Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger: My parents didnt want me to be in showbusiness
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 31, 2014 12:37

Mick Jagger: My parents didnt want me to be in showbusiness

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: Mick Jagger: My parents didnt want me to be in showbusiness
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 31, 2014 13:00

Probably most parents think like that

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 31, 2014 14:44

I'm sure they changed their minds once the hits started coming and his having dropped out of school no longer mattered.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 31, 2014 15:19

Harm
Probably most parents think like that

thumbs up +1

Well said, especially concerning the 1960s.

Date: July 31, 2014 21:14

He's quite honest here about touring
"It's very irresponsible, because you don't have to worry. You get to one place and you know you're not going to stay there more than a couple of days. Good, bad or indifferent, you're on to the next place."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:16

The 'older Mick' seems like a very nice person to me.

Date: July 31, 2014 21:22

treaclefingers

Mick Jagger is nice?! Get outta here!

Date: July 31, 2014 21:29

proudmary
treaclefingers

Mick Jagger is nice?! Get outta here!

I think he'd had an incredible amount of success early and at an extremely high level for a very long time. With no one telling you different, you come to believe your own press.

Thinking back, it's probably good that he ventured out on his own in the 80s with the solo stuff. He needed to be completely and utterly humiliated and I think was. Given his stature in the industry, there is no way his solo stuff should have done so poorly but it did.

The good part of that was that he learned what is was to fail, and I believe anyway, very much more be appreciative of the success he's had. I think that show's in his interviews and his behaviour that at least we're privy to.

Also, I think this drives him to try very hard. With Superheavy, that was an excellent project that still didn't sell. He understands that his name alone won't sell a project, so he works incredibly hard to make sure it's successful.

Great work ethic.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:54

<<Given his stature in the industry, there is no way his solo stuff should have done so poorly but it did.>>

But given his age, it's understandable. Once you turn 40, the hits tend to stop charting, no matter what the quality, as the likes of McCartney and Bowie were realizing around that time.

Macca, for instance, released some great singles and albums past the age of 40, 45, and they all failed to make a dent in the charts. By contrast, some of his worst, most critically panned albums became huge commercial successes while he was in his 30s.

The reason is because as the artist ages, the music-buying demographic remains the same.

Date: July 31, 2014 22:15

stonehearted
<<Given his stature in the industry, there is no way his solo stuff should have done so poorly but it did.>>

But given his age, it's understandable. Once you turn 40, the hits tend to stop charting, no matter what the quality, as the likes of McCartney and Bowie were realizing around that time.

Macca, for instance, released some great singles and albums past the age of 40, 45, and they all failed to make a dent in the charts. By contrast, some of his worst, most critically panned albums became huge commercial successes while he was in his 30s.

The reason is because as the artist ages, the music-buying demographic remains the same.

You're probably right.

Regardless, my real point is that the MJ of now, who I quite like, is a product of some of the failures in the 80s. The hubris evident in the past I don't see and I think that's a good thing, he's definitely matured which is hard to do when you're surrounded by 'yes men'.

I think that's made him a better person, and maybe even a better singer.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 2, 2014 02:54

Thanks for posting.

>> "He is currently reported to be romantically involved with 27-year-old New York-based ballet dancer Melanie Hamrick, whom he met in Tokyo in February." <<

Mick with Melanie Hamrick: [Oops, wrong. Corrected below]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-02 20:48 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 2, 2014 13:35

He's also diversified into film production, where the age of the producer doesn't prevent him having success with a worthwhile project (as looks likely to happen with Get On Up, if the early reviews are anything to go by.)

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: August 2, 2014 15:01

Title5Take1

"He is currently reported to be romantically involved with 27-year-old New York-based ballet dancer Melanie Hamrick, whom he met in Tokyo in February."

Mick with Melanie Hamrick:

That's not Melanie Hamrick, that's Noa Tishby in Tel Aviv.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-02 15:03 by Chacal.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2014 17:19

Hardly any lower middleclass parents wants their children to be in showbusiness let alone in a rockband. The reason for that is, of course, that most of them fails.
I guess Mick's parents wanted him to be a chartered accountant. Like John Cleese's parents did...

Date: August 2, 2014 17:35

Self-censorship...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-02 18:20 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 2, 2014 20:46

Chacal

That's not Melanie Hamrick, that's Noa Tishby in Tel Aviv.

I got that pic from a Spanish-language website. Either they're wrong or my high school Spanish failed me:

Mick and Melanie:

More on Mick and Melanie with pics here >>> [celebrity.uk.msn.com]

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 2, 2014 21:01

Quite a revelation here from Mick

Posted by: huricane ()
Date: August 2, 2014 23:04

Date: August 3, 2014 01:24

Thanks Huricane, for the clip. Maybe the last interview Mrs Jagger did? She seems like a good mother. This interview was done in 1967.
I'm sure it wasn't always easy for a conservative, middle-class, English housewife to be the mother of a decadent popstar in the sixties and further on...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 4, 2014 11:57

Very sweet interview with Mick's mum. Love how she keeps referring to him as a boy and youngster.

Macca said in some interview that he couldn't understand the Stones' negative feelings toward their parents because he had nothing but love for his own father.

I think he may have been referring to Brian, whose problems with his parents are well-documented. Bill's father sounds like a petty, spiteful SOB, yanking Bill out of school just before he was to sit his exams. He couldn't bear the thought of Bill outstripping him and rising above his working class roots.

I can't recall Mick saying anything negative about his parents and seems to have always been close to his family, despite the big divergence in their mode of thinking and behaviour.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 6, 2014 21:25

-

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-06 21:56 by Deltics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home