrown into the public arena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-25 10:54 by EJM.

Date: August 25, 2014 10:46

71Tele
In "Life", Freddie Sessler is treated like a loved comrade-in-arms, while Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, and Mick Taylor are basically afterthoughts. Seems strange.

Well, he has a few tongue in cheek-comments about Bill in there smiling smiley If you don't get easily provoked, there is some love between the lines when it comes to how Bill is portrayed.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 25, 2014 12:22

EJM
OzHeavyThrobber

James Fox describes how Keith could not even start to talk about Tara without weeping and it took many sessions before he could even get through a few sentences about it. I think To say he didn't care is very simplistic - he had no way of dealing with the enormity of it at the time. I think When he wrote the book his head was full of a jumble of stuff which he tried to sort out in some sort of narrative because he's someone who has not been able to talk about anything important all his life except in sound bites in public. One forgets that he was basically very shy before he was thrown into the public arena.

Just fixing the quoting for you EMJ - oh and: Well said. You got it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 25, 2014 15:01

with sssoul
EJM
OzHeavyThrobber

James Fox describes how Keith could not even start to talk about Tara without weeping and it took many sessions before he could even get through a few sentences about it. I think To say he didn't care is very simplistic - he had no way of dealing with the enormity of it at the time. I think When he wrote the book his head was full of a jumble of stuff which he tried to sort out in some sort of narrative because he's someone who has not been able to talk about anything important all his life except in sound bites in public. One forgets that he was basically very shy before he was thrown into the public arena.

Offhand? Keith's description of Tara's death is one of the most painful things to read in LIFE. If you can't read between the lines to see the despair in that passage than I guess there's no explaining it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 25, 2014 15:33

71Tele
well when freddie is taking care of his man , he is going to get more pages in the book. freddie was quite the charachter !

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 25, 2014 15:38

the offhandedness still is what bothers me, about this book. as others have noted, and reading what Keith wrote, he put it out there- he endangered all he says he loves-
its a consequence of the times and the man's way of dealing with life.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 25, 2014 15:51

windmelody
There may be some nice stories in the book, but it remains a huge disappointment. It is written badly, and some episodes are described in an embarrassing way...

Basically it was Keith being interviewed by the author. Keith told the stories as he remembered them, sometimes accurately, and sometimes probably not -- remember he took a lot of drugs.

mickschix
... the thing I found most bothersome was Keith's need to proclaim himself this kind of tough guy-pirate-thug and to make it sound glamorous to pound the drugs like he did. ...His need to become this made-up character is disturbing and childish...

Odd, you say "keith's need to proclaim himself ..." when it comes to this book. I guess you never knew anything about keith before the book.

Gemini
Expectations are the problem, not the book.
....smiling smiley

Eggzactly! It is a book told by a junkie that has played music all his life. Were people seriously expecting it to come off as a Hemingway or Dickens? I loved reading it, Keith stories have always fascinated me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 25, 2014 16:05

stonesrule
I still believe that Keith could write and be totally committed with a much better book today.

Hm. But if so, the experience of writing/signing off on/promoting this book
is a part of what makes him capable of/committed to that book, isn't it.

(My opinion, for the record, is that if Keith feels/felt/had felt the need to present us with a different book,
I'm sure he will/would/would have - but that's up to him, not us.
I don't recall him ever claiming the book was an in-depth examination of his own conscience,
or revelations of his most reflective moments. I imagine he regretted leaving in certain bits,
but I don't think he's obligated to us to rake himself over public coals over it.)

(Oh and: I love the parts about his childhood and the earliest years of the band, and when he talks about music, and the last chapter.
This is my first time re-reading it, and I'm finding it a fine re-read.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-26 00:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 25, 2014 16:48

latebloomer
with sssoul
EJM
OzHeavyThrobber

Offhand? Keith's description of Tara's death is one of the most painful things to read in LIFE. If you can't read between the lines to see the despair in that passage than I guess there's no explaining it.

Exactly, as far as the painful things to read. I however read a very 'fatalistic' attitude about it as far as Keith was concerned. "It happened, how very sad for me, look, what I've gone through here".

Obviously it's sad for him, but he takes no ownership. Who knows what actually went down with the baby's death, but I think they put the baby in harm's way and they're responsible.

Different times...if that had happened today, there would be an investigation.

Date: August 25, 2014 16:58

<but I think they put the baby in harm's way and they're responsible.

Different times...if that had happened today, there would be an investigation.>

By their lifestyle? I don't necessarily disagree, but how many parents don't have have "nannies" (read substitute parents) taking care of their kids, while partying like never before?

I think it's just as common in the rich folks' world today smiling smiley

Date: August 25, 2014 17:20

DandelionPowderman
<but I think they put the baby in harm's way and they're responsible.

Different times...if that had happened today, there would be an investigation.>

By their lifestyle? I don't necessarily disagree, but how many parents don't have have "nannies" (read substitute parents) taking care of their kids, while partying like never before?

I think it's just as common in the rich folks' world today smiling smiley

I think that's what I'm trying to get at Dandy, so forgive me for not being more explicit. If you and your girlfriend want to get totally messed up all the time, (which I don't agree with) at least keep the little ones, your family, safe.

And that doesn't mean driving your four year old around while you're f*cked up, although that appears to have been the lesser of two evils in this situation.

Date: August 25, 2014 18:04

No disagreement, Treacle.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 25, 2014 18:13

Obviously it's sad for him, but he takes no ownership.

I don't disagree either with what you say about keeping your family safe Treacle, but, if I am recalling right, Keith does say he can never forgive himself for not being there, for leaving to go on tour when the baby was so little. So, I think he does blame himself somewhat. In any case, none of us really know what happened, he doesn't even know and he says he's never discussed it with Anita. When all is said and done, crib death is always a mysterious tragedy. It could be that it would have happened no matter what the circumstances.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2014 18:37

71Tele

Nah. Junkies love junkies. Wyman, Jones and Taylor - mere musicians that were in the way.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2014 18:39

LeonidP
windmelody
There may be some nice stories in the book, but it remains a huge disappointment. It is written badly, and some episodes are described in an embarrassing way...

Basically it was Keith being interviewed by the author. Keith told the stories as he remembered them, sometimes accurately, and sometimes probably not -- remember he took a lot of drugs.

It's sometimes accurately, the rest of the time not.

Date: August 25, 2014 18:49

GasLightStreet
71Tele

Nah. Junkies love junkies. Wyman, Jones and Taylor - mere musicians that were in the way.

Yeah, Jones and Taylor were of course completely straight smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 25, 2014 19:41

GasLightStreet
71Tele

Exactly.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 25, 2014 19:44

I sold my copy after realising that Keith ignores
important things and after reading those filthy lines
about Jagger´s "tt". That crap nearly destroyed the
band on their finish line.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 25, 2014 19:59

On a lighter note... I didn't realize how funny Keith can be. The recounting of his Safari made me lol.

At times It sounded like he was taking Mick for granted, on the other hand he also spoke very highly of him in other parts of the book.

I agree that he kind of blew off Mick T. and Bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-25 20:00 by ryanpow.

Date: August 25, 2014 20:10

TooTough
I sold my copy after realising that Keith ignores
important things and after reading those filthy lines
about Jagger´s "tt". That crap nearly destroyed the
band on their finish line.

But then Mick was casually sleeping with the love of his best friends life ......
The thing is, when keith started this book he probably thought it was over anyway because he couldn't play - nothing to lose.

He said several times " I thought at one time that the call would never come again " I wonder if he would ever had the strength to find a new way of playing to deal with arthritis and loss of music memory after the brain surgery, if his wife had not recovered from cancer.
Mick has been pretty free from tragedy until recently and Keith and Patti seemed to have been pretty supportive - perhaps it's brought a new appreciation about how the different ways people work through difficult stuff. The book was just Keith's and it's water under the bridge now.

Date: August 25, 2014 20:36

Where did he say that the call would never come again, EJM? Haven't seen that quote before.

Date: August 25, 2014 23:08

I'll see if I can find the reference -
I think it was around 2011 before the book was released and after the re release of Exile

Date: August 25, 2014 23:09

latebloomer
Obviously it's sad for him, but he takes no ownership.

I don't disagree either with what you say about keeping your family safe Treacle, but, if I am recalling right, Keith does say he can never forgive himself for not being there, for leaving to go on tour when the baby was so little. So, I think he does blame himself somewhat. In any case, none of us really know what happened, he doesn't even know and he says he's never discussed it with Anita. When all is said and done, crib death is always a mysterious tragedy. It could be that it would have happened no matter what the circumstances.

I think the fact they've never even discussed it speaks volumes...I believe Keith is afraid to find out what actually may have happened.

Anyway, driving your 4 year old around out of your gourd is probably not what most people aspire to in terms of quality fatherhood...ironic Marlon was better off in that environment than the alternative.

I understand it's water under the bridge and you can't change the past but it doesn't mean I have to like it, or the way I interpret what he says in the book. He's sad, but he doesn't own it. "It just happened".

In my opinion it wouldn't have happened if the baby were being raised by non-junkies...but that's just my opinion.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 23:43

keefriffhard4life
i am about 60 pages in. does it get any better? right now nothing is really grabbing me. i have read three books this year by other musicians, neil young, ray davies and eric clapton, and they all caught my attention pretty quickly. the stones are my favorite band so maybe my expectations were too high but right now after about 60 pages this one isn't hitting the mark

To me is starts very strong. The story about Freddie and JC is hysterical (and lucky for me I became good friends with both). Then I agree it bogs down a bit. But then picks up thru the end

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 23:51

C'mon bro, the first 10 pages are uproarious. Freddy Sessler is the man and his spirit will NEVER die!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 23:53

Exactly!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 25, 2014 23:58

after the 70's when he kicked heroin he replaced it with alcohol and basically became something he never was before,a drunk.
keith always drank but he began to do it in excess to replace his old habit and it changed his personality.

at first i thought it was funny- the interviewer would describe how he had downed his fourth tumbler of whatever cocktail in the last 45 minutes and he would say a few things,some of it i'd heard before,some of it about the current state of the band,he would ramble a bit but it seemed like no big deal.

but at some point,i cant remember the exact year,he just seemed to go off the rails.the stories became a bit odd and unlike keith-they just sounded like some guy you know who bullshits all the time,and the attacks on jagger became disturbing.no longer just taking the piss out of a friend but like an angry,obsessed person with an axe to grind.

i finally had to accept that a guy i thought for decades was the coolest dude on the planet had become an angry old drunk,it was heartbreaking.i didnt read the book because i knew what it would be-not the mr smooth keith.not that old soul who just seemed to glide through life and let it roll off his back but instead the bitter one with no perspective and nothing left but some silly image to sell.-from the looks of these reviews i was right,its really sad.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home