Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: New Pink Floyd Album????
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 10, 2014 18:46

Bring it on! I could care less if Roger Waters isn't involved, he hasn't moved me musically in a long time. Yes he is a brilliant lyricist and contributed some good bass lines during his time with PF but I always preferred the work and contributions of Mr. Glimore. I really enjoyed the live shows he did with Pink Floyd without Roger. Roger's voice is shot, imho.

Who still cares if Gilmore is using the Pink Floyd name? Any output we can get from him is better than no output at all and I'm grateful for it. I imagine the production and sound will be amazing. I will pick this up at first opportunity.

peace

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 10, 2014 18:50

Looking forward to Gilmore's solo album.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2014 19:01

I've heard the album twice now and while it's pleasent enough it is just treading water, excuse the pun. It's a cliche ridden album with the remaining members of the Floyd doing what they do best - making languid, atmospheric music for ageing dope smokers.

There's nothing going to jolt you out of your stupor, no heroic guitar solo like the one on Comfortably Numb coming to rescue the ocasion, not even many stirring words to shake up the proceedings.

Oh well, at least they tried.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 10, 2014 19:04

I kept thinking "Sum" and "Anisina" needs lyrics. Would have been nice. smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 10, 2014 19:54

-The Greek, sorry I should have mentioned I only played the audio part of the bluray. Just skimmed over a couple videos that look boring to me. Anyhow I bought it for the 24/96khz audio resolution. The rest of the package is nice as well for 29 euros I think it's a great deal.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: November 10, 2014 20:34

For me, also a great Floyd fan, this release is the surprise of the year!!
It´s a great album with some references to their succesfull past in the seventies.
And it´s a beautiful rememberance to the late Richard Wright!

Date: November 10, 2014 23:07

Mabru
For me, also a great Floyd fan, this release is the surprise of the year!!
It´s a great album with some references to their succesfull past in the seventies.
And it´s a beautiful rememberance to the late Richard Wright!

thumbs up peace

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 11, 2014 05:31

It's a worthy successor to More and Obscured by Clouds; by no means top shelf Floyd, but pleasant enough as soundtrack music.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 11, 2014 07:09

ab
It's a worthy successor to More and Obscured by Clouds; by no means top shelf Floyd, but pleasant enough as soundtrack music.

I think it's pleasant enough as BACKGROUND music.... As in, an elevator. It's as boring as bat sh*t really. If it wasn't labeled as Pink Floyd absolutely nobody would have heard or, as I did, buy it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 11, 2014 14:21

bitusa2012
If it wasn't labeled as Pink Floyd absolutely nobody would have heard or, as I did, buy it.
are you sure about that? if it was called "Dave Gilmour & Nick Mason taking care of Rick Wright's legacy" it would also sound promising. maybe the Floyd label builds up expectations that the record couldn't possibly meet, which is similar to the expectations vs reality of latter-day Stones records. i only listened to the promotional snippets, but i got no expectations for the sake of being positively surprised. everyone should know the 70's will overshadow it anyway.

Date: November 11, 2014 15:26

Nikkei
bitusa2012
If it wasn't labeled as Pink Floyd absolutely nobody would have heard or, as I did, buy it.
are you sure about that? if it was called "Dave Gilmour & Nick Mason taking care of Rick Wright's legacy" it would also sound promising. maybe the Floyd label builds up expectations that the record couldn't possibly meet, which is similar to the expectations vs reality of latter-day Stones records. i only listened to the promotional snippets, but i got no expectations for the sake of being positively surprised. everyone should know the 70's will overshadow it anyway.

IF it was an album BY, say, The Allan Johnson Trio (with apologies to any trio BY that name, a name I TRIED to make up!) NO-ONE, least of all critics, but most assuredly we the punters, would give it a second thought. It's just pleasant, it's NOT a good album, certainly NOT A good Pink Floyd album.

I bought it BECAUSE it's a Pink Floyd album. A band I LOVE. This record is just so ordinary. Nicely played, nicely recorded, but b-l-a-n-d

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 11, 2014 16:05

I really like Pink Floyd but for me this is extremely boring stuff. Why bother???

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 11, 2014 21:49

Yeah, Rick Wright deserves a better testimony than this.

Date: November 12, 2014 00:11

Leftovers from the post-Waters era...bleh.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 12, 2014 00:59

For those who find the "post-Waters era" less than enthralling, it hasn't really been Pink Floyd since 1975, or 1977 at the latest. Animals was the first Pink Floyd album where Rick Wright didn't get a writing credit, and The Wall featured around half a dozen different keyboardists, because, according to Gilmour "[Wright] did very very little; an awful lot of the keyboard parts are done by me, Roger, Bob Ezrin, Michael Kamen, Freddie Mandell...." In fact, in the original vinyl pressings of the album, Rick Wright is not even listed in the sleevenotes.

It was also the Three Floyd for The Final Cut--which, in my opinion, is Roger waters' finest solo album.

So, what does it matter if it's the Three Floyd--albeit a slightly different combination--for the three official releases since then? Perhaps people object to lyrics coming from a slew of writers outside the band (Gilmour, Wright, Mason) more so than they would to keyboards coming from a slew of players outside the band (Waters, Gilmour, Mason).

People who bought The Wall-era version of the band would seem to be content if Waters simply reunited with Gilmour and called it Pink Floyd (and they'd get Nick Mason as well).

Not a lot of people realize that it stopped being Pink Floyd after 1977.

Date: November 12, 2014 02:13

stonehearted

Hmmm...interesting opinion.

Alot of people would say it stopped being Pink Floyd after Syd Barret left, but everyone has a right to their opinion I suppose.

Date: November 12, 2014 02:19

Well, it is a fact that Pink Floyd stopped officially being a quartet during production of the Wall album. Most of the keyboard parts were played by several other musicians outside the band. The quartet of Waters, Gilmour, Wright, and Mason never again recorded together after 1979. Wright performed on the shows following the release of the album, but only on salary--they were officially still only a trio. The last time Pink Floyd performed in public as an official quartet--not counting Live8--was 1977. Not opinion, just fact.

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: November 12, 2014 03:12

I bought the iTunes deluxe version of the album and it is exactly what I was hoping for, a return/tribute to the early Floyd sounds of pre DSOTM. Endless River sounds like a continuation of Atom Heart Mother.

Date: November 12, 2014 03:12

stonehearted
For those who find the "post-Waters era" less than enthralling, it hasn't really been Pink Floyd since 1975, or 1977 at the latest. Animals was the first Pink Floyd album where Rick Wright didn't get a writing credit, and The Wall featured around half a dozen different keyboardists, because, according to Gilmour "[Wright] did very very little; an awful lot of the keyboard parts are done by me, Roger, Bob Ezrin, Michael Kamen, Freddie Mandell...." In fact, in the original vinyl pressings of the album, Rick Wright is not even listed in the sleevenotes.

It was also the Three Floyd for The Final Cut--which, in my opinion, is Roger waters' finest solo album.

So, what does it matter if it's the Three Floyd--albeit a slightly different combination--for the three official releases since then? Perhaps people object to lyrics coming from a slew of writers outside the band (Gilmour, Wright, Mason) more so than they would to keyboards coming from a slew of players outside the band (Waters, Gilmour, Mason).

People who bought The Wall-era version of the band would seem to be content if Waters simply reunited with Gilmour and called it Pink Floyd (and they'd get Nick Mason as well).

All true....but a crap album nevertheless

Date: November 12, 2014 08:28

stonehearted
Well, it is a fact that Pink Floyd stopped officially being a quartet during production of the Wall album. Most of the keyboard parts were played by several other musicians outside the band. The quartet of Waters, Gilmour, Wright, and Mason never again recorded together after 1979. Wright performed on the shows following the release of the album, but only on salary--they were officially still only a trio. The last time Pink Floyd performed in public as an official quartet--not counting Live8--was 1977. Not opinion, just fact.

I agree with the facts you state above which are already well established and pretty much common knowledge.

All I was saying was that your quote: "Not a lot of people realize that it stopped being Pink Floyd after 1977" is an opinion and nothing more.
But when you clarified it with: "Well, it is a fact that Pink Floyd stopped officially being a quartet during production of the Wall album"....yes this is true - no disagreement.

The fact that "Pink Floyd" continues to this day without Roger Waters is something I personally can't relate to, but obviously many others do.
It's the same way that some can't relate to Pink Floyd without Syd Barret, and if we were to use your reasoning, they just may have a point!

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:20

Published to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd, this book from famed British artist STORM THORGERSON explores the images of Pink Floyd album sleeves and the artwork contained therein. Thorgerson’s memoirs of his time spent with Pink Floyd are combined with all the artwork he created to represent the band at each stage of their career.

The new edition 2014 is a fine limited edition of 750 copies in the world in its original version. The deluxe leather-bound publication is presented in a hessian-covered box set. Each has been numbered by hand.

This fourth edition will remind readers of the strong bond Storm had with the works of artists like Magritte. The 255-page 2014 edition has been revamped to offer a state-of-the-art quality rarely seen elsewhere.

Special price
395 euros
Out on november 29, 2014

Size : 260 mm x 360 mm
255 pages on higt quality paper if 200 grm
Over 600 photos and images.
Pure leather-bound cover, hessian-covered box-set.

Mind Over Matter 4. The Images of Pink Floyd by Storm Thorgerson

Diffusion / Distribution Images du Monde

Order at [www.pinkfloydlelivre.fr]

Also available in about 50 places in France (Royal Monceau library, Drugstore Publicis, Parallèles library...)

YM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 18:29 by Yazid Manou.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:46

Silver Dagger
I've heard the album twice now and while it's pleasent enough it is just treading water, excuse the pun. It's a cliche ridden album with the remaining members of the Floyd doing what they do best - making languid, atmospheric music for ageing dope smokers.

There's nothing going to jolt you out of your stupor, no heroic guitar solo like the one on Comfortably Numb coming to rescue the ocasion, not even many stirring words to shake up the proceedings.

Oh well, at least they tried.
"Ageing dope smokers" really have a lot of disposable income to spend

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 20, 2014 02:21

Overall, I really like it. It's what they said it would be and nothing more. A companion disc to Division Bell that they planned on doing at the time but scrapped. Wright's parts are used just as they would have been 20 years ago. I think Rick would be honored and proud.

Date: November 20, 2014 04:41

Not a lot of people realize that it stopped being Pink Floyd after 1977

I saw some great Pink Floyd shows in the late 80's that were just fantastic. The pulled off a lot of material written with Roger as good or better than they did with him. Hard to say this wasn't Pink Floyd. It sure felt like it.

The songwriting of Pink Floyd may have suffered without Roger, especially since he was such a great lyricist, but the live shows continued to be fantastic.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 04:55 by Naturalust.

Date: November 20, 2014 04:56

Naturalust
Not a lot of people realize that it stopped being Pink Floyd after 1977

I saw some great Pink Floyd shows in the late 80's that were just fantastic. The pulled off a lot of material written with Roger as good or better than they did with him. Hard to say this wasn't Pink Floyd. It sure felt like it.

peace

I didn't mean it like it sounded. I was merely speaking to those who think that Pink Floyd ended when Roger Waters left, that is, when it became a band of three instead of a quartet, by pointing out the oft-overlooked fact that Pink Floyd has been a partnership of various combinations of three official members since 1979.

Personally I enjoy lots of post-Waters Floyd myself, and I even own copies of Momentary Lapse, the live albums Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse, and Division Bell--High Hopes is very Floydian and is one of my favorite songs in the entire Pink Floyd catalog.

I even own the Knebworth 1990 double CD, because I especially love Pink Floyd's set--love Gilmour's guitar performance on that version of Run Like Hell.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:23

In all fairness Gilmour did say it was mostly Richard Wright and not really a new Pink Floyd new album. I haven't heard it yet but will be getting it. Just imagine what everyone would be asking knowing it was just sitting around and not being heard. They can't really win can they?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home