Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: The Cult
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 3, 2014 02:06

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 21, 2014 03:57

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2014 06:05

That 'video' is horrible, JohnnyBGoode!

Date: November 21, 2014 06:07

Red Jesus, from the CEREMONY sessions and the B-side to Wild Hearted Son, with Charley Drayton on bass... killer riff, killer track. One of their best tracks.

Date: November 21, 2014 06:31

JimmyTheSaint
...when were they last heard from?

Not sure what you mean by 'last heard from' so I'll start with...

2006 Return To Wild tours
2007 Return To Wild tour, BORN INTO THIS LP and tour
2008 BIT tour continued
2009 LOVE LIVE tour (Beggars Banquet Records reissued LOVE in several formats)
2010 Every Man And Woman Is A Star and Embers EPs, tours
2011 EMAWIAS/Embers tours continue
2012 CHOICE OF WEAPON LP, tours
2013 ELECTRIC '13 tour (Beggars reissued ELECTRIC with PEACE, the abandoned post-LOVE LP they recorded that was completely re-recorded with Rick Rubin and turned into ELECTRIC)
2014 spring, summer tours
2015 new LP, tour

JimmyTheSaint
In my opinion the Cult are all style no substance. Sure, they look the part and certainly have swagger and attitude. But have they contributed anything 'vital' since "Wildflower" or "Love Removal Machine"?

Yes. But it doesn't matter to you anyway and what your version of 'contributed anything vital' is, at the very least, skewed.

JimmyTheSaint
That's a serious question. Any number of dumbass 80's hair bands could have penned "Fire Woman".

Ahhh. You see, that's the problem. No one else did. And not one dumbass 80s hair band had the sound of The Cult either. So... I can't stand Fire Woman when they play it live - it's a kickin' LP track/single - but you're way off on that one.

JimmyTheSaint
And "Edie" is just cock rock balladry akin to what Def Leppard, Poison, Warrant and Aerosmith were producing around the same time.

That's hilarious. Edie sounds like Tumbling Dice compared to what you compared it to.

JimmyTheSaint
Again, it's nice that you guys are so passionate about them. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong in my assessment.

Ass-ess away then...

JimmyTheSaint
So far, all I've read here is that they have a great album from '84 and have attempted many musical directions.

Uh huh. And Can't You Hear Me Knocking is boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 06:35 by GasLightStreet.

Date: November 21, 2014 07:57

GasLightStreet
JimmyTheSaint
...when were they last heard from?

Not sure what you mean by 'last heard from' so I'll start with...

2006 Return To Wild tours
2007 Return To Wild tour, BORN INTO THIS LP and tour
2008 BIT tour continued
2009 LOVE LIVE tour (Beggars Banquet Records reissued LOVE in several formats)
2010 Every Man And Woman Is A Star and Embers EPs, tours
2011 EMAWIAS/Embers tours continue
2012 CHOICE OF WEAPON LP, tours
2013 ELECTRIC '13 tour (Beggars reissued ELECTRIC with PEACE, the abandoned post-LOVE LP they recorded that was completely re-recorded with Rick Rubin and turned into ELECTRIC)
2014 spring, summer tours
2015 new LP, tour

JimmyTheSaint
In my opinion the Cult are all style no substance. Sure, they look the part and certainly have swagger and attitude. But have they contributed anything 'vital' since "Wildflower" or "Love Removal Machine"?

Yes. But it doesn't matter to you anyway and what your version of 'contributed anything vital' is, at the very least, skewed.

JimmyTheSaint
That's a serious question. Any number of dumbass 80's hair bands could have penned "Fire Woman".

Ahhh. You see, that's the problem. No one else did. And not one dumbass 80s hair band had the sound of The Cult either. So... I can't stand Fire Woman when they play it live - it's a kickin' LP track/single - but you're way off on that one.

JimmyTheSaint
And "Edie" is just cock rock balladry akin to what Def Leppard, Poison, Warrant and Aerosmith were producing around the same time.

That's hilarious. Edie sounds like Tumbling Dice compared to what you compared it to.

JimmyTheSaint
Again, it's nice that you guys are so passionate about them. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong in my assessment.

Ass-ess away then...

JimmyTheSaint
So far, all I've read here is that they have a great album from '84 and have attempted many musical directions.

Uh huh. And Can't You Hear Me Knocking is boring.

i agree with most of this post. the cult are nothing like poison and bands of that type

Date: November 21, 2014 15:19

Failing to get the mystique in The Cult's sound, and mixing it up with the sound of Poison, is a cardinal sin. Outrageous!

Date: November 21, 2014 15:36

Yeah. That... person has a FOX News mentality.

Date: November 21, 2014 15:37

Here are The Cult with The River, sounding just like Poison, Aerosmith and Def Leppard...

Date: November 21, 2014 15:39

Damn does this sound like it's from HYSTERIA or... what, what is a name of a Poison album?

Date: November 21, 2014 15:41

Was that Brett Michaels guesting on NYC? smiling smiley

Date: November 21, 2014 15:43

Here's The Cult sounding just like Warrant...

Date: November 21, 2014 15:46

Here's The Cult's Life Greater Than Death ripping off Angel by Aerosmith...

Date: November 21, 2014 15:53

LOL!

Date: November 21, 2014 16:16

DandelionPowderman

It was Brett Michaels and that... who was the 'band' that was the guy's last name, maybe? Kipper or Winger or something like that? Yeah - that guy.

Date: November 21, 2014 17:45

Wing Kipper...

Date: November 21, 2014 23:04

Hey lets not diss kip winger, he played bass on a bob dylan album and 3 years with alice cooper

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 22, 2014 00:06

Hey, is that CC Deville on lead guitarwinking smiley?

Just kidding, Billy Duffy is King!

Date: November 22, 2014 05:49

From the ELECTRIC 13 tour...

Date: November 22, 2014 06:30

They aren't known for doing covers - they've recorded 3. This one is awesome - and better than the original.

Date: November 22, 2014 10:47

GasLightStreet

Did they do songs from Electric "Peace-style" on this tour?

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 22, 2014 15:44

Not known for doing covers, but certainly known for doing rewrites. Wildflower is just ACDC's Rock n Roll Singer with different words. I'm sure ACDC didn't mind - but it's not the only time the Cult appropriated a known riff in one of their signature tunes, as Stones fans well know.

The Cult are all style and little substance. Maybe they are still a big deal across the ditch, but they barely register on this side of the Atlantic. Currently residing with Spinal Tap in the "where are they now file" - although at least the Tap weren't trying to fool anyone with their parody. That, and they were fiction.

I'll say it again, mediocre head banging bullspit. I'm surprised that so many fans of the world's greatest rock n roll band have such an affinity for them. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Date: November 22, 2014 17:09

They are mainly working and touring in the US. Which side of the "ditch" did you have in mind?

Date: November 22, 2014 18:45

DandelionPowderman
They are mainly working and touring in the US. Which side of the "ditch" did you have in mind?

Don't hear much talk about them, and they pretty much have disappeared from the airwaves, satellite included.

Now that's not necessarily the be all and end all.

I just find them to be pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Date: November 22, 2014 18:50

JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman

Don't hear much talk about them, and they pretty much have disappeared from the airwaves, satellite included.

Luckily, many other fans don't.

Date: November 22, 2014 18:56

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

No. They played ELECTRIC in its entirety in order sans Born To Be Wild, which they replaced with Zap City for all but two shows I think (I was at one of them - it was the only disappointment of the show, not hearing Zap City).

And Billy made sure to represent the LP to his highest ability and pretty much played it the way the album is! I was floored. Because that means he had to dial it down a bit and actually restrain himself. It was awesome. Have you ever seen the goofy Lil' Devil video?

Date: November 22, 2014 18:59

DandelionPowderman
JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman

Luckily, many other fans don't.

"Many" might be a strong word.

Playing a music hall in a city like Chicago with a max capacity of 1600 doesn't suggest a legion of supporters for a band trading on '80s nostalgia.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 22, 2014 19:05

DandelionPowderman

Iggy Pop

Date: November 22, 2014 19:07

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

No. They played ELECTRIC in its entirety in order sans Born To Be Wild, which they replaced with Zap City for all but two shows I think (I was at one of them - it was the only disappointment of the show, not hearing Zap City).

And Billy made sure to represent the LP to his highest ability and pretty much played it the way the album is! I was floored. Because that means he had to dial it down a bit and actually restrain himself. It was awesome. Have you ever seen the goofy Lil' Devil video?

That's great! Yep, I've seen it.

Unfortunately, the only show I've seen was on the The Cult-tour in 1995.

Date: November 22, 2014 19:18

JimmyTheSaint
Not known for doing covers, but certainly known for doing rewrites. Wildflower is just ACDC's Rock n Roll Singer with different words. I'm sure ACDC didn't mind - but it's not the only time the Cult appropriated a known riff in one of their signature tunes, as Stones fans well know.

Actually it's Rock'N'Roll Singer that Wild Flower (from ELECTRIC) is aping. And it wasn't Billy's idea but George Drakoulias, who was the engineer for the record, is the one that suggested it.

Here is how it was originally written and recorded. If you actually play it you'll notice it's nothing like AC/DC's Rock'N'Roll Singer.

Yes, Billy admitted that Dirty Little Rockstar has the essence of Undercover Of The Night to its main riff. But that's it. They've not lifted any other Stones licks. And one could argue that the DLR riff is a appropriation of UOTN's riff.

JimmyTheSaint
The Cult are all style and little substance. Maybe they are still a big deal across the ditch, but they barely register on this side of the Atlantic. Currently residing with Spinal Tap in the "where are they now file" - although at least the Tap weren't trying to fool anyone with their parody. That, and they were fiction.

I'm not sure where you get that The Cult are little substance. That's hilarious. They're all about substance. Hell, they change their substance all the time.

They're big in the US, they're big in Canada. Not as big as they were in the late 1980s but big enough (only The Boss, U2 and the Stones are as big as they were in the 80s). But I've always had the feeling that, post early 1980s, the some people in the UK are a bunch of fickle little twats when it comes to music trends and bands that are actually good. A great example of that is how Oasis is so popular in the UK but the rest of the world sees Oasis for what it is - a sneery yawn and bore of wannabes. If The Cult weren't big enough in the UK they wouldn't bother touring there.

JimmyTheSaint
I'll say it again, mediocre head banging bullspit. I'm surprised that so many fans of the world's greatest rock n roll band have such an affinity for them. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Some people are unable to understand what talent, great musicianship and great songwriting is. 14 million people can be wrong, which Hootie And The Blowfish displayed. People thought GNR's USE YOUR ILLUSION albums were good. Some Stones fans think THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST and DIRTY WORK are great albums. You are clearly one that doesn't get it.

Which is fine. I think Elton John sucks. But I am able to recognise that he's talented, can sing his ass off and has done some pretty good tunes. It's just that he's done some truly awful tunes, which, for some people, is too much.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home