Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Kenneth Anger: filmed Stones at Hyde Park -- also at Altamont?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 15, 2014 02:27

As mentioned in another thread, Kenneth Anger was at Hyde Park filming the Stones.

Was Kenneth Anger also at Altamont?

thanks
swiss

Re: Kenneth Anger: filmed Stones at Hyde Park -- also at Altamont?
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 15, 2014 03:39

No.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: August 15, 2014 04:17

I'll ask the Altamont phd gal.

The Altamont festival revisited : myth, reality and the uses of the past

Author: Claudine Delhomme
Publisher: 2002.
Dissertation: Thesis (Ph. D.)--Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 2002.

"Did you see them?"
"Coming through the crowd the way they did?"
"They just did it!"

Date: August 15, 2014 06:24

slakka
I'll ask the Altamont phd gal.

The Altamont festival revisited : myth, reality and the uses of the past

Author: Claudine Delhomme
Publisher: 2002.
Dissertation: Thesis (Ph. D.)--Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 2002.

"Did you see them?"
"Coming through the crowd the way they did?"
"They just did it!"

Thanks, slakka! I don't know about this dissertation yet.

Date: August 15, 2014 06:34

Well I've long been a bit obsessed with 12/6/69
Found it in my dearly beloved OCLC World Cat so chop on you Swissie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 06:38 by slakka.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 15, 2014 09:22

Sheesh, you couldn't write dissertations on such interesting stuff back in my day!

Date: August 15, 2014 23:09

Aquamarine
Sheesh, you couldn't write dissertations on such interesting stuff back in my day!

Well, chop on you, Aquamariney! (sorry, just channeling slakka, whose comment above I don't quite get) winking smiley

I reckon there'll be many Stones dissertations in the future...on the sorts of "minutiae" we discuss here...
IORR will increasingly be a valuable source for researchers.

Sometimes when I hear younger people talking about Altamont (because I ask them what they know), the
perceptions are so skewed given the march of time, and how different "culture" is now, from what it was
in 1969. It is sometimes painful to hear the misinterpretations of what 1969 was like. Important to
document as fully as possible now "what it was like" then from the people who were there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this 500-page(!!) Altamont dissertation, which is now a dozen years
old (2002).

Date: August 15, 2014 23:20

Watching the CNN Sixties episode on Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll last night, it was interesting to see the Stones only referred to in passing in the part about Altamont (which mostly used scenes from Gimme Shelter)--the point I guess being that there was a broader context than simply what band happened to be playing when a guy got killed at a rock show, effectively killing the peace and love of the sixties, too. Which is true, I suppose, but after all these years of thinking about Altamont in a Stones-centric way, it was strange to see it just from this perspective.

Date: August 15, 2014 23:51

Aquamarine
Watching the CNN Sixties episode on Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll last night, it was interesting to see the Stones only referred to in passing in the part about Altamont (which mostly used scenes from Gimme Shelter)--the point I guess being that there was a broader context than simply what band happened to be playing when a guy got killed at a rock show, effectively killing the peace and love of the sixties, too. Which is true, I suppose, but after all these years of thinking about Altamont in a Stones-centric way, it was strange to see it just from this perspective.

I'll have to check that out! My 2 Altamont documentaries in the making aren't necessarily Stones-centric.
Being in the SF Bay Area there's a lot of people around with firsthand knowledge of Altamont, and it's necessarily
not Stones-centric (tho there are many other "lenses" and biases). Part of the reason my film is Altamont 360°,
looking at Altamont from myriad perspectives (which often don't jibe).

- swiss

Date: August 15, 2014 23:57

It's very interesting how these events look to different participants--I had a penpal who was at Woodstock, for example, and her account of it, written right after the event, gave a completely different impression to the ones that became famous. For her it was mostly fun camping with friends and creating their own lightshows, with great music as a backdrop, but a bummer when it rained. grinning smiley I'm sure Altamont, as huge as it was, had vastly different perspectives too.

Date: August 16, 2014 07:21

Never seen any interviews with Michelle Phillips in re Altamont.
She was Graham Parsons girl at the time. Bet it would be interesting.

Date: August 16, 2014 09:22

She was interviewed in the CNN show (ditto the one about the music of the 60s), but it's mostly Grace Slick talking about Altamont. Incidentally all of these CNN Sixties shows are going to be rerun next week. It's a good series, worth seeing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home