Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Beck in Amsterdam
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 9, 2005 12:52

On Babboon's request.

Beck played the Amsterdam Heineken Music (5.000) last night. Brendan Benson was the supporting act. I had never heard of him before, but will definetely check ou some of his music now. He played a set of +/- 10 songs, that all rocked. Pure and simple American rock. Loved it. It was a shame that when Brendon started playing the venue was only half full at most. Don't understand all those people who walk in just when Beck is entering the stage or some minutes before. When I walked in a hour before the show started there were 45 people (i counted).

[www.brendanbenson.com]

Allright: Beck.
Beck played lots of songs from his new album "Guero", even opened with one of the bonus tracks. "Crap Hands", a song that thrives on all sorts of drums. it was immediately followed by "Devils'Haircut". Great start with Beck jumping up and down with a guitar.
His band contained a dj, keyboardplayer (who also played harp, vibraphone), bassplayer, two drummers, guitarplayer and a guy who was dancing his ass of and incidently grabbed marracas or bongo's. So everything had a swing and in time rock songs even sounded funky!
Beck performed all the favourites: Loser, Where It's At, Devils Haircut, Sexx Laws, but the best songs from last night were the Guero ones. All great. If you don't allready own Guero, be sure to perchase it today.
The interaction with the crowd was not that great, allthough a short improvised story on "Touching Dolphins" and thereby achieving worldpeace, was quite funny. Mocking all that BS an audience has to put up with these days from artists! At the end Beck even let his band have a break and played some solo acoustic songs and one on a old pump organ. They were allright, but the response from the audience was not. The band, sitting at a table and eating beside Beck ("Let the guys enjoy some refreshments"), started hitting the table, glasses and everything on it, during the last acoustic song. It ended up in a new version of Crap Hands. Very, very cool.
The finale: Where It's At and best song of the evening, E-Pro. Loud and mean!
Get tickets if you still can, or fly yo Toronto -->

:::::: 06.07.05: Beck Opening For Rolling Stones ::::::
Beck will open for the Rolling Stones on their current tour in Columbus, OH, Toronto, and Hershey, PA. Check the TOUR section for the dates and ticket info.

[www.beck.com]

Re: OT: Beck in Amsterdam
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 9, 2005 13:47

Brilliant, saw him on the Midnite Vultures tour and he played No Expectations with the opening act (Beth Orton).

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 9, 2005 14:54

GOOD TO SEE A FELLOW BECKSTER ON THIS DAMN BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw him on the Sea Changes (underrated album) tour and at the Carling Hammersmith Apollo in London last week. Both times he was superb and Groovieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee with a capital G in BOLD.

Although he is a kinda understated performer, he has such a "Black" vibe to his sound that you wouldn't think he was a middle-class (I presume) white boy from the USA. The band did @#$%&-up a few times BUT hell it was more rock n' roll, too SLICK is B O R I N G. He is as good with just a solo acoustic guitar as with his full-flow-salvo-firing band, a sthe encore demonstrated. A fantabulous night!!!

IMPROMPTU BECK MEETING, 6 June 2005, London .................

I on the DVD (1st) Floor at the HMV "record" store nearest Oxford Circus and noticed this somewhat familar face cruise across the main display area. The Floor Manager was sorting out a DVD exchange for me and I exclaimed, "Is that Beck?" he didn't register my remark and I continued my surveillance operation while he disappeared to sort out the exchange.

The manager re-appeared and directed me to the cash tills counter and lo and behold who was standing at the till next to me but BECK! I diligently watched him as he pulled a slew of crisp £50 bank notes from an envelope to pay for his DVDs (didn't see what they were....), still trying to figure out if it was really him. He looked like a 23 year old scruffy college student and did not exude any charisma or "star aura", so I was a bit in two minds.

He finished paying just before me but stopped to look at some audio accessories on the left-hand side of the till alley, which gave me the opportunity to approach and ask, "Excuse me are you Beck?" He seemed really phased that someone had recognised him and "on another planet" generally, outrageously laid-back to the point of being virtually comatose. I waffled a bit and commended him on the previous week's gig, then ventured, "will you do a full tour later in the year?" to which he replied, "no that was the tour" (all three UK dates of it!!!!!!!!!!! These bloody young rock stars have it SOOOOO easy!!!!!!).
I exchanged a few more pleasantaries and went my merry way; thought asking for his autograph was too cheesy but probably would have if we had been on the CD floor, where there was Beck product to grab!

My most delightfully surreal rock star encounter after Jimmy Page, in the street just up from Harrods a few years back (and yes we spoke and he shook my hand _ BEAM).

SD

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:28

Cool story, man. You're right, he really does look very, very young. A little man with huge gifts. Saw him years ago at a festival (Werchter 97). Great performance then. Odelay is still one of my favourite recoirds of all time...

E.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 9, 2005 17:03

Brendan Benson is recording an album with Jack White (White Stripes) under the band name The Raconteurs.

from Pitchfork:

"As for the sound of this "totally new" diversion of Jack's, the White Stripes mainman said, "the songs are giant. They're really large." While Benson has told Billboard in the past that, "Some of it sounds like Jack and some of it just sounds like Cat Stevens or something." Jack also added that the new record, which as yet has no title or label representation (though it'd be hard to imagine anyone other than V2 handling it), should come out early next year."

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: June 10, 2005 22:03

Just bought his new album - it's great!
And Baboon Bro - here's the review you asked mr edward for!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 11, 2005 11:37

Yep, Lorenz, I see. Thanx a goddam lot, Comrade edward.
(Another bleeding artist one has to buy every album from... !)
I´ll enjoy the review & following comments in peace &
silence as soon as the little kids´ mum - me Mississ
has come back home & rescued me from the playgrounds...
(no, kiddin´, best place to be along with Stones showgrounds or
near a loudspeaker with Stones music from).

Anyone knows any good links w/ listening samples from recent
Beck albums or other stuff... ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home