Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Legendary USA Venues
Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 9, 2005 14:18

Time to be Devil's advocate again (ohhhhhhhhhhh what FUN!!).

Are arena venues like Madison Square Garden and the LA Forum or similar legendary equivalents actually as good to see a concert (particularly the Stones)as people make-out?

I guess this is concerning both atmosphere and sound.

Here in London, Earls Court and Wembley Arena have acquired legendary concert status but from my experience, their respective atmospheres are questionable and the sound quality diabolical!!!

I would love to see the Stones at MSG but is the additional cost involved really worth it?

SD

Re: Legendary USA Venues
Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: June 9, 2005 14:21

Not trying to influence you, but there is a magical electic field that thrums thru MSG when the Stones are there. Out of hundreds of bands at hundreds of places...none have ever had this. The Stones at MSG has it every time.

Posted by: eric ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:03

Thats kinda a hard one.... MSG is a magical night. BUT for electic atmosphere and THE EXTRA song... PHILLY is the place

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:21

Where else could they play "Might As Well Get Juiced?
Where else could Ronnie roll out that magic solo on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", that still comes back to me, often, including the crowd reaction that was unique for that show?
Where else did "Out Of Control" get the crowd so mad that once again I was sure they would lift the roof?
Where else do you meet hard core fans from all over the world you did not meet for years, but then they show up for MSG? I have met old friends who go to one show per tour, and they come to MSG for an extra one.
Why is half the house priced at 400 dollars?
Why are most seats great even if you are sitting on the upper levels?
For me, MSG is number one.
Also, the major venue they have played most times in history.
And the nice thing is MSG is in NYC. Great city.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:37

BV, for a moment I thought you were talking about Oberhausen. :-))

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:44

The Fox Theater in Atlanta has great acoustics and atmosphere. They played there in 78 and 81. Keith's first show with the Wino's was also there.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:44

I completely agree. MSG is the ultimate venue for the Stones.

Posted by: cherry red ()
Date: June 9, 2005 18:14

Red Rocks, outside Colorado!
A natural amphitheater nesteld in the massive monoliths and boulders at the edge of the Rocky Mts.
The Fox in Atlanta is one of the all time greats.
The Fillmore here in San Francisco is legendary and just a great place to see a band. The Stones rehearsed there two tours ago I think.
The Warfield in SF is also great.
I think St. Louis has a Fox theater too, didn't they film "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" (I hope that's the name of Keef's Chuck Berry tribute) there?
The Hollywood Bowl Stones show is going to be one of the major events on this tour.
I think that the nicest outdoor venue in the U.S. may well be the Starlight Theatre in Kansas City! It is so gorgeous, situated in a green park with lots of fountains, it has a Tudor-style architecture with large turrets bracing the stage. They are covered with ivy and from them, cloistered walkways encirle the seating area.
That Fox in Atlanta is incredible, Egyptian motifs, a night tmie sky projected on the ceiling with clouds that move, the Arabesque stone designs bracing the stage! In the sitting rooms outside the bathrooms there are reproductions of Tutankamen's furniture.
I liked Hershey park when I was there in 1985. It was like a small football field, flat with a stage on one end. They may have tarted it up since then.
I liked Pac Bell Park last time, but I had second row center seats. That helps.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2005 18:24

Venue-wise - the SF Fillmore is by far the best place I've ever been to - I've seen some of my favorite acts there and the atmosphere has always been ELECTRIC.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 9, 2005 18:54

As a rolling Stones fan, of course I'd like to see the band in a legendary venue as MSG, LA Forum, the Fillmore and those you mentioned are. But going to a Stones gig where the people are seated is a bit...dare I to say boring?

I'd love to see the Stones at the MSG with a spaniard crowd...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:33

cherry red, I think you're right about St. Louis having a Fox also and it was where Hail Hail was filmed. I don't know if it is the same style as the one in Atlanta. The place is one of the few things I know that actually deserves the word awesome.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 9, 2005 20:51

What is unforunate is that most of the older arenas in North America are gone now, replaced by the "generic" new arenas with multi tiers and lots of corporate suites. Great for viewing hockey/basketball and concerts but lacking the aura of the older ones. Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Forum in Montreal, Chicago Stadium, Detroit Olympia, Boston Gardens have all been replaced.
MSG has great history behind it, but I'm sure that the Knicks and Rangers would prefer to play in a new venue complete with all of the corporate suites which generate a ton of cash.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 9, 2005 20:59

Though perhaps not legendary, the Hartford Civic Center is also a very nice place to see the Stones. Small floor, no "sky boxes", and a capacity of only 15,000. I have seen three shows there, two in 99 and one in 02 and they were all very good shows.

Date: June 9, 2005 21:02

I know the San Francisco Winterland shows in 1972 were the holiest of holy grails for many fans. The acoustics were great. I listened to "Winterland Stars" and "Where Angels Fear to Thread" yesterday. WAFTT is sooooooooo much better than I remember! For sheer energy and enthusiasm it runs a close second the LA Forum #1.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2005 21:09

yeah - it was a very sad day when they torn down Winterland - was around 1985 as I recall.

Another great venue that's been remodeled and has attracted the likes of Neil Young and Bob Dylan in recent years is Veteran's Memorial in Sacramento. That's where Keith was electrocuted in the mid-60's. I would love it if the Stones would book a gig there...for old-times' sake :-)

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:10

Of any place to go see them...MSG is on the top of the list

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:19

Agreed about the Hartford Civic Center, that is a great place to see them, nice and small and they always put on a good show there. Red Rocks was mentioned above, I would love to see the Stones play there. I was there a few weeks ago just to check it out, not to see a show, and I couldn't imagine how great it would be if they played there. That has to be one of the coolest places.

As far as MSG, that has to be the ultimate place to see the Stones. Besides the actual areana itself being very old and dumpy. Its historic value is priceless and the Stones seem like they were meant to play there. I have a friend who is a sports writer who has been in the locker rooms and all the behind the scenes areas at MSG and he said its really a dump. But for a concert goer who doesn't see that and just comes to enjoy the show it is the best, it also helps that it is in the center of New York City.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:31

Today's MSG i the fourth. I liked the first MSG better, that one on Madison Avenue. Folks, what an atmosphere...

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: June 10, 2005 02:37

The Garden absolutely rocks. Besides the electric atmosphere when the Stones are there, it also has the best sound system of any arena in America. They take their rock 'n roll very seriously at MSG, and the Stones are at the top of the food chain, of course. There's nowhere else I'd rather see a show.

In other words, catch them there if you can afford to.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: Fingerprint_File ()
Date: June 10, 2005 04:44

MSG os the best bar none

But you cant forget famous areana they always used to play, PHILLY SPECTRUM, LA FOURUM, AND THE INFAMOUS HAMPTON ROADS COL

Date: June 10, 2005 05:10

WAYNEPA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not trying to influence you, but there is a
> magical electic field that thrums thru MSG when
> the Stones are there. Out of hundreds of bands at
> hundreds of places...none have ever had this. The
> Stones at MSG has it every time.

I knew I didn't recognize you from any of countless Grateful Dead shows at Winterland in the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 10, 2005 05:35

Congratulations to SonicDreamer for the most interesting thread of
the past few months. I'd like to hear more about everyone's thoughts
about stadiums and arenas that we've been to. It may come in handy.
Here's mine (all LA, i'm afraid).
LA FORUM: sadly, the Forum is rarely used for anything anymore.
All the sports teams and concerts moved to the God-awful Staples Center.
After MSG, it was THE place to play for bands. Funny, I've stood in it
when it was empty, and it doesn't seem that big. Like MSG, it's the history.
LA COLISEUM: way too big and in a shitty part of town.
Same with the LA Sports Arena, which is right next door. Samller than the Forum
and a real dump. Saw Neil Yopung there. Seemed to me like a high school gym.
ROSE BOWL: lousy parking. Not as big as it looks on TV, strangly.
HOLLYWOOD BOWL: Terrible parking. OK for rock concerts.
AHAHEIM: Different than it was in '78. Back then it wasn't enclosed.
Now it sort of is enclosed, but it looks a lot different than it did back then.
There's more, but I won't bore you.
A good site to look at is
www.ballparks.com

This gives you pictures of stadiums and arenas, past present and future.
I remember seeing one for Europe, but I can't remember it.
Let's hear from more of you in Europe and other places.
to me, this kind of stuff is more interesting than talking
about Moonlight Mile for ages.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:35

Mick dashed buckets of water to me in a cold cold winter from the stage installed on the ice hockey link.
It was KC's Kemper Arena that was built in the desolation row.
Down-and-dirty and very suiting to the Stones.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: June 10, 2005 15:07

I agree with Eric and Erikjjf! And I do love seeing the Stones at MSG BUT the extra money I'd rather put into going to Philly! The BEST Stones show EVER was at the First Union Center, now Watchovia in Sept of 2002! Through the roof with energy and extra songs too. Also, the Hartford Civic Center is SMALL for an arena and I've seen them there 6 times, all great shows! MSG is always alot of extra $$ if you go through brokers and usually you have to because the TM seats BLOW! If you're going to MSG, do not bother if you can only get a 300-400 level seat! Go to Philly and get a 100-200 for less $$$ and see them better!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home